Good bye Coffee

Options
I love my coffee in the morning...not because it helps me wake up or jump start my day but I just love the flavor. I love the taste of coffee with my breakfast. However the coffee is reaking havoc on my HR when I exercise. Normally when I start my workout my HR is at about 70, today after my coffee my starting HR was 98...and then I couldn't keep it down in my zone. Listening to my HRM beep the entire workout is not enjoyable. So I either need to cut the coffee completely or drink it after my workout....but coffee with lunch just isn't the same....so I must say good bye....at least until the weekends :sad:

Replies

• Lyn_Matthews
    Lyn_Matthews Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I love my coffee in the morning...not because it helps me wake up or jump start my day but I just love the flavor. I love the taste of coffee with my breakfast. However the coffee is reaking havoc on my HR when I exercise. Normally when I start my workout my HR is at about 70, today after my coffee my starting HR was 98...and then I couldn't keep it down in my zone. Listening to my HRM beep the entire workout is not enjoyable. So I either need to cut the coffee completely or drink it after my workout....but coffee with lunch just isn't the same....so I must say good bye....at least until the weekends :sad:
  • TRLTAMPA
    TRLTAMPA Posts: 824
    Options
    i said goodbye to it about a week ago and i feel great!
    i did slip this morning....impulse mcdonalds caramel iced coffee run, but it didnt taste the same...
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    I have one cup of coffee (black) in the mornings. I enjoy drinking it...kinda part of my morning routine.

And I also saw where Fitness Chic posted a article that said it could help jump start your metabolism! :drinker: :happy:
  • meg0112
    meg0112 Posts: 344
    Options
    I've been considering more so because I definately have a dependance on coffee. I am in college and last semester my roommate and I developed the habit of coffee in the afternoons to fight that desire for naptime after classes were over. This slowly turned into me drinking coffee all day long. No seriously- A cup while I got ready (sometimes 2) and another cup & a half in my travel mug to morning classes which took me to lunch where I;d drink water, but in my break at 230 I'd have another cup AND fill up my travel mug for my 3pm class. Then work out, shower, and COFFEE before dinner and going out or if I was staying in to do homework it became 2 or sometimes 3 cups. WOW. I noticed over Christmas break that even though I wasn't doing much, I still needed the coffee to stay awake at 3pm. Craziness so I have cut way back, but am still drinking 2 or 3 cups a day. I have got to kick this habit!
  • ckroys
    ckroys Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Decaf? I don't get anything from coffee/caffeine in general, and decaf coffee worked great for me when I was pregnant and wasn't allowed the luxury of caffeine for the baby's sake. If you're only in it for the taste, it should work.
  • Lyn_Matthews
    Options
    Decaf? I don't get anything from coffee/caffeine in general, and decaf coffee worked great for me when I was pregnant and wasn't allowed the luxury of caffeine for the baby's sake. If you're only in it for the taste, it should work.

Decaf!!!! DUH!!! why didn't I think of that :laugh: It may save my morning!
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I've also heard that drinking coffee AFTER your workout can help your muscles recover... you don't feel the soreness the next day or something... so sometimes I mix my protein powder with a cup of coffee for my post-workout snack!
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    I gave up coffee on January 9. Now I drink hot water with fresh lemon squeezed in it and I feel great. Cut the caffeine slowly or you will get an awful headache.
    I was drinking two cups in the morning, went to one cup, then half a cup and I didn't suffer.

I don't miss coffee at all now
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    I don't want to give up my 4 cups in the a.m. either but know I need to. I am thinking about switching to tea and then weening myself off the caffeine from that. I get headaches even with the little coffee(comparatively speaking)I drink. They are "all over headaches" and aspirin won't touch them:( So it's either ween myself off or go cold turkey and suffer with the headaches for how long?? I don't know.

Good luck with your "venture". I know we both can succeed. I stopped wine altogether. Was staying under my cals and don''t do "drunk" but still. I just don't want anything to hinder me that is something I can control:)

denise in Sams Valley OR
  • gperry227
    Options
    My coffee is my quiet time. I enjoy the taste of it. I have cut back to maximum 2 cups a day. My weakness though is White Chocolate Mochas from Starbucks! So calorie laden tho. Those have been my biggest cravings. I think more for the sugar than the caffeine.
  • thejarviclan
    thejarviclan Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I quit the coffee, too. It's a little head-achey but you can do it! My problem was all the milk and white sugar :cringe: I was putting in it. I could have had dessert for all the added calories. !!!

I do miss it, especially when I smell it brewing in the morning at work...but I try to have some on the weekends.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    You can have my coffee when you pry it from my cold, jittery hands :tongue:
  • amycakes812
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    I am right there with you! Nothing is going to get me to give up my coffee! I can't do decaf...just not the same for me. I have cut back to 2 mugs a day, and I made the switch to Truvia instead of real sugar. I have an abundance of calories today so I may treat myself to a mug with the real stuff. In fact, I think right about now sounds good! :bigsmile:
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options

I thought the same thing! :noway: I drink my coffee black and love it! :laugh:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options

AMEN BROTHA!
    It's my one indulgent... a giant two-cup thermos brought from home. With my powdered creamer and liquid creamer mix, it's more 'latte' than 'coffee' but I lurve it!

But try decaf dear! Thank goodness you don't need it for morning kickstart!
  • Lyn_Matthews
    Options
    My coffee is my quiet time. I enjoy the taste of it. I have cut back to maximum 2 cups a day. My weakness though is White Chocolate Mochas from Starbucks! So calorie laden tho. Those have been my biggest cravings. I think more for the sugar than the caffeine.

Oh I love White Choco Mochas. These are my "treat" about once a month. They taste so good!!!!
  • Lyn_Matthews
    Options
    I quit the coffee, too. It's a little head-achey but you can do it! My problem was all the milk and white sugar :cringe: I was putting in it. I could have had dessert for all the added calories. !!!

I do miss it, especially when I smell it brewing in the morning at work...but I try to have some on the weekends.

Sugar free Coffeemate French Vanilla and Splenda...60 cals total in my coffee.
  • kendallalissa
    Options
    I do decaf coffee only. I'm not much of a coffee drinker, just when I'm cold. Caf doesn't have the wake up effect on me, so I just stick to decaf. However, I'm in love with McDonald's low fat sugar free vanilla lattes!!!!!!!!! The hubby had to put a stop to that, as I was spending more on lattes per week (3/wk) than he was on gas to get to work per week! EEK! :smile: Gotta love the hubby!
  • get_fit2009
    get_fit2009 Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Amen! Everyone needs a vice. :devil: Even though I have more than enough vices I am still not giving up my morning coffee.
  • Coach2010
    Coach2010 Posts: 209
    Options
    I joined the "gave up Coffee" crowd this year...but I didn't give up caffeine :wink:

I've started drinking Green Tea, and while the taste is different, it's kinda cool knowing all of the benefits.

My vice is more in the Baked Goods area...formerly with Coffee :laugh:

By the by, Green Tea seems to be be helping me in curbing my desire for food, for some reason :huh: