Does anyone else like HUNGRY GIRL?

Options
I do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Love her show but havent bought any of her books. Have you bought the books if so is it worth buying them?

Replies

• Celinya
    Options
    I have her 300 under 300 book and LOVE IT!!
  • Angellore
    Angellore Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I find she uses alot of ingredients we can't get here in the UK, which is a shame because I often see things i'd like to make. Although I do think she relies on alot of heavily processed ingredients.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    HATE IT! If the recipes were organized/sorted i.e. entrees, desserts etc then I would be inclined to look at it more but otherwise my recipes come from google or skinny taste and occasionally MFP.

Plus I agree with the comment above me, she uses a lot of items that aren’t available in Canada like Swiss Miss hot chocolate and a bunch of sugar-free jellos (the flavoured ones like cheesecake etc.) which is annoying. Only the US has super no-fat fad products like this due to the obesity problem. Remember the Pringles that had less fat but caused anal leakage? That must have been a fun warning to read while you are elbow deep in a tin of chips, LOL!
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    She uses way too much processed, fake and artifical garbage...but once in awhile I find something I can use.
  • adeluca3
    Options
    I really like her and her recipe changes/suggestions. I like her show on the Food Netwok
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    She uses way too many processed foods. I also don't agree with her fear of fats.
  • TheCats_Meow
    TheCats_Meow Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I'm not her biggest fan.

I prefer skinnytaste.com
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    I like the supermarket survival guide, but am not a fan of the recipes.
    I am, however, "Eat This, Not That"'s biggest fan :D
  • p0stdramatic
    Options
    She uses way too many processed foods. I also don't agree with her fear of fats.

^This
  • Pookiebear67
    Options
    Just started to watch her show....she keeps it simple & low cal.....good stuff:smile:
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    don't like her at all some of her stuff does not make since, makes waffles , okay, then uses sugar free syrup , okay makes sense.
    but then dumps powder suger on it. what????????
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    I like the supermarket survival guide, but am not a fan of the recipes.
    I am, however, "Eat This, Not That"'s biggest fan :D

ETNT is fantastic!
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I think she's good in that she provides cheap, easy and fast low cal meals that are accessible for people who may not have otherwise cooked for themselves or known where to start on a weight loss journey.

But, as others have said, she uses massive amounts of processed foods that gross me out. Half her dessert recipes include stuff like sugar-free pudding and fat free Cool Whip, which are both just plasticky and scary to me. And the sodium levels on most of her dishes are through the roof.

I use a few of her recipes as jumping off points for meals, usually replacing the fake food with better options. Like she recently had a recipe that she used four wedges of laughing cow cheese in. (about 140 cal and almost 900mg of sodium), I swapped in the same amount of ricotta cheese and saved about half the calories and over 700 mg of sodium out of the recipe.

She also makes questionable choices like just today choosing Sara Lee bread as her favorite bread when it contains High Fructose Corn Syrup. And while I'm not a crazed anti-HFCS person, it just makes me wonder why she would choose that option when there are others available without that ingredient.
  • Rachaelluvszipped
    Rachaelluvszipped Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    I sooo want that book!! :love:
  • ScarletFyre
    ScarletFyre Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I was only just introduced to Hungry Girl - i get the email newsletter - honestly did not know there were books and a show!!!! I will have to check those out!!
  • ScarletFyre
    ScarletFyre Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I think she's good in that she provides cheap, easy and fast low cal meals that are accessible for people who may not have otherwise cooked for themselves or known where to start on a weight loss journey.

But, as others have said, she uses massive amounts of processed foods that gross me out. Half her dessert recipes include stuff like sugar-free pudding and fat free Cool Whip, which are both just plasticky and scary to me. And the sodium levels on most of her dishes are through the roof.

I use a few of her recipes as jumping off points for meals, usually replacing the fake food with better options. Like she recently had a recipe that she used four wedges of laughing cow cheese in. (about 140 cal and almost 900mg of sodium), I swapped in the same amount of ricotta cheese and saved about half the calories and over 700 mg of sodium out of the recipe.

She also makes questionable choices like just today choosing Sara Lee bread as her favorite bread when it contains High Fructose Corn Syrup. And while I'm not a crazed anti-HFCS person, it just makes me wonder why she would choose that option when there are others available without that ingredient.

oh...bummer, maybe not - sounds like a nice idea, but the preservatives in processed foods are a MAJOR migraine trigger for me!
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options

^This

Yes, yes, yes!

I'm not saying this to be mean, but I don't think she looks healthy either. Perhaps the processed foods are making her look much older than she really is?
  • nickscutie
    nickscutie Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    no
  • bgrune131
    bgrune131 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I love Hungry Girl! I have one of the cookbooks at home, I just never use it :( I really should. They are great recipes.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Her recipes are very sorority house to me - easy, processed, relying on things I won't buy like cool whip and fat free pudding.

Skinnytaste, though, has some great recipes.