8 cups of water daly? Are they kidding?

Options
12346»

Replies

• Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    it's a guideline. Your body needs fluids. Lots of fluids .You get those in foods and in any other liquids you drink.

You do NOT need to chug down an additional magical number of 8 glasses a day over and above all the fluids you are drinking.

Water DOES NOT "flush out toxins " or any other nonsense.

What it CAN do is keep you feeling a bit more full .

And all those trips to the loo burn calories !

It is funny that my mom's nephrologist (kidney dr) would beg to differ with you in regards to the whole flushing out toxins.
    Drinking lots of water (not other fluids) helps to clean the blood faster and easier when it filters through the kidneys to be elminated as waste.

Most people that drink lots of water have little to worry about in regards to kidney stones because the more water (not other fluids) that filters through the less chance it has to calicify into stones.

Also, water with lemon slices is great for removing toxins from the liver.

It is not nonsense.

Drinking water helps give you energy, helps to reverse some diseases and helps to clear your skin.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    It flushes fat, toxins out of your body, and helps all your organs function properly.
    That's called a liver, not water.
    Do they sell liver at Trader Joe's?
    Sure...if you're a ***** cat.
    tj_beefliver.png

LOL It's actually your kidneys, but nice try anyways !! :wink:
    Bless your heart. I'm sure you meant well.
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    it's a guideline. Your body needs fluids. Lots of fluids .You get those in foods and in any other liquids you drink.

You do NOT need to chug down an additional magical number of 8 glasses a day over and above all the fluids you are drinking.

Water DOES NOT "flush out toxins " or any other nonsense.

What it CAN do is keep you feeling a bit more full .

And all those trips to the loo burn calories !

It is funny that my mom's nephrologist (kidney dr) would beg to differ with you in regards to the whole flushing out toxins.
    Drinking lots of water (not other fluids) helps to clean the blood faster and easier when it filters through the kidneys to be elminated as waste.

Most people that drink lots of water have little to worry about in regards to kidney stones because the more water (not other fluids) that filters through the less chance it has to calicify into stones.

It is not nonsense.

Drinking water helps give you energy, helps to reverse some diseases and helps to clear your skin.

I appreciate you taking the time to respond to my posting — much more civil than asking for me to be banned. ;-)

The primary function of the kidney is to remove waste products from the bloodstream. My reason for using quotes for "flush out toxins" is that phrase is used to justify drinking lots of water. And our bodies do not need scads of water to do that.

So, I'm in agreement 100% with your Mom's nephrologist.
    Again, terminology is the key. From the article that I've quoted, there is no medical need to drink "a lot" of water (what is "a lot", right?) for the kidneys to perform their functions. They've been doing it for millions of years before we, as a society, got on a bottled water kick.
    Can you cite a medical source for that? Dr Valatin doesn't report that in his findings.
    Can you cite a medical source for that? Dr Valatin doesn't report that in his findings.
    My GF, Debbie, runs a Lindora medical weight loss clinic. Lindora recommends lemon in their water and, at the moment, I forget their justification. My suspicion is that they recommend it because most people, myself included, like lemon in their water so, by adding lemon, they will drink more water and by drinking more water, they will feel full, and will eat less, and will lose weight. (Phew, that was a long sentence!).
    I have no reason to tell people not to use lemon in their water but I have never seen, nor can I think of a biological process, any medical source that explains how lemon helps the remove toxins from the liver.
    Water is vital to the body and, without it, we would die but water, in and of itself, is not a source of energy.

Insofar as actually producing energy, water is a by product of ketogenesis and I think it's a by product when glucose is metabolized but I don't think that water itself is actually used when either of those processes occur.

What disease does water "reverse"? Thirst not being a disease, of course.

Insofar as "clearing your skin" - again, I'd love to see clinical backing for that. And also the studies that continue after the subjects have stopped ingesting large amounts of water.

I don't doubt that someone's skin will change when they consume more water than their body can use. The issue, that I would have about this is that the body is a homeostat so it will work like fury to get rid of water than it doesn't need. Some ingested water will end up in cells causing us to be turgid and that will help cause wrinkles "go away". That's all well and good but you have to keep slugging water to maintain your over-watered state - remember, your body will be working hard to get rid of the water that it doesn't need. Yes, our ego wants the wrinkles to be gone but our body wants us to quit drinking water!

My concern is not that people are drinking "too much" water. The issue, for me, is that so many folks accept things like "drink 8 cups of water per day" apparently without applying "critical thinking". Sure, lots of people believe it but the fact that lots of people believe something counts for absolutely nothing when it comes to determining if something is true.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Water means water people! Soda has sodium in it as well as horrible chemicals. Caffinated beverages are a diuretic and the idea behind water is to hydrate yourself not dehydate. Many people here dring 1/2 to a full gallon a day. I ususally hit 9-10.

Lots of things have sodium in them. Sodium is not necessarily a bad thing.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    My minimum is 100 oz (12 1/2 cups). If I drink less, I find I'm more hungry and start having signs of dehydration (which is absolutely NO fun).
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    My minimum is 100 oz (12 1/2 cups). If I drink less, I find I'm more hungry and start having signs of dehydration (which is absolutely NO fun).

Well, what else are you drinking/eating? If you only drink pure water, and don't eat a lot of fruit and veg, then ofc you will feel dehydrated.

Have a day with no pure water, but lots of milk/tea/coffee/soda/juice etc, and see if you see feel dehydrated.
  • sdwelk11
    sdwelk11 Posts: 825
    Options
    I drink a minimum of 96 ounces of water a day. I used to hate the stuff but its all I drink now. I still can't drink it any other way than cold but I love my water. It makes me feel so good and it keeps my system flushed so the food feels like it flows right thru me (not literally) but I feel like it doesnt just sit in my stomach. Sometimes I will suck on a jolly rancher when drinking my water and it adds the sweet fruity taste to my drink but thats about it.
  • Luckydrd
    Luckydrd Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I drink a gallon of water a day
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Way too much water for me. Makes me never want to look at water agan. Is it supposed to suppress hunger? To me it just makes me feel sick. What do you think?
    Part of the reason people are overweight is lack of essentials. Your body NEEDS water to work efficiently. If you feel sick, it's because you've been accustomed to drinking liquids that are flavored or loaded with sugar. To change you weight, you have to change your habits. Buck up.
  • em1976
    em1976 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I found a site telling me how to calculate the amount of water I should drink a day.I get alot of headaches and I think most of the time Im severely dehydrated even though Im not thirsty.The numbers I found were your weight divided by 0.024.For me thats around 2.4 lt a day.I tried that yesterday for the first time,drank 3lt of water,spent alot of time on the loo initially but for the first time since I can remember I didn't have a headache and I felt quite good.For me,going to the dunny is well worth that feeling of no headache so I will be attempting to drink that much(2.4lt)each day if I can.I think my job was dehydrating me badly and I drink coffee so I made the assumption that my cuppas would suffice,which I think took away my thirst,so instead of listening to when Im thirsty,instead ill down what I need for next week or so and see how it goes.

Also said something along the lines of around 500 mls can be taken from veggies like lettuce,cucumber etc so the 2lts is the remaining water needed to top up.(assuming you eat foods that count toward that).
  • Kushgetti
    Kushgetti Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    i usually drink 8 to 12 glasses a day...trust me it is hard as i was a dr. pepper fien and that is all i drank and `1 day i went cold turkey....its very good 4 u....ur body needs it
  • Kushgetti
    Kushgetti Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    yesssss....if u want change....u have to change..take it a day at a time
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I used to be one of those people that would agree that "when I drink water, I only get more thirsty."

Then I decided to drink the recommended daily amount and came to this awesome discovery:

I was so dang thirsty because I was dehydrated, didn't realize it, and when I was getting in that water, my body was like "Give me MORE I need it!!!" When I filled up, thirst went away. Staying hydrated keeps you like that.

Also, I have more energy, less hunger, and I can totally tell when something like a soda or Crystal Light is dehydrating me because that thirst switch pops on really easily now.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Soda or Crystal Light isn't dehydrating you.

If it is, I'd see a doctor, as something isn't right in your body.
  • KelleFlr
    KelleFlr Posts: 142
    Options
    For me I have a 52oz mug that I fill with lemon water. I take one lemon and one lime and squeeze it into a gallon jug of alkaline water into the frig. I try to drink at least 2 mugs a day. Personally if I drink 8 glasses or less I feel sluggish. I feel better the more I drink.
    Lemons are acidic but alkalize in the body. There is much info on the net about this and how it affects the skin and liver.

Personally my skin has never looked better... its not a lack of wrinkles because I am too full of water. That didn' t make sense to me since if you soak in the tub your skin wrinkles... I was told it was too much water. Either way... my skin is clearer, no acne, and people have noticed my skin looks more clear and fresh.

I read someone's post that they noticed more weight loss when they increased there water intake.

I have better luck with alkaline water than regular tap water. You can read about that online... but basically I have a machine that runs my tap thru a filter and over titanium plates that gives it a positive charge, makes it alkaline ph. Our blood is alkaline so it is healthier for you to keep it that way.., .if we eat sugars and processed foods it can make our bodies acidic. There are lists of foods that are acidic and alkaline on line too.

You can speak with health professionals and they will advise the same about alkalinity.

Anyway, someone mentioned they hadn't seen any studies..... if it works for me that works. I don't need a study to tell me my skin is smoother, clearer, healthier... that people guess my age 10 years younger or more than I am (yay)

Here are a couple sites I found and a quote that is pretty similar to what info I found on line and what info I already understood about water,, especially lemon water and how it benefits the body.

"It has another beneficial use to the liver.
    It’s high in vitamin C, a powerful antioxidant.
    When the liver removes certain contaminants from the blood stream
    it converts them to free radicals. Antioxidants neutralize the effects of the free radicals."

http://naturalhealthremedies.org/does-lemon-juice-detox-the-liver/
    http://www.lookgreat-loseweight-savemoney.com/lemon-water.html
  • spyork
    spyork Posts: 187
    Options
    Way too much water for me. Makes me never want to look at water agan. Is it supposed to suppress hunger? To me it just makes me feel sick. What do you think?

Dont count just a glass of water, fluid intake as a whole is what your after so count fruit juice, tea, coffe, milk etc and before any one moans about coffee it has been proven to increase fat burning before a work out and it is also proven not to be a (diuretic0 spelt wrong but i tired and i dont care.
  • amybell68
    amybell68 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Ice cold water: Drink eight to ten glasses of ice cold water a day to burn 250 to 500 calories! Your body goes into overdrive trying to heat the water back up to your normal body temperature.
  • Raf702
    Raf702 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I never count the amount of water I drink. I just drink water when I feel thirsty.
  • itontae
    itontae Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I never count the amount of water I drink. I just drink water when I feel thirsty.

at last someone speaks sense.
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Yes!

The thirst mechanism is "part two" of my "water is for scuba divers" attitude (Yes, I have my open water SCUBA cert and I still don't care to drink water…)

The human body doesn't always do things right — we have an appendix that doesn't do anything that we're aware of and we have Lindsay Lohan so there are two great examples that our bodies don't always work the way that they should. Overall, however, we've spent quite a long time evolving and our body does some very good things.

One of those things it does is tell us when our body needs water; the thirst mechanism.

As a runner in a warm climate (I live in Southern California) I have to be careful about water. It gets warm here (only in the high 80s) but it's dry and I wear wicking clothing so I don't get the visual feedback of a sweat soaked shirt or shorts - sweat evaporates very quickly.

Being a new runner, I've subscribed to a running magazine read a few books on running. One of the items that caught my eye was how the medical opinion about water intake for runners (marathoners in this case since I am one) has changed recently.

The international medical directors association for marathons changed their recommendations about drinking in the past few years. They used to recommend "prehydrating" and drink X ounces per hour. They have changed their recommendation that you drink water when you're thirsty! Their reasoning - IIRC, the phrase "overwhelming medical evidence" was used.

When the association of medical directors for marathoners thinks that relying on thirst is the best way to determine that you need water, that, to me, is a very, very strong endorsement.

Just my tuppence.