Frustrated, emotional, and just need to vent.

Options
I've been pretty diligent with my counting and exercise. I'm on Day 7, Level 1 of Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred (30DS) workout. I've never been able to stick with anything consecutive for this long...ever. So I stepped on the scale this morning hoping to see a loss (even if just a little bit) but I saw a gain of 1.8lbs. :explode: I hear people saying "it's because of a gain in muscle" but seriously?! Is that really true? I can NOT seem to get out of the 230s. My goals are set at a reasonable 1.5lbs a week loss and I'm exercising more than I set in my goals - obviously I expected to at least see some sort of loss. :cry:

I know that I can do this and that it's worth it and that I deserve it...but I'm so beyond frustrated right now. I feel like I'm working really hard at exercising and eating well, maybe it's the sodium? I had some soup two nights ago that put me DOUBLE what my sodium levels should have been for the day. Maybe it's the sugar? My sugar levels have been up because I eat grapefruit , yogurt, and apples daily. I'm just not sure why the weight is coming off sooooooo damn slowly this time around. I question wether I'm making excuses for myself and lying to myself about EVERY little thing that goes into my body. I'm trying but I feel like I'm falling short and failing.

Part of my stress is due to my insane school schedule. I'm a graduate student acting as a faculty member while our professor is gone on sabbatical. It's extremely stressful in addition to a full class load, performances, and preparing a recital so I can graduate in May. A lot of it is fear of the unknown as I have NO idea what to do with myself when I graduate. One of the biggest I don't have a plan for the future is because i'm over weight. My voice doesn't fit my body type and as much as I hate to admit it, the opera world has gone very much into the looks department. You have to be fit and pretty on stage. Especially for the roles that would fit my voice type and I just don't look like a 16 y/o when I have an extra 80+ lbs of weight. I want more than anything to make this career happen but my weight keeps holding me back. I let the last two years slip away and gained back almost 20lbs of what I worked so hard to lose the two years prior to that. There's no quick and easy fix to losing weight, I know that. I won't do anything drastic and stupid, but I want to see some changes and success. I'm tired of seeing the same 5lbs on the scale yo-yoing about.

I want to reach my goals and I won't quit again, but I'm so frustrated and emotional right now.

Does anyone have some advice of SAFE, HEALTHY ways to jumpstart my weight loss again? Things that don't require me to spend an hour at the gym? I literally don't have the time to work out for 2 hours a day like I did two years ago. I'm lucky to get in my 30 minutes of the shred everyday. I'm at a loss right now.

I'll cut the sodium, cut back on the sugars. What else can I do? I'm eating within my range on every other aspect and working out.

Replies

• Ashbee1224
    Options
    I have heard that 30DS is not great for losing weight, that it builds more muscle & that weighs more than fat. So I have a feeling you're going to see a big difference in the way your clothes fit and the scale will come later. On the brightside your body is healthier! You're movin' & shakin' :) The more muscle you build the more calories you will burn, keep it up!
  • mom2boy33
    Options
    I was the same way and it feels like you will never get there. The first month will be disappointing. People have told me it is because my body is spending time getting in line with what you are doing. The first month I worked out I lost 1 lb but I lost 2 inches from my waist. The scale didn't go down buy my jeans were looser. Sometimes that is a better gage than the pounds lost for awhile. Plus it will give you inspiration to keep going. Don't get discouraged it will happen, it is just not immediate. Good luck and hang in there. If you need to vent let me know. I have been there and am there.
  • steffiejoe
    steffiejoe Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I heard the same thing about not losing while doing 30ds. Most of the people who post here dont lose alot (scale wise)while doing it. Most of them have posted they did lose inches but the scale either stayed the same or went up.

Thats one of the reasons I'm waiting to restart it. I plan to do it when I reach my final goal.
  • pianokeyteeth
    Options
    This sounds almost exactly like what happened to me. I was stuck at 185 FOREVER, despite exercise and what I thought was a healthy diet. What I did was cut back on sugar A LOT. As soon as I started eating less than 35g of carbohydrates every day, my weight started to melt off. It takes effort and involves a lot of self-denial (sweets, many fruits, etc). But It IS worth it.
  • whisperingdragon
    Options
    THIS..
    the fact is, (and Jillian Michaels herself has said this), is weight loss is 80% diet. You can exercise until the cows come home..it all boils down to calories in/out. You should exercise to be healthy. Yes, it burns calories and that's great..but if you're eating your exercise calories..and THEN some..you'll be more fit yes..but you'll gain weight. Keep up with the exercise regime, and double check your portions and calories on your diet.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Sodium might be to blame. Also when you start lifting weights (even just lightly) your muscles retain water. You wouldn't gain a pound of muscle in a short time. It took a year for me to put on 3 pounds of muscle with a calorie deficit. Stick to eating an appropriate calorie level (especially for working out), take time to relax (stress will ensure you don't lose), drink lots of water, make sure you have cardio and weight training.
  • annacataldo
    annacataldo Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    when you excercise (especially when its an intenser workout), you go up pounds in water weight because your muscles pull in more water to heal the broken cells (you break cells when you workout). the only way to rid yourself of the water weight is to rest for a couple days; so just stick with it for the 30days, the take a couple rest days, and see a bigger number of pounds loss at once, instead of watching weight constantly fluctuate up and down while you do the intense workout.

make sure you get plenty of water in the mean time (half your body weight in ounces a day).

im currently up 4lbs from intenser workouts the past few days, but im not going to let it stop me because i know its just water weight!!
  • RoanneRed
    RoanneRed Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Have you only been making the overall effort for the 7 days since you started 30DS or were you already on to the food side of it before that? It wouldn't suprise me at all if the scales didn't drop in your first week of doing something new but keep body composition in mind as well as just the scales - presumably you want to lose 'fat', not just 'weight'.

You've done it before so know it's hard work, just keep at it and remember to watch for other signs of the exercise benefits - are you feeling better in yourself for having done it?
  • ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    It would be impossible you to have gain that much muscle ( It would take months), it is also very unlikely that you ate almost 7000 extra calories to give you a 1.8 pound gain. With those things eliminated if is water retention, it could be from salt, it could as be your muscles. The important thing is you did not gain fat! Keep at it, try to get 8 hours of sleep and 8 glasses of water. Cutting out dairy and processed carbs has been great for me. I feel your pain with, I work almost full time and am a full time student and try to get to the gym for an hour or 2 a day, it is hard! Giving up is not an option though, you have to keep at it and you are doing great.
  • Fatbuster205
    Fatbuster205 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Oh honey! I don't even clock the things beyond the fat! I have a rule - nothing goes into me if the 100g column has more than 5% fat. I think as a result every thing else kind of corresponds. I am not following any other rule except obviously counting the calories using MFP. My weight loss has been steady and I am so much fitter. When I started I didn't have time to exercise (stress, work, etc) so I started with 10 minutes walk, then 15 minutes etc. Now I make the time (even if it is 11.00pm)! I find I have more energy, my mood is so much better, everyone at work is more positive towards me and I am so much happier. Forget the "I must do 2 hours in the gym!" attitude. I don't know anything about the 30DS thing. Keep it simple, take it slow and it will work. Maybe 30DS is not right for you at this time? As to your singing - I take it you are a music graduate? - I would always listen with my eyes closed if someone is singing or playing superbly. It is instinctive! I know that performing is hard and obviously you are not happy about the way you look. But I bet you knock the socks off everyone else. So add me as a friend and when you first perform at the Royal Opera House in Belfast I want free tickets and believe me I won't be interested in your weight - just your superb talent!
  • mkpeck1
    Options
    Yes... I have been at a plateau for about 2-3 weeks now. In a way, I am accepting it but I also hate it.
    I am hopeful that if I gradually lose weight I might actually keep it off this time! I hope my body thinks that way, too.

It might be the sodium in your case. I like a diet green tea, and I am wondering if the sodium level in that is keeping me from losing more. Canned soup can be notorious for the sodium levels.

Stress has a lot to do with it, too. You have a lot on your plate right now. Try to push water. That might start to move the scale.
    I am not a great water person so I have been putting crystal light in my water to make it more palatable.

The good news is that you are living healthier. Even thinking about weight loss is a plus. Last year, at this time, I did not care about it and ate whatever I wanted. It was "fun" but I was not a healthy person then.

I have an interest in music, too!! I hear what you are saying about roles in opera. You can do this. Make this your time to get healthier. It will be a process and will take some time but give yourself the time you need. Maybe think in terms of months instead of weeks. Perhaps "by the spring" you will be close to a certain weight. I like that MFP lists 30 days --- 60 days etc. of progress. Sometimes that makes me happier than the weekly report.

Good luck. Hang in there. If you would like a friend, let me know:smile:
  • goodmonster
    Options
    Not to offend, but the old saying that "muscle weighs more than fat" is just an old wives tale. It's like that old riddle of "what's heavier, a pound of lead or a pound of feathers?" A pound is a pound.
    It IS true that muscle is dense and therefore may seem like it weighs more but that is just a volume vs. weight ratio... I digress.

Well gosh look at your life, no wonder your body is holding onto things like crazy- I will say BRAVO for still wanting to stick it out; I was in a similar boat a few years and and...wellll...I'm working my actions to escape from stress off now. ^_^

I agree with usmc, the sodium may be to blame. For some reason sodium is freakin delicious when someone is stressed out. I would keep drinking water and double check your calorie intake; it may be time to even up it up a little.
    Not only that, DON'T GIVE UP!

Feel free also to friend me if you need more support/a place to vent, I'm a great ear. Er...eyes...since I'll be reading...dang.
  • AngieJo
    AngieJo Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to tell you to hang in there!!!! I joined the gym a while back and worked out for over an hour a day, 6 days a week. In my first week and a half I gained 4 pounds!!!!! I was eating my daily calories and felt wonderful but was so disappointed. All of a sudden, my body kicked off the weight. I lose inches easier than I lose weight anyway. I'm now doing Zumba and I tend to lose more inches than weight doing that exercise too. Whether it's inches, weight or more energy..IT'S ALL GOOD!!!! The important thing to remember is you are getting healthy and doing a wonderful service to your body, mind and soul. Your body will reward you in time!!! All of a sudden you will realize that your body is finally catching on to your new lifestyle and you will see wonderful results. I know it is sooooo frustrating as I have hit the Halloween candy road block. Today though, I was very focused and determined not to throw away everything I have accomplished so far. It sounds like you have made great progress and don't want to throw away your accomplishments either. You have tons of support from tons of people going through the exact same situations. Be strong, take a deep breath and take it one day at a time or even one hour at a time.
  • Opera_Bound
    Opera_Bound Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your words of support, motivation, and explanation. I won't give up, that's for sure. I think everyone is right that it's time to make a change in some way or another. I shall stick to the 30DS but I will monitor my caloric, sodium, sugar, and water intake more closely.

Someone asked if I had just started to diet and my answer is no. I've been doing the food thing for about 2 months, however, I wasn't sticking to it on the weekends and I was only getting about 3 days of cardio/strength training in a week. These past two weeks marked when I really started making the choice to stay true to my calories EVERYDAY, not just M-F. So I know my body is trying to change and to adjust to what I'm throwing at it. I do feel stronger in a sense and I'm proud of myself for sticking with the shred. I truly hope to make it to 30 consecutive days. I feel like if I take one day off, I have to start over.

Anyway, I just wanted to say thank you all! You guys are the reason that MFP has been so helpful to me in this (VERY LONG) journey. I'm no where close to goal but at least I'm not at my heaviest again. :flowerforyou:

Plus, sometimes we just need to vent and hear what we already know stated in a different way. Thanks again!
  • goodmonster
    Options
    Youuu can dooo eeeettt!! =)
  • Opera_Bound
    Opera_Bound Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Just finished Day 7, Level 1 of the 30 Day Shred. My right quad is killing me today...not sure what I did to it yesterday but ouch. Oh well. I pushed through and I'm really looking forward to FINALLY (after 2 years of owning the DVD) moving on to Level 2.

Thanks again everyone!