Workout NSV

Options
I've never been much of a runner: I'm more of a lumberer than a runner. I've done C25K before, but eventually stopped running because it was too hard on my knees.

Recognizing that fact, I bought a bike this spring and started mountianbiking again after about a decade off the bike. I remembered why I loved the sport, and I'm always ready to go ride. This post isn't actually about biking, though.

Since winter's arrived in Denver and Monday was the last time I worked out, I was starting to feel antsy tonight about getting in a workout. Given that my bike's at the office, biking was out. I threw on some shorts, laced up my neglected running shoes and headed out. I figured I'd start something similar to Week 1 of C25K, with 30 second run intervals followed by walking to recovery.

30 seconds wasn't long enough, so I stretched the run intervals out to a minute, then 90 seconds, then longer. I stopped looking at my watch and started taking in the scenery, the weather, the melting snow, and what a nice afternoon it turned out to be. After I got home, I felt great -- no joint pain at all, just a little tightness in my glutes, since they don't get worked as much on the bike as they do running.

I chalk the nice run up to me being both lighter and in better shape than I was the last time I ran, thanks to better eating, and around a thousand miles on my bike over the summer. That's a NSV for sure.

Now, bring on ski season.

Replies

• NuttyBrewnette
    NuttyBrewnette Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

Awesome!

Good for you!
  • JoDeeD
    JoDeeD Posts: 391
    Options
    Great Job! I need to run again. It has been about a week for me. I did first week of c25k but haven't had the time since.
  • LucianaMilk
    Options
    It seems that nature in Colorado is inspiring you...
    Very well done

My city is not that beautiful... so unfortunately I will keep my exercise indoor

All the best
  • lotuslion
    Options
    Nice! (Also, for knee pain, did you get fitted for a proper pair of running shoes? My husband used to have terrible joint pain while running, but after getting fitted at Boulder Running Company, he's had no problem.)

And why hello there, Denver neighbor and fellow mtb'er. I'm in Highlands Ranch. :D
  • strongnotskinny121
    strongnotskinny121 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    what does nsv mean?
  • Jedibeau
    Options
    Good job! I am also a mountain biker, up here in Vancouver, Canada. I started doing some running and can attest that a properly fitted pair of shoes is awesome. I still prefer the treadmill though as my knees still don't like the concrete.

Keep up the good work!
  • Jennical
    Jennical Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    what does nsv mean?

Non Scale Victory.
  • mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Awesome! I had a similar experience. I had been doing C25K, but got bored and experimented with intervals on the treadmill for a while. Then, for fun, I decided to see how long I could run, and ran straight with no breaks for over a mile. About two weeks later I ran a 5k on the treadmill with no walking breaks.

Congrats! It is an AMAZING feeling!
  • jskaggs1971
    jskaggs1971 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Nice! (Also, for knee pain, did you get fitted for a proper pair of running shoes?)

Not only that, but I have custom orthotics from the doc to give arch support for my flat feet. The orthotics ended my regular battles with tendinitis in my knees.

Boulder Running Company is a great shop. I'm up in NW Littleton, right near Bear Creek Park, which is my usual "get out and ride for an hour" destination. Great bike trails at Green Mountain / Mathews Winters / Deer Creek / Apex / and Mt. Falcon are just a few minutes away too.

For you non-CO people, you have to understand, there's so much beautiful stuff right outside the door, it;s doubly hard to make ones self go to a gym to work out.
  • lotuslion
    Options
    Nice! (Also, for knee pain, did you get fitted for a proper pair of running shoes?)

Not only that, but I have custom orthotics from the doc to give arch support for my flat feet. The orthotics ended my regular battles with tendinitis in my knees.

Boulder Running Company is a great shop. I'm up in NW Littleton, right near Bear Creek Park, which is my usual "get out and ride for an hour" destination. Great bike trails at Green Mountain / Mathews Winters / Deer Creek / Apex / and Mt. Falcon are just a few minutes away too.

For you non-CO people, you have to understand, there's so much beautiful stuff right outside the door, it;s doubly hard to make ones self go to a gym to work out.

You are in my old stomping grounds! We used to live in an apartment off Kipling, just north of 285 - we bought a house here in HR in August. (I work in the DTC, so my commute is MUCH better now.) I love Bear Creek Lake Park and Bear Creek Trail - I also used to ride it almost every day when we lived over there, and we'd go up to Green Mtn and Matthew Winters too. HR has a nice set of trails near where we live as well - that was actually one of our criteria for buying a house, lol.

Have you tried trail running? That also helped my husband - concrete is not very forgiving to our joints. Not that I'm trying to push you into running, haha.

It's true what you said about CO - we moved here from the DC area, and it is so easy to be active here. So many beautiful places for hiking, biking, backpacking, and so many sunny days!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!