zumba basics - learning the dance steps...

Options
I spent an hour learning the moves today - first time trying it - and I worked pretty hard... I'd call it moderate effort and I used a zumba calculator that puts your weight and effort and time and calculates and I put in 45 cuz there was some time between moves it gave me 500 something so I rounded it down to 500.

Sort of stupid question but - I can count that for cardio today right?

Replies

• sammylc
    sammylc Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    absolutely, Zumba is quite a workout - I love it, although I've no rhythm!!!!
  • TraceyMarieHarnett
    TraceyMarieHarnett Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I really like Zumba....I'm doing it twice a week! It's so much fun and you're right.....you work hard, but I never feel like I'm working so hard that I can't do it or want to stop. Hope you enjoy!
  • pinkgigi
    pinkgigi Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    that calculation sounds about right to me, I wear a heart rate monitor and the first time I did Zumba I used up 500 calories.

GG
  • DaniellePF
    DaniellePF Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    You totally can--in fact, check this website out.....you can even adjust your effort levels for accuracy.

www.zumbacalories.com
  • branflake5
    Options
    i just started zumba a couple weeks ago and i love it! its a great work out and for someone like me who doesn't like standard boring workouts it is perfect. so much fun i actually look forward to my workouts now:) u should def count it as cardio , and don't focus on perfecting every move right way just jump in there and do it within a few days you'll have it all down :) good luck
  • daydream58
    daydream58 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    That's the one I used... I said 45 and moderate because it was hard being my first time and all and I said 45 instead of 60 because there were little breaks between learning the moves, so it was CONSTANT.

It was guessing all around, but I am STILL hot and sweaty and I finished nearly half an hour ago! I guess my body is still BURNING the fat, good!!

I will eat back half of the 500 just in case it wasn't that accurate. I have to guess a LOT because I can't use a HRM because my heart rate is artificially low (resting 52 and working out 90-95) but I take a drug to slow it down, so I don't know how to factor that in so I use the "effort" method like light, moderate or heavy, whatever instead. Hopefully it all works out.

Meanwhile I'm just STOKED that I did that - I was not sure I could!! :)