question about serving size

Options
On a bag of pasta is the serving before or after cooking it?

Thanks!

Replies

• becky444
    becky444 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    On a bag of pasta is the serving before or after cooking it?

Thanks!
  • simonzmama
    Options
    I think its after it is cooked...
  • FletcherChic
    Options
    usually it will specify where it says "serving size"....the pasta i have says the serving size and then "dry" or "cooked"
  • BrandNewLaura
    BrandNewLaura Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    If it doesn't specify, the serving is UNCOOKED. Someone on here told me that food manufacturers are required to list nutrition information based on the product AS PACKAGED, so therefore, 1/4 cup serving of rice would be 1/4 cup of dry rice (which will yield about 3/4 cup cooked). Pasta works the same way. And there are a lot of online conversions that will tell you what a dry serving size of pasta comes on to based on the type of noodle that it is. In a lot of cases 2 oz dry pasta yields 1 cup of cooked pasta. Hope this helps!
  • Ezzie
    Ezzie Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Serving size is a VERY slippery subject that may cause you major headaches...you really have to watch the labels.

There is at least one pasta that has serving size listed as 2 oz (uncooked) on the nutrition label..16oz package ( should equal 8 servings per box right?)..then when you go to follow the cooking directions the number of PORTIONS is 6....hmmmm, fuzzy math there.

Just looked at another box, 12 oz pasta, 1cup dry is the serving size, 6servings per box. HOWEVER, when you follow the directions for the spaghetti on the box it makes 4-6 servings with the sauce....:angry:

So maybe see if you can find a source of information that deals with either dry weight/or cups. I'm sure ther's one out there.....
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,962 Member
    Options
    My suggestion is buy a good $30 food scale, and be sure to read labels carefully both before buying and before preparing food.
  • becky444
    becky444 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    This only has 1 serving size.