Scale vs. inches????

Just curious if its better to measure inches lost verses pounds? I am pretty sure I have hit a platue and was wondering if maybe a good way to get through would be to stop with the scale and start measuring my inches? Just some friendly advice!! I am hoping it will be a good motivator because I have gotten really down about the amount of work I am putting into my body and the scale not going anywhere.

Replies

• I measure inches and try on a pair of cheap jeans that's a size too small. It makes it easier for me. I used to do pounds- it killed me. I fluctuated so much cause of my period + water weight. So I changed to inces.
  • I felt like that last week because I gained .2 lbs and I kept telling myself muscle weights more than fat. But I still have alot of fat to lose. Don't get discouraged. Keep up the good work.

10371238.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    I measure both. This week I haven't lost anything on the scale, but all of the sudden I lost an inch on my waist. Sweet!!!
  • chrissaucier
    chrissaucier Posts: 252 Member
    I don't know which is better, but for me I've lost more in inches than what the scale says. Unfortunately I didn't take measurements in the beginniing, but have found a new wardrobe that was in the back of the closet! Don't get discouraged, this journey is a slow steady one
  • jtintx
    jtintx Posts: 445 Member
    I think inches is much more important than what the scale says. But inches can be kind of a pain to track. I recommend getting one of those handheld body fat analyzers. They aren't completely, 100% accurate, but if you start out at 32% body fat and move down to 28% then you know you are making progress regardless if it is a percentage point or two off.
  • mndamon
    mndamon Posts: 549 Member
    Inches, muscle can throw a scale off. If you feel and look better than the scale doesn't mean a thing in my opinion.
  • MariFitBody
    MariFitBody Posts: 287 Member
    I do inches now. Being that Im gaining muscle the scale is going crazy on me but the tape is telling otherwise. So I gave up on the scale. Plus I have these tight jeans that I want my waist to look great in by next month so I also go by that. The smaller the muffin the happier I get :laugh:
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    I think that sometimes the scale stops but the body change continues. Sometimes it's just a little extra water weight when you change your exercise routine, sometimes it's just the way of things. Inches and are a great measurement tool.