What keeps you motivated?

Options
2»

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Health keeps me motivated. I do this more for health than to look good. I want to live and live and live well, and that means not taking a handful of meds everday and having the energy to get out and really live life. Luckily, being healthy means have a healthy weight so i get to look good too.
  • iAMaPhoenix
    iAMaPhoenix Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    you know what motivates me more than anything else? and i think it's the weirdest most backward thing....

compliments.

if you compliment me, i will work my *kitten* off in the gym.

if you put me down, i will hide under the covers and get fatter.

i have no idea why, it's just how i work.

Just in case i have not told you today...YOU LOOK MAHVELOUS...
  • dkvote
    dkvote Posts: 58
    Options
    All the hard work it took to lose those pounds and inches and I refuse to let the scales go up instead of down again!
  • mrimike
    mrimike Posts: 139
    Options
    Fear and a competetive side. My wife has breast cancer (had) and I started to fear that if it took her that, in my current condition at the time, I would surely die from a heart attack at an early age. So the fear of leaving my children without either of their parents scared the hell out of me and has since motivated me to transform myself back to a healthy person. The perfect timing of a couple weight loss challenges helped motivate me to push hard to make this happen too:)
  • skinnywithin
    skinnywithin Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    peachy keenes photos !
  • rocketpants
    rocketpants Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I want to find a nice gentleman to rub beards with!!

What keeps me motivated is setting lofty long term goals. For example my current long term goals include a 100 mi ride next summer. Then I set small intermediate goals that will get me towards that goals. Like a weekly mileage on my bike...

It works for me!
  • Albertafun
    Albertafun Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for the ideas and comments Whay Motivates me is to be healthy and look great I just need to see results NOW. and I am not. But I will continue to work at it
  • starbucksbuzz
    starbucksbuzz Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I'm super competetive - and fitness is a way for me to compete with myself in a healthy way. Fitness is something I can succeed in, and the only thing in my way is me. Also, I want to have healthy habits in place for the life changes I know will be coming in the next 10 years. I know if I have healthy habits and routines it will be much easier for me to maintain health gracefully. I'm honestly really scared of getting pregnant and then not being able to lose the baby weight... which kinda happened to my mom. I have a pinterest board for inspiration - everything from how I'd love my body to look to healthy recipies I find that I want to try. Also I have a kick *kitten* running playlist. Two of them actually. Last thing - going to the gym after work is me-time. Time for me to focus on nothing but my goals, and pushing myself as hard as I can.
  • charismanoodles
    charismanoodles Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Seeing old photos of myself!!
    I know I never want to be that person again, also I loveee to feel like I'm 'dying' while working out, somehow motivates me cause I don't wanna feel it again hahaha.
  • katatak1
    katatak1 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I have a weight loss group that some coworkers and I founded (Weight Warriors!). All three of us are on here (just joined the other day, so my true weight loss is about 5 lbs, not 0), and we also have weekly meetings. We keep eachother motivated and hassle eachother (in a good way) if we start to fall off track. For instance, neither myself nor the other member who was going to go wanted to go to the gym. What helped was that neither one of us wanted to admit that, so we felt motivated to go becuase we didn't want to let eachother down.

We also have a financial incentive we just added. We each put in $20 and whoever loses the most weight by the new year wins the pot! It's only $60, but it's motivation enough :) I can already feel a greater focus.

Find some friends who are interested in achieving the same goal. Making yourself accountable is important!
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for the ideas and comments Whay Motivates me is to be healthy and look great I just need to see results NOW. and I am not. But I will continue to work at it

results take time. "slow and steady wins the race". you didn't gain the weight in a few weeks and it won't come off in a few weeks. however, if you stay consistent and persistent, you will achieve your goals.

Since Jan. 23 (9+ months), I've lost 62 pounds. It hasn't been a consistent drop and I have gained weight some weeks along the way. I have had bad days and bad 3-4 day stretches. but, I have done well and stayed focus the large majority of days. I have a large accountability circle that I don't want to let down (myself, my family, my friends, my co-workers, the Facebook community and the MFP community). Once I started having some level of success, others became intrigued/inspired/motivated/etc. I am happy if I can help others and I refuse to be someone else's excuse for "I can't". I have read a lot of things on fitness and nutrition. I have reflected upon my own journey and upon past efforts to try to avoid/limit stumbling blocks...to try to avoid the complacency creep. I work hard every day because the alternative is reverting to the overweight lifestyle I hated (see profile for some of the reasons why). I still have 15ish pounds to lose and, by george, I'm going to lose them and then reassess where I am. I enjoy being more healthy and fit. I enjoy being able to run around with my kids and not run out of breath. I enjoy being more active around the house. I am going to enjoy these things more as I continue to work hard. it does take hard work. it does take persistence and focus. but, its so much better than the alternative.

you can achieve great things if you care enough to do what is necessary to achieve them. this is why its important to dig deep within yourself and find powerful enough things that you hate about being overweight to put in the hard work. if you write down powerful enough reasons, you will do the work. if you don't spend the time to dig deep within yourself and pull out powerful enough reasons to change, then you'll continue to enjoy your current lifestyle.
  • sagetracey
    sagetracey Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Working towards goals. First goal is to get under 100kg and that is so close I can almost touch it. My reward is a lovely new gold watch that is taunting me from its display box. Next goal is to look awesome at my son's wedding in April. I am MC for the reception so I don't want to be the fat Mum up front. And the third goal is to ride in the Great Victorian Bike Ride in November 2012. By that stage I will be so comfortable in my new lifestyle with healthy eating and exercise habits that it will take as much work to become unhealthy and fat as it is taking to become healthy and slim!