exercise and injury

Options
Hi, I have started to exercise a few times a week for a couple of week now and i am really enjoying it.

Yesterday morning i woke up with a sore/stiff ankle, i figure i have maybe lightly sprained it whilst running.

I didn't exercise yesterday to give it a break, but my ankle is still sore today.

My question is should i avoid exercise until my ankle is better? Or am i being a total wimp and just need to carry on?I don't want to risk making it worse but it is only a very mild sprain. Am i going to regret doing my 30 min jog later today?

I know it sounds like a stupid question but i am eager to carry on whilst i feel motivated.

Thanks

Replies

• Wimpey
    Wimpey Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Best to let it heal (rest, recovery, ice, elevation and compression and anty inflamatories etc)
    Then test it in a progressive manner (few minutes and see how it goes the next day)

It is like you are building the basics, preparation work, get this wrong and you will strugle later on, give yourself enough time for the body to adapt to running and then your progress will be quick.

Good luck!
  • Paolaki
    Options
    Exactly. Rest up and resume when your ankle feels well.