Flat belly

Options
So, I reached my goal a couple of months ago and I've been doing really good with maintenance. In fact, I've been trying a few new things in the last few weeks.

Although I reached my goal weight which is right in the middle of my BMI, I still have that "spare tire" My question is, how do I get rid of that? How do people get a six pack?

I normally workout really hard. I run 20 to 35 miles a week. I also do strength training, which includes Chest, Back, Triceps, Biceps, Shoulders, Abs, and everything Legs.

I've done P90X, and I generally do that same style of workout at the gym. Which is about 45 minutes of weights, concentrating on specific muscle groups throughout the week. I love working out and nothing is too much of a challenge for me. But I just can't seem to lose the gut completely. It's not really bad, but it's clear that there is still flab.

Is it not always possible to lose all that belly fat? or am I just missing something?

Replies

• horndave
    horndave Posts: 565
    Options
    At this point to get the six pack is nothing but diet and continuing to exercise.
  • kellyyjean
    kellyyjean Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Not really sure how to help you on this one. I still have a lot to go but it doesn't seem like my belly goes down any either.
    I just wanted to say Congrats to you. What an achievement! You look great!:smile:
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    It's mostly a matter of body fat %. Under 10% or so, you should start to see some ab definition. If you're at goal weight but your bf% is still relatively high this is called being "skinny fat". You should set your calories to maintenance if not already and focus on heavy strength training. Make sure you hit your net target ("eat back exercise calories")
  • patssarah
    patssarah Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Eating clean(er)

All the hard work in the gym doesnt show if you have poor eating habits.

heres a great link:

http://www.burnthefat.com/get_six_pack_abs_that_POP.html
  • Larius
    Larius Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Seeing your abdominal muscles is 100% about low bodyfat percentage. You have more fat to lose. Everyone is different, but around 8-10% bodyfat you will see your abs. They may not look good, but you'll see what's there.

For abs I recommend bicycle crunches, and lots of them in a few sets. For improving body composition, I recommend 5x5s of heavy compound lifts (squats, deadlifts, bench presses, rows), like the Stronglifts 5x5 program.
  • MobileRanger
    Options
    I totally agree with what others have said, getting a six pack starts in the Kitchen with your diet. You are deffinatley going to have to get your body fat down. My abs started popping out when I got down to about 11% to 10% body fat. Since you have done P90X keep doing Ab Ripper X 3 times a week, and eat a really high protien lean diet. Then what abs you have, will show up.