Instant Intense Headache

Options
The last two times I have worked out I have gotten an instant and extremely intense headache from doing pushups. It is at the back of my head right above my spine. It is incredibly painful, and unfortunately prevents me from doing that type of exercise. I first got this headache on Tuesday afternoon during my work out with my trainer, it was mostly gone by today (Thursday)... doing the pushups again I got the headache.

Has anyone else experienced this? I am calling my doctor tomorrow, but wanted to see if others had similar issues.

Thanks!

Replies

• 1horsetown
    1horsetown Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Chiropractor. Go see one.
  • Apazman
    Apazman Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    try taking asprin before hand as it thins the blood and may make it easier to pass through the veins and arteries?
  • fit145
    fit145 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Definatly go see your doctor. In the meantime I would skip them or do them against the wall so your head isn't down.
  • jbeauchamp1
    jbeauchamp1 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Could be back but also do you have high blood pressure? Sometimes when you have high blood pressure and you are doing intense workouts that requires strain can make you have intense throbbing in your head. Also make sure you are not holding your breathe while you are doing them because that can cause throbbing pains. I would recommend going to your family doctor and see what he thinks.
  • jess_blonde
    jess_blonde Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    If the pain returns, please go to the ER. Other than that, definitely follow up with your doctor. He/She may want to do further testing to rule out a sentinel bleed (a small warning bleed that may occur prior to a full blown aneurysm). Sudden, intense head pain when exercising is always a warning sign that something serious may be going on. Don't try to "work through it" or otherwise continue.