My Poor Furbaby

Options
JellyJaks
JellyJaks Posts: 589 Member
I needs advice please. My poor kitty Charlotte caught fleas and we are having such problems completely ridding her of them. She's had 3 flea baths. I've treated the carpet and furniture and washed all the bedding. She has a flea collar on and I've given her the drops between her shoulders that are supposed to take care of the eggs...

Anyone have any further ideas on what to do? I thought we were in the clear and then today while I was brushing her about 10 of the *kitten* jumped out at me. I wonder how many calories I burned screaming DIE YOU EFFEN THINGS DIE as I smooshed all of them...

Replies

• brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    Flea baths are temporary. They don't tend to kill flea eggs. Get a treatment.
  • JellyJaks
    Options
    Flea baths are temporary. They don't tend to kill flea eggs. Get a treatment.

Treatment as in another dosage of the OTC stuff or take her to the vet?
  • drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    if you already put the treatment on, it should be ok (I think). prob just takes a day or so.

you could try calling your vet too...see what they say.
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    I needs advice please. My poor kitty Charlotte caught fleas and we are having such problems completely ridding her of them. She's had 3 flea baths. I've treated the carpet and furniture and washed all the bedding. She has a flea collar on and I've given her the drops between her shoulders that are supposed to take care of the eggs...

Anyone have any further ideas on what to do? I thought we were in the clear and then today while I was brushing her about 10 of the *kitten* jumped out at me. I wonder how many calories I burned screaming DIE YOU EFFEN THINGS DIE as I smooshed all of them...

kinda feeling like i am still at work tonight :laugh:

flea baths are temporay , will only kill whats on the pet. flea collar are completly usesless, throw it a way, many can be extreamly toxic to cats. same goes with many of the otc product, all the ones in grocery stores an most non pet stores, useless and toxic to cats.

okay first get Frontline or Adavantage, they are the only ones that work. pet armour should work having the same active ingrediant as frontline, however many clients have tried and are not happy with it.

second it is fantastic that you did that house and such as well, should do the yard too (unless you live in an apartment) even if she does not go out side.

now it is VERY IMPORTANT that the product you use has what is called IGRs Insect Growth Regulators. if the product does not you will be basicaly working against the tide so to speak, products not including IGRs are just adulticides , the adult flea is only the tip of the ice burge.

if you have any question message me, I am a vet tech of 20 + years in florida, one of our biggest issues is fleas
  • rmwinters
    rmwinters Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    buy a monkey to eat them off the cat!
  • JellyJaks
    Options

kinda feeling like i am still at work tonight :laugh:

I totally laughed at your signature :smile:
  • mamapuddin17
    mamapuddin17 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    JMO don't use any OTC product on your furbaby. Go to the vet and get some Frontline or you can get it at a Pet store. You are wasting your money on OTC products.
  • Dawnrenee1994
    Options
    Please be very careful mixing flea products (the spot on treatments and the flea collar)!! The chemical mix can sometimes cause a reaction that may be a mild rash on up to a severe seizure. Also, make sure you are using a good quality spot on treatment such as Frontline or Advantix. The cheap grocery store products often don't work and they can also have major side effects. If you have already used a lesser quality product, don't add anything else without talking to your vet first. In the meantime, Dawn diswashing liquid is actually a safe, and pretty effective flea shampoo. Good luck! I hate the little nasties, too!
  • Mad_Dog_Muscle
    Mad_Dog_Muscle Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    I hear a shaved kitty gets no fleas... :noway:
  • zenchild
    zenchild Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    The OTC is worthless. Go to the vet. I hate putting chemicals on my dogs but at least the stuff from the vet actually works.
  • JellyJaks
    Options
    Please be very careful mixing flea products (the spot on treatments and the flea collar)!! The chemical mix can sometimes cause a reaction that may be a mild rash on up to a severe seizure. Also, make sure you are using a good quality spot on treatment such as Frontline or Advantix. The cheap grocery store products often don't work and they can also have major side effects. If you have already used a lesser quality product, don't add anything else without talking to your vet first. In the meantime, Dawn diswashing liquid is actually a safe, and pretty effective flea shampoo. Good luck! I hate the little nasties, too!

Well poop! I'm so glad you posted this because it didn't even occur to me about mixing the meds. I do believe it's time for kitty to take a trip to the vet. She's about old enough to be spayed too. She's going to hate my by the time she comes back home :grumble:
  • tikikris
    tikikris Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    If you have eggs in your home, unfortunately, you may have to bomb. I agree with everyone else that the OTC does not work, unfortunately. Once you get rid of the little suckers, prevent by treating monthly with whatever your vet recomments. Good luck.
  • JellyJaks
    Options

I totally said that to my brother in law earlier! "Damn it Tony let's just shave her so the *kitten* can't hide anymore!" :laugh:
  • CityOnAHill
    CityOnAHill Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I adopted a feral kitten three years ago that was so flea ridden that he was anemic. Take kitty to the vet. Let them know that they kitty needs to be dipped.
    All it took for my little Aurther Ray was one trip and some iron medicine.

Good luck!
  • FairyMiss
    Options
    you said you had carpet didnt you, look for a product called Flea Busters its a poweder you put down , totaly non toxic, and guaranteed by the company for a year
  • FairyMiss
    Options
    JMO don't use any OTC product on your furbaby. Go to the vet and get some Frontline or you can get it at a Pet store. You are wasting your money on OTC products.

frontline and adavantage are both now OTC. so now there is NO excuse for people not to use the good stuff
  • FairyMiss
    Options

funny but saddly not true, though they are much easier to spot
  • FairyMiss
    Options
    okay you didnt hear me say this, but if you take her to the vet ask them about Comfortis,

it is off label use in cats but some vets will do it, we have used it , including on my own cats with no ill effects.

and there is no better flea product

shhhhhh
  • kykykenna
    kykykenna Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    Neem oil is worth a shot. You will have to read about it online....smells atrocious. You can buy shampoo with it in it. I swear by it. Good luck!!!
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    Buy a product like Revolution, Advantage or Frontline for cats from your vet. DO NOT use an OTC product like Hartz or Sargeants. I'm an Emergency Veterinary Technician, and at least twice a month I am treating cats with flea product toxicity. These products can cause seizures and skin burns. I'm sorry if this has already been said, I didn't read through the whole thread. But it's very very important.

Make sure whatever product you decide upon is labeled specifically for cats. Trying to get a discount product could end up in thousands of dollars in vet bills and possibly the loss of your cat.