just wanted to vent...

Options
SinIsIn
SinIsIn Posts: 1,865 Member
I do photography as a hobby on the weekends. I have a mini studio at home. Anyway I photographed this girl a couple weeks ago and I'm posting up her pix....and all she's doing is b!tching about how horrible she looks. I mean I'm not going to post pix that are ugly. She's a cute girl..just didn't want to smile ...anyway....she's just complaining and its pissing me off..so I thought I'd complain about her complaining. Lol....I'm just not going to edit anymore ...I mean I didn't even charge her. Blah....

Anyway ....anyone else got something to vent about?

Replies

• shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    Wow, that's not fair of her at all. People are way too hard on themselves, and she shouldn't be taking it out on you! Especially since she didn't even have to pay for the pictures.

Hmm... well tonight I was working as a server and half of my tables tipped like, 10%.. they don't understand how hard we work. Oh well, all's well that ends well, right?
  • SinIsIn
    Options
    Wow, that's not fair of her at all. People are way too hard on themselves, and she shouldn't be taking it out on you! Especially since she didn't even have to pay for the pictures.

Hmm... well tonight I was working as a server and half of my tables tipped like, 10%.. they don't understand how hard we work. Oh well, all's well that ends well, right?
    Boooooo. I always try and tip more...especially if my server is nice! You all do work hard!
  • Aviendha_RJ
    Aviendha_RJ Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    OMG ~ also a server. Had this table today... complained the French Onion soup tasted like coloured water... (it's french onion soup, it doesn't HAVE a lot of taste, it's bread, aujus & cheese, really people!) AND that their son's fries weren't cooked. The fries were CRISPY... WTF?

I took the soup off the bill, & brought out fresh, HOT fries... plate burned my hand... & they said "it's not you we;re complaining about, you're great... it's the food that sucks"... THEN they tipped me like, 8%... who DOES that?

Oh.... & got a 10% tip tonight on a $16.90 bill... that's $1.69... That's just an INSULT. I don't CARE that you're 20 years old... you should KNOW BETTER.
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    That's awful... I work at an upscale restaurant and got a $6 tip on a $68 meal. This happens WAY too often. Ugh. No worries though, just trying to put myself through college... =/
  • Clever_Girl
    Options
    I think a good question to ask here is, where are you posting these pictures of this girl that has her complaining? Did she give you permission to post her pictures?
  • gbelltx
    gbelltx Posts: 142
    Options
    Photography is something that two people can look at the same picture and see something different. What I usually do is first get a signed release prior to a shoot. The release should state what each party is going to do with the pictures usually used for one another’s portfolios and not to be sold without consent. Also determine how many pictures you will provide after the shoot. Then go through your images and provide the numbers of images to your model. Also if they do not like the pictures for some reason find out why and maybe it’s something you can explain although yes people are hard on themselves when they see images. Find out which ones she likes and then compare the two and then go from there. Yes I am a photographer, I have done studio, on location, weddings, but love action sports..
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,682 Member
    Options
    That's awful... I work at an upscale restaurant and got a $6 tip on a $68 meal. This happens WAY too often. Ugh. No worries though, just trying to put myself through college... =/
    You'd love me then. I usually tip 20% unless the service is really, really bad. Then I might tip 10%.
  • Deckershann
    Deckershann Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Yeah, my hubby and I aren't super well off...I'm in school...but we both used to work in restaurants and we always tip good. I have this thing where I refuse to tip less than 5 dollars even if my meal only cost 10.
  • SinIsIn
    Options
    I think a good question to ask here is, where are you posting these pictures of this girl that has her complaining? Did she give you permission to post her pictures?
    Right now on my fan page on Facebook once I'm done with her set they go on my website. I always get permission to post them on both places.
  • MîîśÊmÿłõü
    MîîśÊmÿłõü Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's the type of complaining about herself because shes just attention seeking , if she didn't like the pictures just take them of your site and save the drama, how nice of you not even to charge her but yet she complains! Blah I swear you cant please everyone no matter how you try
  • SinIsIn
    Options
    Photography is something that two people can look at the same picture and see something different. What I usually do is first get a signed release prior to a shoot. The release should state what each party is going to do with the pictures usually used for one another’s portfolios and not to be sold without consent. Also determine how many pictures you will provide after the shoot. Then go through your images and provide the numbers of images to your model. Also if they do not like the pictures for some reason find out why and maybe it’s something you can explain although yes people are hard on themselves when they see images. Find out which ones she likes and then compare the two and then go from there. Yes I am a photographer, I have done studio, on location, weddings, but love action sports..
    You sound like you've been doing this a while!! I'm super amateur ...but I do discuss how many pix.where they are going to be posted and all that. This is the first time anyone has complained about their photos so much..so its kinda irritating. Lol. But I know she won't be the last. People are very hard on themselves ...oh well.
  • chicnsweet83
    Options
    I've been there, several times. I've been doing portraits since 2005 and work in a portrait studio for over a year now. Every young girl, woman or older female are all different. Some have accepted who they are and love themselves. Others, see nothing but their their faults. We, as photographers...you know, it's our job to tell them and remind them how pretty or beautiful they are-man or woman. I hear that alot. When I spend time on a subject, posing them and showing how to correct certain flaws, such broad shoulders, turkey chin...And explaining the process, showing them the difference between slouching and no smile and sitting up, shoulders back and a nice smile; that can make them feel confident. Help her see the value in the work you did for her as well

Personally I am always honest about people's pictures. And even if they come back saying "oh your just supposed to say that" I look them in the eyes and I tell them, "no, I am serious, you look pretty in this picture, look at that great smile and your hair looks good"...I know you're venting, but just try not to hold it against her.

Some things to keep in mind though, when you have a lady who's not open to being photographed, than "session plan". Ask questions about their favorites features. What they love the most about themselves and what kind of picture they want of them. Photographers can take lots of pictures and a woman might not like any of them. Been there too. Session planning will help you figure out what you should concentrate on. You probably already do this, but from you describing her as not wanting to smile, than that tells me she was probably nervous, uncomfortable, wasn't sure how to tell you how she really want it done.

Taking portraits is rough sometimes. good luck :)
  • JustEllieK
    JustEllieK Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Small rant! God i hate when people post something like "This is getting old. Soo over it. Will it ever stop??" on fb. Which you then ask "what" and they say "Nothing i am not going to just go out and say it, its personal" then why the *kitten*!!! did you post it on facebook?Then says "just drop it" i was like ookay. And she says "You need to calm down!!! Like dangg." WTF!

Its like okay if you bring that up as a good friend im going to ask what's wrong or what its about. And you say i dont wanna bring it up....well nobody the hell knows what you mean and stating this MEANS you want someone to know. UGH!
  • GrandmaJackie
    GrandmaJackie Posts: 36,337 Member
    Options
    I do photography as a hobby on the weekends. I have a mini studio at home. Anyway I photographed this girl a couple weeks ago and I'm posting up her pix....and all she's doing is b!tching about how horrible she looks. I mean I'm not going to post pix that are ugly. She's a cute girl..just didn't want to smile ...anyway....she's just complaining and its pissing me off..so I thought I'd complain about her complaining. Lol....I'm just not going to edit anymore ...I mean I didn't even charge her. Blah....

• Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    I could not be a server or waiter, I would probably stab someone with a fork. My minimum tip for anything is 5 dollars. I dont care if I ordered a cup of coffee its 5 bucks ! Unless of course the meal goes over 20% of 5 bucks then I usually tip 20-30%.

I have gone out to eat with friends/ family and I think the most embarrassing thing is when your with someone and they want to leave a terrible tip and make the "they get paid regardless statement".

I also went out with a friend and their family once and I witnessed the most *kitten* hole thing I have ever seen.... He pulls out a wad of 1's tells the waitress that there is 25 dollars in 1s and for every mistake, for every drink not refilled a dollar goes into this pocket.

Yeah I would have just punched him and threw the money on the ground... hence - not a waiter.
  • Jessamin
    Jessamin Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    People that don't follow the instructions I give them and then LIE about it fjakjghasdighjs. Dang 'em.
    DO NOT FEED YOUR DOG AFTER 8PM KEEP IT INSIDE GIVE WATER FREELY EASY PEASY PUMPKIN PIE but noooo, you have to tell me your dog hasn't eaten then let it vomit all over our surgery table and then near give me a heart attack. You're lucky we'd intubated reeeeeeeal quickly. You could have killed it! Why do you think we tell you to do these things?! I don't enjoy seeing you roll your eyes at me and huff but I tell you and make you take leaflets BECAUSE IT IS IMPORTANT. Even if your dog had eaten it could have been brought in the next day. Grumble. Grr.
  • KatieCuth
    KatieCuth Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    We are not big tippers in Australia. In Perth the service is terrible and so is the food... So I rarely tip but our wages are significantly higher.
  • nomorewishing
    nomorewishing Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, as much as I love them, my grandparents are horrible tippers. If they see us adding to their bad tip they go and take their tip back or extremely loudly tell us that the service wasn't worth more than a dollar. I understand that they're in their 80's and late 70's and that they don't have a lot of money, but they seem to think that servers are rolling in cash. We've had waitresses tell them before that they make below minimum wage, but my grandparents ALWAYS seem to forget that! They are sweet people, but stubborn as the day is long.
    As for the photography thing, it sounds to me like she was just wanting a few compliments! :tongue: Annoying though I'm sure!
  • goodmonster
    Options
    As poor as we can get I always try to tip as well as I can- I may not be a server but I work retail so I know how it can get.
    I work pet specific retail that also has a self-service dog wash (that we have to clean when people are done) and I teach dog training on top of that.

...the stupid stories that people bring in amaze me.

In our dog wash you HAVE to attach your dog to your tub because they will jump out; if you know your dog has fleas you can't use our dog wash, we only have a specific number of towels so NO YOU CAN'T HAVE ANOTHER I already gave you two.

I had a woman today yell at me, call me dense for explaining that she can't have four towels for her 4lb dog, and when the dog JUMPED OUT OF THE TUB she knocked over a whole bunch of shampoos yelling about how I did not warn her about how the dog could jump out. 0_o *twitch*

That's just one bad customer.
    We need to be tipped for that shizzle.
  • PBJunky
    PBJunky Posts: 737 Member
    Options

You have a lot of patience, if I were good at using photoshopped I would make her look a lot uglier =P