Feedback from "barefoot" shoe runners

Options
I've only been running for about six months and I'm up to a point where I can run 3-4 miles without stopping at about a 5.0 mph pace. About three months ago, I decided that before I learned to run differently, I would try barefoot running, so I bought the Vibram FiveFingers Bikila. I love how "free" I feel in them and I have so many less socks to wash now!

I broke them in VERY slowly as recommended, and even then, the first couple weeks were painful. My shins and calves and feet had to adjust. The adjustment was more related to the lack of customary support, I think, than to a change in my stride. (They say barefoot shoes encourage a mid-foot or forefoot strike rather than a heel-to-toe motion). Anyway, I'd been running a mix of outdoors (mostly pavement) and treadmill until about a month ago when my treadmill broke. I've been running more frequently lately and only outdoors, and now my shins are giving me problems.

This is just some background and hopefully it's helpful for people who are considering barefoot running, but for those people who already run barefoot I have a couple questions.

1) at my jogging pace of 5.0 mph I still find myself in a somewhat heel-to-toe strike, but if I increase to a faster pace I notice it tends to change to a more forefoot action (it's not intentional, it just changes naturally). Do I go too slowly now to get the form-related benefit of the shoes or am I doing something wrong?

2) My shins and feet ache now that I'm running exclusively outdoors on pavement. It's not terrible and I can still run, but it hurts a little. I don't get cramps and my calves are fine. Is this something I just need to adjust to or am I doing some kind of damage by pushing on?

Thanks and sorry for the long narrative!

Replies

• ShellyShuey
    Options
    Same exact results here :)
  • Kriszilla
    Options
    The Bikila is a great shoe, but you're not going to get the feedback that you would from true barefoot. It's pretty much impossible to heel-strike while barefoot. Once you do it a few times, your brain will take over and change your landing for you. This is how to learn proper form before transitioning to a minimalist shoe.

At the very least, try a pair of KSO's (not the Treks, plain KSO's) that have a VERY thin sole and will give you a lot more feedback if you try to heel-strike.

There's a great video on YouTube you might want to check out: Barefoot Running Basics - Josh Sutcliffe
  • WDEvy
    WDEvy Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I have some Trek Sports and it took about 3 weeks to break them They eliminated all my back and knee pains. I mostly hike in them more than running but the little running I do causes no pain at all. I tried my regular running shoes the other day and after 20 min of WALK, I had to get back home because of severe pain in my ankles and chins.
  • papagator1
    papagator1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    These are very honest concerns, and you should always keep an awareness of any pain you are enduring, especially chronic pain. I'm 58 years old and have been a runner all my life. The methods their teaching about barefoot running I learned more than 30 years ago. I do NOT recommend the shoes. There is a lot more to foot mechanics than you can imagine. Proper support for the arch, heel, ball, and toes has been studied thoroughly by all the major manufacturers. Once you've trained your body to the proper upright posture and have a pair of GOOD(as much as $100) running shoes, fitted properly ( taking in consideration pronation, supination, falling arches, etc.) you will run comfortably for miles and miles and miles......
  • iluvtrees123
    Options
    If you were doing a majority of your runs on a treadmill, you might want to shorten your outdoor runs a little to adjust. The mechanics of running on a treadmill and actually pushing yourself forward are different, You also don't have the give/cushion on pavement that you do on a treadmill. You could try to find a trail or rubberized track to lessen the shock.