buttermilk help?

Bought some buttermilk out of curiosity as id never seen it before and was wondering if anyone knew how I could use it, like in baking or something? would it replace milk or butter in the recipe?
any help greatly appreciated!!

Replies

• Tonnina
    Tonnina Posts: 979 Member
    You can make buttermilk pancakes! You could use it as a replacement for milk in recipes... Fun fact, buttermilk usually is skimmed so it's actually really low in fat! ;-)
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    I find it hysterical that you would randomly buy buttermilk *LOL* But there are several recipes you can make by punching it into google :smile:
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 Member
    buttermilk pancakes was the first suggestion that came to my mind also. Usually you'll want to knwo what you'll use it for before you buy it though :)
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Use it for milk replacement..
  • Ephena
    Ephena Posts: 615 Member
    Buttermilk is great for baking, it gives a richer taste that is hard to get with just milk and isn't as greasy as butter.
  • Buttermilk makes great biscuits too.
  • Use it to marinate chicken, for oven baked chicken sprinkle a little whole wheat breadcrumbs and bake. the buttermilk makes the chicken so tender
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Love buttermilk - you can use it as a milk replacement - i use it on my oatmeal, us it in my smoothies instead of yoghurt...

I also make buttermilk Jello - I mix the powder with cup of hot water - and then use a cup of buttermilk as the "cold water" ....

You can also use it as a cream replacement in things like curries - the only thing is that it curdles easily - so you really need to add it last minute .....

Definitely google buttermilk recipes - it is very versatile
  • mortuseon
    mortuseon Posts: 579 Member
    Type buttermilk into punchfork.com and you'll get LOADS of recipes, sweet and savoury, that come up. Make sure you check out the calorie/fat content on each one, though.

(punchfork is my go-to when I have an ingredient that I want to use, but can't decide how!)
  • AmeChops
    AmeChops Posts: 744 Member
    Bought some buttermilk out of curiosity as id never seen it before and was wondering if anyone knew how I could use it, like in baking or something? would it replace milk or butter in the recipe?
    any help greatly appreciated!!

I actually bought buttermilk out of curiosity too - it sat in my fridge for a week or so, went out of date and went in the bin...it was a sad time for that buttermilk. Sorry, I don't have any recipes but hopefully you'll be able to use yours :-))
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    OK, now I'm completely intrigued as I've only cooked with it...

Is there a health benefit to using Buttermilk instead of Milk?
  • Artemis_Acorn
    Artemis_Acorn Posts: 836 Member
    Lots of recipies out there, but if I buy buttermilk, I drink it straight up. LOVE THE STUFF. It is creamy, tangy goodness. Mmmmm
  • i use buttermilk in my secret recipe pralines. pancakes are good too. however, you do not have to buy buttermilk--you can make your own by adding 1 tbs lemon juice to 1 cup of milk---whole or fat free. this works for baking--not sure about drinking it though so i dont recommend that. LOL
  • MissingMyOldSelf
    MissingMyOldSelf Posts: 689 Member
    I just printed off some salad dressing recipes from Gina's SkinnyTaste site. I made buttermilk ranch dressing, and I have to find some tomatillos to make the cilantro dressing with it. And my picky eater husband LOVES the ranch dressing! :)
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,866 Member
    OK, now I'm completely intrigued as I've only cooked with it...

Is there a health benefit to using Buttermilk instead of Milk?
    Well, buttermilk is a probiotic, much like yogurt and it has some vit & min advantages as well compared to reg milk.
  • Summerleahd
    Summerleahd Posts: 314 Member
    I just made cornbread with it today :) first time ever using buttermilk and they are amazing
  • Not sure if it was already mentioned but if you are making cake, you can switch the water in a box recipe for buttermilk and it will make it taste homemade. That's a trick I heard from Paula Deen who isn't the healthiest cook in the world, but makes good food. I tried this with a box cake mix (yellow), used applesauce instead of oil, the eggs, added some canned pumpkin, the buttermilk, and some pumpkin pie spice and it made a delicious pumpkin spice bread.
  • MrsJax11
    MrsJax11 Posts: 354 Member
    It is needed for the oatmeal pancakes I make, and I use it in garlic mashed potatoes. Yum!