Swimming Plan

Options
Has anyone come across this website before?

www.swimplan.com

It looks ok. There is an element of payment which I don't want to get involved in. (Premium membership). I was just wondering how realistic the plans are it comes up with.

I set myself as beginner swimmer and it reckoned for my first session I should swim 750 meters broken down over 45 minutes.

I reckon I am going to be lucky to swim 100 meters but it may be something to aspire to?

Just wondering what peoples thoughts were.

Going to try get into swimming for my cardio to help my back, core and asthma.

Replies

• TankGirl71
    TankGirl71 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I went from barely being able to swim 100 yards without taking a break, to swimming 1.2 miles in open water continuously. Just try to do a little more each time. I started swimming 4 laps then taking a break, 4 more ond so on until I completed 40. Then I did 6 at time, then 10 etc. Consider a masters swim club - they have awesome workouts. I did a ten week one for about $65. They also have Total Immersion clinics, but they are a little more expensive.
  • shawnscott5
    shawnscott5 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I go to my local pool and do aerobic classes. It has helped with my back and my knee. Just check with your local pool and see what classes they have to offer. I go 3 to 5 times a week, and burn roughly 550 to 700 calories in each session.
  • wolt98
    wolt98 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I went to the site and set up a swim plan for myself. The one it gave me was way too easy for my ability though I set my levels high enough I thought. You should have no problem with 750 meters over 45 minutes. Good luck to you! I love swimming its my favorite type of exercise!
  • newbeetler
    newbeetler Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Our local pools are terrible,

Council rung places that were built in the 80's.

I can't get into the PAYG gym round the corner from me as they are block booked for swimming lessons in the evening. Pretty useless.

Got a trial tonight at a local gym so going to use that to test my back out and see if it can handle a decent amount of swimming.

Get the added bonus of being able to incorporate weights and other cardio as well then.

Plus the jacuzzi and steam bath.

Was going to start by doing 2 lengths then a break then rinse and repeat.

I could only swim 1 25m length when I was a teenager so I am not expecting much to start with but would like to improve my swimming strength as I know I am a strong swimmer just not a distance swimmer.