Accurate Calories for Frying...

Options
So...I don't fry often, but my husband loves to and when he does I have a hard time accurately calculating my cals. I usually just pick a generic "fried whatever" from the list, but I'm wondering if I can be more accurate. My main concern is that all of the oil used to fry is not absorbed into whatever is being fried, so how do I estimate how much oil i'm actually taking in??

I feel silly askin this, but I hope someone can help...

Replies

• NoExcuseTina
    NoExcuseTina Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    bump
  • bigislandgrrl
    bigislandgrrl Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Only way I can think of is to measure the oil before you fry, then when you remove the stuff you fried, measure the oil after and divide the result by how many servings! Good luck!
  • kendernau
    kendernau Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Only problem with measuring (oil at start - oil at end) / number of servings is it doesn't take into account any fat that melts off the meat as you fry it. This fat will increase the volume of liquid left, making it look like less oil was absorbed.

It's probably fairly close for chicken or fish, since they tend to be leaner, but I'd probably double the amount of oil absorbed for other types of meat.
  • MJHdG
    MJHdG Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Try Calorie King web page or http://nutritiondata.self.com/ When in doubt you can cross reference to get a better idea of how close they are to MFP
  • 1a1a
    1a1a Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    if I'm frying with say, a spoonful of olive oil, I just count it, all 100 lovely calories of it. Budgeted in for the day of course.
  • kristelpoole
    kristelpoole Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Bless your heart. I don't know the answer either.