Chicken & Mashed Potatoes in a Garlic White Wine Sauce

Options
mamashatzie
mamashatzie Posts: 238 Member
I had some ingredients I wanted to use up and so I came up with this for dinner tonight. It was so tasty I had to share!

Ingredients:
Seasoning salt
Poultry seasoning
Garlic powder
2 cups vegetable or chicken broth (optional)
Dash of white wine (optional)
1.25lb chicken breast
1 tbsp butter
1 tsp olive oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup white wine
1 cup 2% milk, divided (you can sub lower fat milk, this is just what I had on hand)
1 1/4 tbsp cornstarch
1 large baking potato, peeled and cubed
3 tbsp reduced-fat or fat-free cream cheese

Season both sides of chicken with seasoning salt, poultry seasoning, salt and pepper, and garlic powder. I tend to be heavy-handed on the seasonings, but you can use however much you like.

Optional: to marinade chicken overnight, placed seasoned chicken in a large Ziplock bag or bowl with vegetable broth and a dash of white wine. Refrigerate. Discard broth after marinating.

If you don't want to marinate, you won't need the broth and extra dash of wine.

In large skillet, heat butter, olive oil, and garlic. Stir in white wine. Add chicken and cook over medium heat until cooked through.

In the meantime, put diced potatoes in a bowl with water to cover. Microwave about 10-12 minutes or until potato is very soft. Drain. Add cream cheese and microwave another 30 sec to 1 minute, to soften cream cheese. Add 1/4 cup milk, salt and pepper; mash thoroughly.

In a small bowl with a tight-fitting lid, combine cornstarch and 1/4 cup milk. Put on the lid and shake vigorously until well combined.

Remove chicken from skillet and reduce heat to low. Whisk the corn starch mixture into the pan drippings. Cook on low, whisking continually, until mixture becomes very thick. Whisk in remaining 1/2 cup milk. Continue cooking on low until heated through and thick (gravy consistency). Taste; add additional salt, pepper, and/or garlic powder if needed.

Serve sauce over chicken and mashed potatoes.

As I prepared it, this recipe made 4 servings:
430 cal
20g fat
203g sodium
23.6g carbohydrates
2g fiber
4.6g sugar
34.5g protein

Replies