Fitness with limits

Options
Hi guys

I have a number of health issues which find me spending a lot of time laying down. I am trying to work in 10 minute lots of exercise on the days I can manage it to at least do something!
I have an elliptical at home and a basic home gym. So when I can I have done 2 lots of 10min on elliptical.
On really good days I go outside for a walk instead, better for the mind too!

Anyways I'm wondering about putting in some basic non-cardio exercises too & wondering what the most beneficial exercises might be, i need quality not quantity at the moment. Any suggestions - if you could only manage ten min blocks of exercise what would you be doing??

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I don't have an answer for you but I did want to tell you that I totally sympathize. I have lupus and it sucks, seriously. So if you ever want to commiserate that everyone else is working out for hours and burning 600 calories at a time (or more) you can come look at my page and see me burning 100-300 calories per day with my slow walk down the driveway and back and realize you're not alone.
  • snkeller24
    Options
    Maybe look into resistance bands? You're able to use them for many different type of exercises and muslce groups. Even just your basic body movements; lunges, squats, sit ups/crunches, and push ups. As you increase stability and stregnth you start doing them with some dumbbells. Cheaper way is gallon containers of water. The important part is trying to get your heart rate up; go up in resistance on your elliptical and really push yourself. It's all about adapting.
  • mwilke
    mwilke Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I am just starting out my exercise routine, so I really have no advice. However, I just wanted to commend both of you for taking the steps to get healthy, even though you have medical issues that hinder that. Kudos! And keep on keeping on even though it may go slower than you wish. :)
  • Mariposa187
    Mariposa187 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    i know the feeling i was in the same boat for a while. I hope you find something that works for you. the elliptical is an awesome way to burn cals. I dont know your exact condition so i dont know what would work best for you but you could do intervals. The internet has some great sites that have simple interval exercises (jump roping 90 sec, kick back triceps 60 secs) and so on and it is a really good workout. I dont have the site anymore but if i find it i will send you the link.

Best of luck!
  • Mariposa187
    Mariposa187 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    There are also ten min workout on TWC fitness on demand if you have that
  • kunibob
    kunibob Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I have been battling health issues for a long time and have only recently been in remission and able to exercise properly, so I definitely understand where you are coming from. You may find, depending what your health issues are, that your body adjusts and is gradually able to take on more...but definitely be sure to listen to your body. Sometimes it takes our bodies longer to recover than most when we're battling our health.

Elliptical is an excellent idea because it's low-impact. I also second the resistance band idea, and suggest something like yoga as well. I used to do a lot of stretching in a bathtub full of warm water to gradually build up my body's strength after so much time in bed. Exercise programs geared toward seniors are also great, because they focus on easy movements. Anything that will be slowly conditioning your body and building a base will be great for easing you into things. The key will be slowly ramping up and slowly increasing times or intensity, and letting your body adjust.

Good luck!!!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I have been battling health issues for a long time and have only recently been in remission and able to exercise properly, so I definitely understand where you are coming from. You may find, depending what your health issues are, that your body adjusts and is gradually able to take on more...but definitely be sure to listen to your body. Sometimes it takes our bodies longer to recover than most when we're battling our health.

Elliptical is an excellent idea because it's low-impact. I also second the resistance band idea, and suggest something like yoga as well. I used to do a lot of stretching in a bathtub full of warm water to gradually build up my body's strength after so much time in bed. Exercise programs geared toward seniors are also great, because they focus on easy movements. Anything that will be slowly conditioning your body and building a base will be great for easing you into things. The key will be slowly ramping up and slowly increasing times or intensity, and letting your body adjust.

Good luck!!!

DITTO to the 10th power on letting your body adjust. I had to start with 10 min walks and I've gradually worked up to as much as an hour (usually it's more like 30 mins). If you do too much too fast you can do damage and you don't want that.
  • nudqt
    nudqt Posts: 98
    Options
    I am a slow and steady girl, too.....about 175-300 cals a day in exercise.....

Keep up the steady work...it, too, will pay off.....
  • pinksultana
    pinksultana Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys
    It's great to not feel alone in this struggle even though I don't wish anyone to have to struggle! I love the exercise for seniors suggestion - maybe I can go exercise with my grandma haha... Seriously though maybe!

X
  • iceqieen
    iceqieen Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    if you're unsure of what to do for the 10m exercises and have some extra money then a Wii fit is an easy exercise option. yoga and strength exertcises, plus very short aerobic ones. know a few (me included) who have used that as a starter to get going.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I am so PROUD of you! Keep up the great work and you will see a difference. Maybe someday you will report you did 20 minutes and cannot believe it.

God bless!:flowerforyou: