Calorie Burn Going Down

Options
Hey Pals.....

I need some insight from you all..... I do Zumba twice a week..... and I dance my BUTT OFF!! I have noticed in the past couple of weeks, that even though I sweat really hard and dance really hard, my calorie burn has been going down [according to my Polar F6]..... I used to burn over 600 calories, now I am down to 540-ish..... I was thinking that my body is getting used to it and so it's "not as challenged"...... Does that mean I am also in better shape? [so I'd like to believe]...... but I am just disappointed that my burn is going down.... I feel somewhat like a SLACKER......

Any insight???

Replies

• Ephena
    Ephena Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    The better shape you are in the less calories your body burns because it doesn't have to work as hard to move itself. Unfortunately :(
  • akgrl1020
    Options
    It means you are in better shape! Your heart rate isn't getting as elevated as in the past. Congrats!
  • jesn311
    Options
    Bump...I'm doing the same thing this week!
  • bluegirl10
    bluegirl10 Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    The better shape you are in the less calories your body burns because it doesn't have to work as hard to move itself. Unfortunately :(

Also I noticed before I gained weight my calorie burn wasn't as high as they are now... So as you lose weight it will go down too, but as long as you know you are giving it your all then that's great! :)
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    It means that you are getting in better shape. My HRM showed lower numbers as I became fitter. However, that just means you have more reason to push yourself harder during the same amount of time! For instance, when I first started maybe my form wasn't as good or my squats weren't as low. Now that I'm fitter, I push myself to work my muscles harder during every move. I take my squats lower, I hold for longer, etc.

You can still do the same workouts, but continue to push your body! :) Once I started doing these things, my burns went back up.

Edit: And don't forget, muscle is better! It means you burn more without doing anything at all, ha ha. :)
  • nygiantschick
    nygiantschick Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Your body is also probably becoming more efficient in your Zumba classes due to the muslce memory. Requires less effort for your body and as you lose weight your calorie burn goes down. This is a good sign.
  • NYLatinaCR
    Options
    Thanks so much for the encouragement....... It was really bothering me..... It's good that my health is getting better, but I definitely need to change it up more.... Need to shock my body!
  • HollyMac20
    HollyMac20 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Also remember to update your weight in your HRM as you lose!