What to do if you've binged at the weekend?!

Options
Hey guys
I am new to this but have trouble keeping to any sort of diet at the weekends. For example, last weekend I went over by about 2,000 cals on the friday and 1,200 on the Saturday mainly due to alcohol (went to a couple of friends' parties and stupdly drank beer instead of anything lighter) or food eaten when a few drinks in.

Putting aside (for now) the dangers to my health of drinking so much, how is best to move on from this? I have logged it all and i feel much better that I have (hopefully facing up to habits will help me change my lifestyle in this respect). But on a practical level should I then try and be 3,200 calories down over the next week to try and even this out?

i have been trying to do this this week (and suceeding in part, lots of exercise and healthy but small meals) but all the posts about not eating all your cals has worried me that I am doing the wrong thing.

Has anyone got any advice? (or a time machine I can borrow)?

B

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    the past is the past, don't worry about it and get on track. i wouldn't do anything above and beyond to make up for a bad weekend personally
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    the past is the past, don't worry about it and get on track. i wouldn't do anything above and beyond to make up for a bad weekend personally

^ This is good advice.
  • azzacca
    azzacca Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    And if you know you're going to be binging, you can always try to get an extra workout in. Not 2k cal worth, but something. I knew last Saturday I was going to be heavy on the processed carbs after bowling (they were ordering Buca in), so I ran for 20 minutes. Since that's all zone 4 for me, it was all sugar. I earned those carbs!
  • ch178
    ch178 Posts: 364 Member
    Options

I agree with this
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I think you are on the right track! You logged it and see where those calories come from. For me that is what helps the most, seeing the calories. Put the weekend behind you. Don't try and crash on calories to make up for it. You have to retrain yourself and it won't happen overnight.

Keeping my diary public, getting good friends on MFP to support me and for me to be accountable to has also been HUGE for me! Just knowing they'll see, keeps me honest!
  • aa1440
    aa1440 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Get a really good calorie burn the day that you know you are going to be drinking and eating alot. That's what I do. I drink vodka on my days off. I get a damn good calorie burn that day so I don't have to worry about the calories. (Don't get drunk. You have to remember how many drinks you've had.)

I do the same thing when I go out to eat. I get a really good calorie burn and only eat half of my meal. I bring the other half home for a meal later or the next day.
  • pink59eldo
    Options
    I think you are on the right track! You logged it and see where those calories come from. For me that is what helps the most, seeing the calories. Put the weekend behind you. Don't try and crash on calories to make up for it. You have to retrain yourself and it won't happen overnight.

Keeping my diary public, getting good friends on MFP to support me and for me to be accountable to has also been HUGE for me! Just knowing they'll see, keeps me honest!

Perfect advice. I really like seeing where my calories go. It's all about learning to live with a new lifestyle. I also have a hard time on the weekends, but practice makes perfect...over time :)
  • BrewerGeorge
    BrewerGeorge Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Clean slate and move on.
  • bromwin
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I will try to learn and not do the same this weekend and then hopefully I can start seeing the rewards from my healthy weeks!
  • ParisArkw
    Options
    Looks like you've gotten some good advice already, but I want to add that when you binge, learn to just look forward. So many times I have let a binge just kind of ruin all of my hope and goals and inspiration. But now I think, "well, it was one binge, one day, or two days out of my diet. It's a lot healthier that the overeating is just those two days rather than everyday," like it was before the diet. Which is obvious, but thinking that way helped me. =b Also, if you're paranoid the way I am, and weigh yourself after a binge and feel like you've gained the hard-earned lost weight, think: If it took one day to gain that weight, you can take one day to counter it.

I don't know how 100% true that works in terms of actual weight loss, but it's been true to me, and is also just motivational.

Hope I was helpful. Good luck, don't give up, and I hope you lose the weight you want to. =) You can do it!
  • fatty2fabby
    fatty2fabby Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    YOU GET YOUR *kitten* OUT THERE AND WORK!! DO YOU HEAR ME??? I WANT 500 PUSH UPS NOW!! ON THE GROUND!

hahahaha :) no really like others have said dont sweat it, it happens!