WELLBUTRIN and WEIGHT

Options
Hello,
I have been researching wellbutrin and people taking it for weightloss and emotional eating... anyone have any opinions, taken it, or use it currently??? let me know what u think :) thank you...

Replies

• RonneyKay
    RonneyKay Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I have taken it for a couple of years, I don't think it has affected my eating at all, that being said, I found it easier to eat healthier when I finally made up my mind to do it. Whether or not its the pills or my own mind, I cannot say. I haven't heard it Rx'd for that before though, interesting
  • SayLiLIG
    SayLiLIG Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I was taking 150mg before my lapband, and he uped me to 300mg a day. It's helped my emotional eating, but my I WANT it eating.. no.
  • LynnBirchfield
    LynnBirchfield Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I take it for depression -- 150 mg. I have heard it prescribed for weight loss, but I have never heard of anyone losing weight.
  • isabellaxhoja
    isabellaxhoja Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Well, let's see I have been prescribed this medication and decided against it. You know how it goes, diet and exercise. I for one haven't had any wls. But, I am going to pretend I have so that I can mentally and emotionally do it with that in mind. I hope! Let's pray:))))))
  • TXBlonde81
    TXBlonde81 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I'm on it and haven't noticed any weight loss attributable to the medication. I also haven't seen my impulsiveness decrease either - it mainly is used to keep me energetic when I have down periods. I don't think I'd get it and use it for a weight loss pill though.
  • cowlover22
    cowlover22 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Actually one of the new weight loss drugs they are looking at is wellbutrin and topamax mixed together. My dr has me on the wellbutrin and I buy my own topamax. I notice a big difference. Also a little ritalin helps too!
  • PBJunky
    PBJunky Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Following the media craze is setting yourself up for failure..
  • leslie411
    Options
    I have been on it for 3 weeks and it has helped me stop thinking about eating all the time.. I still have to be careful about what I eat, but I don't think about food 24/7 anymore.
  • yankeedownsouth
    yankeedownsouth Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I took it for anxiety when my husband was in Iraq, and I promptly lost 10-15 pounds without trying. Sometimes I kick myself for getting off of it once he got back, because those pounds came right back on once I stopped taking it. Those exact same pounds I'm trying to lose now...
  • KaraH425
    KaraH425 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I've been on it for depression for quite awhile now. My doctor specifically switched me to Wellbutrin because of the weight I gained on the previous 3 that he tried to put me on (Lexapro, something I can't remember and Prozac) - I was ravenous constantly, and promptly put on 10 pounds with each medicine. I wouldn't say Wellbutrin has helped me lose weight - but I'm not hungry 24/7 anymore and at least I stopped GAINING weight. I do hear that some people effectively use it as a weight loss aid though.
  • brunzella92
    brunzella92 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I've been on it for 5 years and take 400 mg/day and in the beginning i was NEVER hungry, lost a few lbs. As time went on, like anything else, it just became part of my daily routine. Didn't gain from it but didn't lose anymore from it. It will help you take the edge off. I have depression and started taking when my father started to decline. Down the road i added another medication but since have only been taking this. To me, it saved my life years back when i didn't even want to get out of bed. I did ALOT of research because part of my depression is weight gain, so i looked into many different ones and found this to be true to the side effect of loss of appetite. Good luck OP, hope it works just as well for you as it does me :)
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    Wellbutrinn (Bupropion) is occasionally prescribed for weight lose with or without Vivitrol (naltrexone), but if I remember correctly, it did NOT get the green light from the FDA despite indications that it would (someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong).

Does that mean it won't work? Not necessarily. It probably depends on the person, the cause for over-eating, etc.., Ninerbuff (I think that's who it was) recently posted an article about over-eating and the brain. I'll find it and bump it up. But my guess is, if you're the type of eater who's reward/emotion centers are strongly tied to food, you'd benefit from wellbutrin/naltrexone... maybe.

But it's all a "maybe".

And wellbutrin is expensive.

So the real question, in my opinion, is not whether it can help with weight loss, but whether you should pay a hundred bucks a month for something that *might* help when you can probably lose weight on your own without that crutch if you just count your calories, stick to a deficit, and exercise.
  • krystonite
    krystonite Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I've been on it for 4 months, but not for those reasons.
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    The post I was talking about is here: https://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/394059-unlocking-the-secrets-of-overeating-with-neuroscience

And to clarify- I have no problem taking welbutrin for depression. I have in the past. It worked well, but made me anxious. I did lose about 5 to 10 lbs on it, not because I was trying, just as a side-effect. I gained that weight back when I stopped taking it.

I don't really have a problem with taking it for weight loss either... I just think people should consider all the angles. It's not a sure bet and it's expensive.
  • brunzella92
    brunzella92 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Bupropion is the cost of a co-pay with my insurance so not expensive at all, no need for the brand if generic is available IMO. I work for a pharmacy ins dept :)
  • WhiteRaven
    WhiteRaven Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't recommend going to any kind of pill, or medication for weight loss. 9 times out of 10 it is likely that once you stop, there will be weight gain. It can/will vary from person to person.

I had a friend on Wellbutrin, and another drug, can't recall... and they had a nasty interaction. He is now left with a Disorder called Tardive distonia as a result of the medication. He cannot work, and struggles to just have a normal day. :(

just my 2 cents

WR