Which calories to use - From MFP or Elliptical?

The calorie total on my elliptical differs vastly from the one MFP gives me when I plug in the amount of time I exercised. Which one should I go with? (I've been using the ones on the elliptical since they're lower)

Replies

• I go with the lower amount that way I feel safe if I get close to my max calories for the day - I'd rather be under then over.
  • liveinthemix
    liveinthemix Posts: 360 Member
    That was kinda my logic too.. it's almost like MFP's readout is a "vanity" calorie burn for me.. lol! thanks!!
  • keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    Go with the elliptical and not mfp. I have noticed that mfp is way off. I wear a HRM when I work out and I find it's closer to the machines.
  • shivaslives
    shivaslives Posts: 279 Member
    The MFP readings for ellipticals is really high. Definitely go with the machine but make sure you've entered your age and weight.
  • BigHeadedBull
    BigHeadedBull Posts: 4 Member
    Unless you are using a Heart Rate Monitor (HRM), the calories on your elliptical are most likely based on the data you enter when you start your exercise (age, weight, gender, etc.) and then calculated according to averages. The calories burned shown on MFP have to be estimates based on averages as well. A HRM measures how hard you worked according to how much work your heart did and is as exact as you are going to get. Without the HRM data, I agree that you are better off using the lower of the machine and the MFP numbers. Keep up the great work!
  • brucedelaney
    brucedelaney Posts: 433 Member
    typically the machine you're on is going to know your caloric burn better then MFP will... MFP is based on an average number based on weight.

An elliptical takes your weight into account and can determine how much "work" you're doing based on it's resistance and incline. In fact some ellipticals will give you a real time "work" readout in either Watts or Mets.

9 out of 10 times the machine you're exercising on is more accurate.
  • 2bFitNTrim
    2bFitNTrim Posts: 1,209 Member
    The MFP readings for ellipticals is really high. Definitely go with the machine but make sure you've entered your age and weight.

This
  • liveinthemix
    liveinthemix Posts: 360 Member
    Thanks all!! I guess I should start using this wireless HRM that came w/the elliptical.. *doh* !!! lol
  • workingtobethin
    workingtobethin Posts: 14 Member
    I use what the elliptical says. Especially if it's the kind you can enter your weight.