Difference in food brands

I can't believe the differences between food brands of the same item. Since I've joined here and putting in all my recipes I've been paying attention to nutrition labels. Like today for instance I went grocery shopping for reduced fat crescent rolls and instead of grabbing the brand I always buy I compared labels. The generic had half the amount of sugar in it and then comparing enchilada sauce the name brand had less carbs/sugar in it than the generic. I guess I want to say when you go grocery shopping compare labels between brands of the same thing and be open to trying new ones.

Replies

• MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Yup one should always read labels! Also pay attention to portion sizes too... some brands are sneaky and they make tiny portion sizes so it looks like there is less calories/sugars/carbs/fats etc... when in reality, it probably has more than another brand for the same amount.
  • amyindm
    amyindm Posts: 93 Member
    I noticed that this week too... I was looking for lower fat cream of mushroom soup. One brand's "regular" version had the same amount of fat and calories as another's "reduced fat" version. Reading labels definitely pays off!
  • kiahpyr
    kiahpyr Posts: 85 Member
    Yup one should always read labels! Also pay attention to portion sizes too... some brands are sneaky and they make tiny portion sizes so it looks like there is less calories/sugars/carbs/fats etc... when in reality, it probably has more than another brand for the same amount.

That's a good point also.
  • kiahpyr
    kiahpyr Posts: 85 Member
    Duplicate post. I have no idea why mfp is doing that.