does anyone else hate exercise w. a passion?

Options
even when I was thin I have always hated exercise!!! I really have to force myself to do it and when i do its a while before i can force myself to do it again. I feel like a terrible person because all these busy busy people jam in a workout but me who is not that busy at all can find a 110 excuses not to:( and I really should. im I just crazy or is their anyone else in this boat?

Replies

• graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    I did until I found something that I loved. That's the key. People who go to the gym and hop on the elliptical every night blow my mind as I personally would be bored out of my mind. I found spinning. Spinning is my therapy. Dark room, loud music, kick *kitten* workout. I fell in love with it and became smaller than I've ever been. There are TONS of group exercise classes that keep things fresh, and for me the hour just flies by. Find what you love, and it will become YOUR passion! :-)
  • lightinurlife
    Options
    I am the same way. I've tried every type of exercise there is and I hate them all. I don't get the endorphin release afterwards that makes others feel healthy and strong. I feel depleated and kinda depressed after. I've been doing yoga now almost every day and then 3 days a week I do an extended power session. I know this isn't best type of exercise but I at least enjoy it.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    find what you love. then it's no longer excercise but having fun. for an example I love jogging. but I hate treadmills. I go outside to do it. treadmills just isn't my thing. also Zumba. I suck at it but I have fun. so I do it.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    You can do things besides 'organized' exercise to get a workout. Do you like to dance? Find a dance class. Have you ever tried Tae Kwon Do? Jump rope? Great calorie burner and you can do it anywhere. You don't have to go to a gym to get a great workout. Find something fun and active that you like and will keep you coming back.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    I LOVE exercise with a passion. find your groove, sometimes it can feel like a task because like cleaning your house, you know it is the best thing to do even though you may not want to do it. I love going to classes because I enjoy the atmosphere of the music and being around other people. I like turbofire and Jillian Michale dvds when I am at home and don't feel like going out. I love the park on nice days so I can go for a walk. take a buddy with you, get some good music and just try changing your mindset. also make sure you are not doing too much too fast, I would hate working out at first if I exhausted myself too quickly, hope that helps.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I agree.. find what you love.. Even if its throwing on music and dancing around the house, it's exercise.

I personally do treadmill/weights... but thats just me. I like getting stronger and thinner at the same time.. :)
  • elissascotland
    elissascotland Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I felt the same way about spinning as graysmom2005, for quite sometime. I was addicted, and it became the highlight of my day! I did at least four classes a week, and five others. And then life took over for a while, and I discovered that I no longer looked forward to spinning. In fact, I dreaded it. :(

I recently tried zumba for the first time. I wear a heart rate monitor and discovered that I burn more calories trying to dance and move about in zumba, than I did in spinning :)

Mix it up, try lots of different classes, and let us know how you get on.
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Check out dance studios and/ or Martial Arts classes in your area.
    For me, I knew that I would never be able to stick with a workout that involved sets of repetitive movements. ie weights, treadmill, etc.
    So, I gave Martial Arts a try. And, loved it! There are still repetitive exercises but being part of a class and working to be able to put a series of body movements together clicked with me. Now I am at the gym 6 days a week!
    There are lots of different ways to exercise that are a lot of fun. Yoga, dancing, cycling, martial arts, boxing (contact or no contact), running, I have even seen skipping classes (checked one out and it is more difficult than I expected) and, at the studio where I take Capoeira there are even pole dancing lessons available.
    So, my advice, for what it's worth, is to look around to find something that interests you and give it a try.

And have fun!
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    As so many others have said, you have to find something that you love. I consider myself a runner, but recently branched out into triathlons....and I love it!! I'm always looking for a new challenge.
  • rajivdubey
    rajivdubey Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    @kelseymarston-I guess one has to develop interest and it does not come easy! When I was 20 I hated it too! At 41, I love exercising and do it everyday. Its just a matter of perspective and what you want to do with your body! Passion follows!
  • stardozer
    Options
    me me me!!! I HATE it with a passion but if I want to loose weight then I geuss I'll excersize.
  • ashlielinn
    Options
    Some days I do! haha

I definitely cursed myself my entire way to the gym last night...until I got there and had the best work out I've ever had! Getting there is the most difficult part!

(But I'm crazy and workout every day...so maybe that has something to do with it haha)
  • donbet69
    donbet69 Posts: 133
    Options
    How about loving passion as an exercise?????
  • melanie_J
    melanie_J Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I used to hate exercise, then I just came to a low point in my life where I layed in bed stricken by my depression 5 out of 7 days of the week. When I went to the doc she changed my medicine a couple of times, then we finally found one that worked. And at that point I really felt that I could change my life. First I signed up for a college course in medical billing and coding, then I started walking when I'd get down so that I wouldn't get stuck in that bed. I sometimes dread getting started, but I know how great I feel afterwards, like I've really accomplished something, even if it's just a 3 mile walk.

Then that got kinda repetitive and I started slacking off, so I started c25k this week and I LOVE it! so much less boring than walking. Like everyone else says, find something you love!!
  • melanie_J
    melanie_J Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    How about loving passion as an exercise?????

!! lol I love this!!
  • dixedreg
    dixedreg Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Yup, me too. I hate it. HHAAAATTTEEE it. It's been 10 months of working out and I still hate it. Although, I hate it just slightly less now than when I first started. But guess what? Gonna keep doing it! Have to. Hate the old me more than I hate working out!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I did until I found something that I loved. That's the key. People who go to the gym and hop on the elliptical every night blow my mind as I personally would be bored out of my mind. I found spinning.

I agree with this. I've done exercises that ever single minute was torture and I've done those that I enjoyed. My current love is Zumba. Life is too short for torture. Find something you enjoy. It doesn't have to be in a gym. Hike, bike, swim, take a class, dance (either go out dancing or just crank up some music at home), try some DVD workouts, take up a sport (tennis, raquetball, softball, etc.). As long as you are moving, it's all good.
  • itontae
    itontae Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Me too.

I smile when I am advised to find something I like.

I've been around for a long time. Believe me I've tried them all.

I have maintained months and years of strenuous exercise several days a week at various points in my life. (including swimming, cycling, running, walking) .

I have never ever experienced any kind of endorphin "high" .
  • mleoni092708
    mleoni092708 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Yes, but not anymore. Well, I still hate certain things-push ups can eat sh%t and die as far as I'm concerned.

Try zumba-it's very fun. Get the dvds so you can do them at home and not feel self concious learning the moves. I'm super uncoordinated and even I can do it. The new set is called Exhilarate and it makes exercise fly by and you get a good burn.

But keep at it-the good feeling you get after a good burn will become addicting.
  • caroline1685
    caroline1685 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    im with you on this on, i feel its so much effort. i must admit i do it but dont enjoy it. i do very light exercises doctors orders due to my poor health. i feel great after i done the exercise though. x