routine

Options
I have been following the same routine for a while and I need to change it up because I am not getting the definition I really want.
My exercise routine has been
M, W, F - weights, legs (squats, calf raises, etc.) kettle bell, abs
T, Th - elliptical
Each is a 30 minute work out.
This morning, I did the elliptical for 25 minutes and an excercise video for 25 minutes. I would like to ask if you would comment on whether this is enough to lose the fat covering the muscle, as well as lose weight.
I want to lose 5 pounds and I am trying to stick to the 1200 calories but I am under sometimes. Is this going to hurt my weight loss? I have a protein drink after my workouts on M,W,F, but I don't have them on T, Th. In my mind, I am trying to contribute to my weight loss on those days and the muscle work on the days I use weights. Am I thinking this through right?
Also, when I did the exercise video this morning, there was ab work, legs, stuff that I do on M, W, F. I know that you are supposed to rest the muscle groups for one day in between. Is this going to hurt me?
Thank you so much for your help with. If you think I should change up my routine, feel free to say so. I will do whatever I have to do to get back in the groove of getting results.

Replies

• Silvercivic
    Silvercivic Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    my suggestion is to do more cardio and eat back your exercise calories. That is what I've been doing and it is (slowly) working for me very nicely! good luck :)
  • bgredenbaugh
    bgredenbaugh Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

My first question would be, how heavy are you lifting? In order to really make a change, you need to really stress out the muscle - so the first suggestion would be to really commit to lifting heavier. Not only will it help with your muscle strength, but those muscles will help you burn more calories on your cardio days.

You might also want to cycle your calories a little bit - 1200 one day, more on the days you lift and are trying to build muscle. The general consensus is that most people, unless they are obese, need a minimum of 1200 calories to maintain all of your bodily functions.

(and the answer to the "will I bulk up?" question is NO! - it's a moot point unless you're on anabolic steroids and/or going thru a sex change) :wink:

Good luck!
  • dirtbikegirl5
    dirtbikegirl5 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

My first question would be, how heavy are you lifting? In order to really make a change, you need to really stress out the muscle - so the first suggestion would be to really commit to lifting heavier. Not only will it help with your muscle strength, but those muscles will help you burn more calories on your cardio days.

You might also want to cycle your calories a little bit - 1200 one day, more on the days you lift and are trying to build muscle. The general consensus is that most people, unless they are obese, need a minimum of 1200 calories to maintain all of your bodily functions.

(and the answer to the "will I bulk up?" question is NO! - it's a moot point unless you're on anabolic steroids and/or going thru a sex change) :wink:

Good luck!

Hi,
    Thank you. This is all very helpful about the calories and burning calories with more weights.
    I am lifting 15 pound dumb bells. I am not worried, at all, about bulking up. It is, seriously, all I can lift right now and I have been working out for a long time. I should be a lot further along with my weights but I never pushed for it until I got on MFP and saw how much other women are lifting. After being called a wimp when I was using 8 pound dumb bells I stepped it up. I am still using the 8 pound kettle bell. I will move that up to 10, unless I can find a 15 pound kettle bell. I have only found the 10, then it goes right to 25. The good news is when I lift my 8 pound weights they are too light.