yesterday's oprah show

was just wondering if anyone caught the show yesterday. she had bob greene on, and it's so encouraging to see some of the success stories she brought on. i feel like i'm on board for the challenge...lol.

Replies

• was just wondering if anyone caught the show yesterday. she had bob greene on, and it's so encouraging to see some of the success stories she brought on. i feel like i'm on board for the challenge...lol.
  • bla115
    bla115 Posts: 206
    I saw it and it was pretty inspirational!!!! I was especially touched by the man (I think his name is Chris) who started at over 700 pounds and had lost 150 lbs!!!!! The best part was that he was now the water aerobics instructor at his gym :bigsmile: I actually thought of him today as I headed off to work already dreading this afternoons workout. Like his friend said, "If he can do it ANYONE can do it". It makes my 28 lbs to lose look pretty small. I'm actually lucky to only have to lose that much! How about you? Are you planning on joining the official challenge???
  • I don't know about joining the challenge but am interested in the "Best Life" program they talked about. Does anyone know what they are referring to? Also was impressed by the stories mostly by the commitment they all made and how it starts in the head and heart not with any particular diet or eating program. And, when that one girl said she does "cheat" from time to time but makes sure it is only one meal and then back on track. Finally, I like the idea of Bob Greene saying that you can eventually add back liquor to the program. I like a glass of wine with dinner and before bed to take the edge off and I don't want to give that up. Very good program and funny to see Oprah waffling on signing the challenge contract.
  • aslavich
    aslavich Posts: 250 Member
    Ugh! I have it taped... I'll have to watch it today.

Angela
  • TO BLA....

chris's story touched me too. i got teary eyed watching him that pool and hearing how all the others looked up to him.

i guess you could say i'm joining the challenge. i didn't sign anything, but i got my journal out yesterday and decided to keep track. did my measurements and recorded them. i want to lose 30 pounds...so you are right. it's so little compared to some, and i feel like i have no excuse anymore.
  • Just in case you miss it here is the website

http://www2.oprah.com/index.jhtml
  • to rak....

i did attempt to do bob greene, and tho i failed, i think it's a great program. it just doesn't work for me, cause of the amount of exercise required. i realize we need to do it...but i am a person who does better attacking one issue at a time. i quit smoking on the first (15 days free today), and now i'm attacking food as far as the right habits go. exercise will be next, but when i pile too much on myself, i just get discouraged and get no where.

the food on his program is interesting and surprisingly tasty. it was fun cooking new recipes and some of them, i've kept in my regular diet as i loved them. and i never knew what a wasa cracker was before bob greene....but now i love them with peanut butter and they are good for you!!

there is a site for him....i beleive it's "bestlife.com"....not sure. close to that. check it out.
  • bla115
    In addition to the The Best Life website there is also a book by that Bob Greene wrote called The Best Life Diet. I have it but haven't started following it strictly yet. I think you have to pay to officially join the group on the website but you can do the same program with just the book. Good Luck! Let us know if you do it and how it works. :flowerforyou:
  • bla115
    to rak....

i did attempt to do bob greene, and tho i failed, i think it's a great program. it just doesn't work for me, cause of the amount of exercise required. i realize we need to do it...but i am a person who does better attacking one issue at a time. i quit smoking on the first (15 days free today), and now i'm attacking food as far as the right habits go. exercise will be next, but when i pile too much on myself, i just get discouraged and get no where.

the food on his program is interesting and surprisingly tasty. it was fun cooking new recipes and some of them, i've kept in my regular diet as i loved them. and i never knew what a wasa cracker was before bob greene....but now i love them with peanut butter and they are good for you!!

there is a site for him....i beleive it's "bestlife.com"....not sure. close to that. check it out.

Good for you for quitting smoking. That is a MAJOR accomplishment!!!! I agree that small steps are best. I have a tendency to think I'm going to do everything at once but like you get frustrated if I do that b/c it's just too much.
  • dulceluva
    dulceluva Posts: 728 Member
    I have his book (from a while back). I think you have to be in the right frame of mind to follow his books. He tries to change you inside out and that is probably a good thing.
  • the site does cost. i had joined it...only to find it wasn't for me..."yet". it's actually very much the way i'd like to be, so i'd like to get there eventually. but i'm not gonna pay for it, if i'm not ready just yet.

i have the book too. but...again, not ready to follow his ways yet. and he does want you to fix all the issues that cause you to be overweight to begin with. i will be the first to admit that i'm an emotional eater...and i only just learned this in the last year. but still....therapy isn't something i'm ready to do either, and like the other things....i've chosen to pick an issue at a time to deal with. that's what i spent last year doing, and it's why i'm hoping that i can get the food thing down better now, because i have acknowledged, recognized and dealt with some of the reasons i put food in my mouth when i'm not really hungry.

hope...hope...hope...lol.

you know....it didn't used to be so hard...lol. when i was younger...i could eat and never worry about it. it's all so hard now...lol.
  • Good conversation and I agree that Terri accomplished a magnificent feat by quitting smoking. I quit 25 years ago with the urging of my 7 year old with asthma and a bout with bronchitis. But, that only got me started as it took a monumental effort to completely stop. Of course, I tried a million times before this final one...so keep up the effort and realize it will get easier as time goes by...at least the urgings and the length of the desire to have one.
    On the best life program, why pay for something when this site is free. I have been home 3 months now...out of work...knee surgery...and find myself vegging in front of the tv at 3 for Oprah and 4 for Ellen. I never thought I would do that! But, you do learn some things and see some amazing stories like Chris'.