Chia seeds?

Options
I saw awhile back on Dr. Oz, that chia seed are very healthy for you and can help suppress your appetite. Has anyone tried them? How are they?

Replies

• Deathwithab
    Deathwithab Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    :/ id be afraid to have a chia pet growing inside me lol
  • delilah514
    delilah514 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I had some that were baked into a roll that I made into a sandwich for lunch today. It's pretty tasty & come to think of it I do feel fuller then usual this afternoon :)
  • muitobem
    muitobem Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Here's a link to check out some benefits of them...

http://www.nutsonline.com/cookingbaking/chia-seeds/premium.html
  • Clever_Girl
    Options
    Do the seeds come with your own theme song that follows you everywhere you go singing "ch-ch-ch-chia"?
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/378353-chia-seeds?hl=chia+seed#posts-5163218

Just recently, quite a few topics have popped up about these tasty little things. I linked one for you to read. :)
  • earthsember
    earthsember Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I often mix some in with plain yoghurt and honey, or in with my oatmeal or cereal. They're pretty good!
  • yummy♥
    yummy♥ Posts: 612 Member
    Options

spit and you'll be fine.
  • californiansun
    californiansun Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    There is no evidence that chia seeds have any benefits and will keep you fuller longer. That's what i found out when I was looking into them, maybe there is evidence from reputable sources now, but I'm not aware of any. Unless the FDA SAYS they do what they say that they do, I wouldn't buy it!
  • bjfmade
    bjfmade Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I have been using them for almost a year in my breakfast smoothie.
  • lindzmt22
    Options

HAHA!!! This made me LOL :P
  • claire_xox
    claire_xox Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I know they sell them at regular supermarkets in australia and in lots of slim bars etc in the health food sections. I think they work in the same way eating puffed rice kernals keep you fuller for longer or oats or something like that - they're not a magic diet tool, but incorporating them into your diet will probably have some small benefit :)
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    I don't use them to suppress my appetite. A friend at work just told me about them and I love them. I like to put them in my Chobani yogurt, stir them in and just eat em up. My purpose for taking them is that allegedly they have MORE fiber than flaxseed and more superfood powers. I think I'd rather eat chia seeds with a little protein than drink the flaxseed oil. I go back and forth though.
  • LivyJo
    LivyJo Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    They are good sprinkled on salmon or chicken before grilling!
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    There is no evidence that chia seeds have any benefits and will keep you fuller longer. That's what i found out when I was looking into them, maybe there is evidence from reputable sources now, but I'm not aware of any. Unless the FDA SAYS they do what they say that they do, I wouldn't buy it!

The FDA is bought out by any industry that can afford it. Monsonto. In fact, better not to buy into whatever the government agencies say. They seem to think aspartame is okay to ingest, but it's not. If the FDA gave a ****, America wouldn't have an obesity epidemic, milk wouldn't have rBGH, vegetables wouldn't be genetically modified and void of nutrients... blah, blah, blah, I know.

Don't eat chia seeds to prevent hunger. They are supplements and a good source of fiber, so yes, fiber does keep you fuller longer in general, so I see the logic in that.
  • californiansun
    Options

The FDA is bought out by any industry that can afford it. Monsonto. In fact, better not to buy into whatever the government agencies say. They seem to think aspartame is okay to ingest, but it's not. If the FDA gave a ****, America wouldn't have an obesity epidemic, milk wouldn't have rBGH, vegetables wouldn't be genetically modified and void of nutrients... blah, blah, blah, I know.

Don't eat chia seeds to prevent hunger. They are supplements and a good source of fiber, so yes, fiber does keep you fuller longer in general, so I see the logic in that.

That's an ignorant way to look at things, no offense. Things are the way they are now because people thought they would be a good idea (Food scientists), no one did it to hurt other people. There is an obesity epidemic because people don't EXERCISE anymore, they overeat, don't eat right etc.! Don't blame the food industry for that, they don't hold obese people hostage and say "EAT THIS!". Maybe I think this because I'm getting certified to work in the health field, I'm not sure!
  • NPetrakis
    NPetrakis Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    the Chia has an amazing history going back thousands of years in South and Central America. The "fullness" comes from their ability to expand and hold MANY times their mass in water, in effect providing hydration over time as well as other nutrients. Stories tell of Inca or Aztec messengers surviving only on the Chia as they run from ancient city to city. No way to confirm any of that of course.

There is clinical data to be had for those interested. As far as it being a supplement, I would trust anything the ancients ate to sustain an endurance athlete because if they were BS, they would stop using them. I use them, they dissolve in water and flavor it. Pretty cool.
  • NPetrakis
    Options

That's an ignorant way to look at things, no offense. Things are the way they are now because people thought they would be a good idea (Food scientists), no one did it to hurt other people. There is an obesity epidemic because people don't EXERCISE anymore, they overeat, don't eat right etc.! Don't blame the food industry for that, they don't hold obese people hostage and say "EAT THIS!". Maybe I think this because I'm getting certified to work in the health field, I'm not sure!

No there's a obesity epidemic because we defy or evolution by eating things that humans did not have and so cannot fully process, so the body does it's best with a bad situation. The inactivity can be a symptom as well as a cause, depending on the individual. Though almost all the food choices int he market are BAD.
  • californiansun
    Options

No there's a obesity epidemic because we defy or evolution by eating things that humans did not have and so cannot fully process, so the body does it's best with a bad situation. The inactivity can be a symptom as well as a cause, depending on the individual. Though almost all the food choices int he market are BAD.

No one in the food industry is telling obese people to eat anything, people can make their own choices. Overeating, eating crappy foods, being inactive is peoples own fault, not the food industry.
  • NPetrakis
    Options
    "food industry" is too broad a brush. Some sell FOOD. Others sell objects you can ingest and garner some nutrition from, with acceptable side effects. Once people are educated in the difference, they choose food. Imagine how small the market would be if only food were sold and you understand the motivation to not educate.
  • Deathwithab
    Deathwithab Posts: 462 Member
    Options

HAHA!!! This made me LOL :P

im glad :P
    all i could think is omg dont drink water right after cuz no woder people are saying they feel full they have little chia pets growing in there lol