Combating Severe Cravings!

Options
Hi All

I was just wondering if anyone had any tips for what to do when you get a really severe craving for something bad for you?

I don't know if you're the same, but sometimes, I think of a food and I want it sooooo badly. I might not even be very hungry, but once I have the thought in my mind about something, I feel obsessed! It's like I can't think straight til I get some of that food (be it ice cream or steak or whatever).

At times like those, my willpower is little more than dust - it seems too hard to try and distract myself.

Will any of you share any tips and tricks you have for refocusing or overcoming these cravings?

Many thanks

Sarah

Replies

• MommaFuhrer
    MommaFuhrer Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I have this problem too! If you figure out something that works let me know! :happy:
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Indulge. Designate one day a week when you work a treat into your calories. Just don't go over board... I know some people swear by a cheat day or cheat meal. I prefer to work chocolate and whatever else I want (within reason) into my calories one day a week.
  • cherylwhite
    cherylwhite Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    During the day, I stay out of the kitchen and find something to do that will occupy my mind ...even go somewhere; for a walk or to the Mall. If it is night, I go right to bed with a book, looking forward to my breakfast in the morning.
  • JoDeeD
    JoDeeD Posts: 391
    Options
    I give in to the craving within moderation. I make sure I stick to the serving size (sometimes half a serving) to quench my craving. The biggest thing I am working on is self control. I want to be able to have my chocolate or ice cream. There were times that I would literally eat an entire box of little debbie brownies or fudge rounds in one sitting. We have a kitchen scale to keep us honest about portion sizes too. If it is a really high calorie craving I make sure I log the calories before I eat it (this sometimes stops the craving) and I add extra exercise to counteract the food within reason. Good luck!
  • sunshine77081
    Options
    Sarah,
    What I do is I dont deny myself the foods I want but will cut back on the portions I used to eat. If I want chocolate, I'll have a mini candy bar. Steak no sweat! It's all about a life style change and not exactly a diet. Don't deny yourself those things you want but don't over consume either. When I go to a restaurant I will only eat half of what I am given and usually ask for a box right away to curb any extra nibbles I may desire. Drink lots of water too! I see icecream on your list of things you are craving...for instance at DQ, the other day I treated my children and I got a Mini Blizzard. Not entirely the best in calories but way better than the Small. Skinny Cow makes a delicious icecream that isn't too hard on the calories either. Can be found in your local grocery store. I hope this helps.

Take care,
    Cassandra
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    This may seem crazy, but..... I eat a little bit of it.

I don't label bad foods. If it fits into my macros I will eat it. So save room calorie wise, and have a little:]

Or another trick that works: Eat a serving of frozen cranberries. Kills my cravings completely :D
  • ConnieSG
    ConnieSG Posts: 376
    Options
    I say if you have the craving that bad, then eat. A little side track every once in a while is not going to derail your goal. I know with me, I will continue to crave it until I eat it. Why put yourself through that torment and not eat it?

That's just my opinion though
  • lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I often tell myself that if I still really want it tomorrow, I can have some. Sometimes I "put off" the craving for a few weeks this way.

But other times, it doesn't work as well....