Replies

• catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    I guess the dog is SOL then.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    This sounds like a bladder problem. Either a UTI or stones.

There is no way eating bird poop would cause either of those problems.

If it is bladder stones, the dog get a urethral obstruction. This is the same thing that happens with blocked cats. Do you know if the dog is urinating at all? If not, this is a life threatening situation. Let me share a little of what happens if this is the situation and it goes untreated. The bladder keeps getting larger and larger and it becomes more and more painful. The kidneys start struggling to function and eventually stop working. The potassium level becomes dangerously high and starts attacking the heart. Eventually, if the animal does not go into cardiac arrest from hyperkalemia (high potassium), the bladder will burst. All of this results in dying in the most extreme pain imaginable.

Of course, that may not even be the problem. Perhaps instead of straining to urinate, the dog is actually straining to defecate due to a foriegn body obstruction. Should I go into a step by step process of what happens when the intestines perforate and the animal dies of sepsis?
  • margo36
    margo36 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Sounds like your daughter's dog may have kidney stones and needs a visit to the vet ASAP. In the UK we have the Blue Cross who will treat your animal if you have no money but most Vets will agree a payment plan.Someone needs to get that dog to a Vet and today.
  • Metamorphasis555
    Options
    Just a quick update to let you all know that my daughter's dog is doing just fine now. Still not exactly sure what had him acting all sick the other day but it appears to be just a one day type thing because he's now back to acting 100% like his normal/energetic self.

Thank you very much to all of you who took time to respond to this post the other day. I really appreciate it.
  • Maryfullofgrace
    Maryfullofgrace Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Glad to know the Lab is well. I have two... so there is a soft place in my heart for the breed.