Your favorite vegetarian dish for a dinner party?

Options
I have invited a few people for a dinner party on Saturday. Several are vegetarians, so I'm looking for suggestions. What is your favorite vegetarian dish? What would you serve at a vegetarian dinner party?

Replies

• cassiejoyy
    Options
    taco bar! You could have meat for people who eat it, and you can have like beans, and tofu for people who don't want to eat meat.

I'm a vegetarian(:
  • monroe61
    monroe61 Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I like the taco bar idea :) I also make a red and white tortellini dish it so yummy and I use cheese tort but you could use ones with meat in it for another dish! I am vegetarian also!!
  • PeaceLuvVeggies
    PeaceLuvVeggies Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Potato Salad!! Meatless Baked Ziti. Yumm <3
  • JennyAnnLanders
    JennyAnnLanders Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I like the tortillini idea. Or spaghetti without meat in it, for everyone. A lot of times no meat in spaghetti is not even missed!
  • tiggersstar
    tiggersstar Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    as its now winter, how about a nice filling veggie chillie with rice and wedges! ........now i want to go home from work and eat that! :smile:
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    Options
    EGGPLANT SOUFFLE.

If cheese and eggs are ok then I like this,and I'm actually doing this recipe tomorrow night with lamb.

INGREDIENTS FOR EGGPLANT
    2 fairly large eggplant
    olive oil for brushing eggplant surfaces
    Sea salt and pepper
    3 large eggs
    1/4 cup of milk or cream
    4 oz of chevre (goat cheese) crumbled.
    1 tbsp of fresh oregano...mixed into the goat cheese.

METHOD FOR EGGPLANT
    Heat oven to 400. Slice 1 eggplant lengthwise 1/4" and brush with olive oil and cook in the oven until soft. Turn oven down to 375. Cut the other eggplant in half lengthwise and brush cut side with olive oil and cook on a sheet pan in the oven until very soft, about 35 minutes. Scrape the flesh from the eggplant halves into a bowl, let cool as bit. Add the eggs and milk and season with salt and pepper. Line 4 to 6 ramekins or muffin tins, which is what I did, with the eggplant slices leaving so they overhang a little. Spoon in some eggplant mixture (half way up) add the goat cheese and add more eggplant mixture.....fold the eggplant slices over to cover. Set on a baking sheet and cook for 20 minutes, and then let it rest for 10 minutes.

PRESENTATION
    Turn out the eggplant souffles and invert them.

AS WELL: When mixing in the egg and milk you might not need it all, you don't want the mixture to be too soupy, but rather thickish.
  • amflautist
    amflautist Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Neanderthin: Thank you for the eggplant souffle recipe. It sounds divine!
    Tiggersstar: Veggie chili - now why didn't I think of that? I love it!!!
    Maylandia: Can't wait to finish work so I can spend some time at smittenkitchen. Thank you!
  • MrsODriscoll
    MrsODriscoll Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    This is what I make for my (non-veggie) family every Xmas!

Get a sheet of premade puff pastry and roll it out. Score around 1.5inches from the edged and bake in the oven. Remove the 'lid'.

Meanwhile fry onion, garlic and chilli in a little oil then add a drained jar of red peppers, some olives and capers, a small tin of tomatoes and a tbsp of red wine vinegar. Put this filling inside the pastry case, put the lid back on and pop back in the oven to reheat if needs be. Enjoy!
  • amflautist
    Options
    Update: Dinner was 100% vegetarian. I went wild with recipes from smittenkitchen.com. These two offerings brought raves from vegetarians and non-vegetarians alike:

http://smittenkitchen.com/2009/01/mushroom-bourguignon/
    For this one, I used lots of different mushrooms from a stall at the farmers market, plus a full packet of their dried mushrooms that had a strong, heavenly earthy scent even before reconstituting. (Heavenly earthy scent. Is that an oxymoron?) Also, since I couldn't find pearl onions anywhere, I cut sweet onions into wedges, roasted them in the oven to improve the sweetness and save myself time. I think the sweet onions were better than the pearl onions I used in a traditional beef bourguignon two weeks ago. Further, this recipe for mushroom bourguignon is so much faster than the traditional beef one!!

http://smittenkitchen.com/2006/10/unflinchingly-good-things/
    For this one, I upped the lime flavour by grating the skin of my lime with a microplane. Guests thought the lime exquisite.

P.S. I intend to try the eggplant souffle soon, but didn't have time on Saturday to do that one too, after spending 3 hours at the farmers market.
  • amflautist
    Options
    Eating this one for lunch today. The delicate mint flavour is delightful when not overpowered by mushroom bourguignon:
    http://smittenkitchen.com/2010/10/spicy-squash-salad-with-lentils-and-goat-cheese/

I used black lentils and LOTS of mint.