What time do you stop eating at?

Options
So I am debating on this whole eating at night issue. I agree with those that say it doenst matter when you eat - as long as you stay within your calorie limit. I just don't think my body needs food at night. I mean, after 6, im not doing anything active what so ever. And I notice that when I do eat after dinner, its usually mindless eating (and sometimes junk food). Its like im eating because im bored. So I think I am going to try to stop eating after 6 this week.
What about you guys?

Replies

• Chocolate99
    Options
    So I am debating on this whole eating at night issue. I agree with those that say it doenst matter when you eat - as long as you stay within your calorie limit. I just don't think my body needs food at night. I mean, after 6, im not doing anything active what so ever. And I notice that when I do eat after dinner, its usually mindless eating (and sometimes junk food). Its like im eating because im bored. So I think I am going to try to stop eating after 6 this week.
    What about you guys?
  • TRLTAMPA
    TRLTAMPA Posts: 824
    Options
    I stop at 7 but that's only because we don't eat supper til 6:30.
    On weekends it's closer to 6 unless I'm gonna stay up a while.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I pretty much eat as late as I need to to get my calories in. I don't mindlessly eat though. Just because you're not being active doesn't mean you don't need calories. When is your body supposed to recover? It can't repair itself while you're being active. It has to play 'catch up' at the end of the night. The key meals are breakfast and your post-workout meal, but there's really no reason to stop eating at 6pm. Just plan your meals better so you aren't left with time to snack on crud at the end of the night. :smile:
  • Thamber
    Thamber Posts: 194
    Options
    I like eating dinner late. I like it because I can relax and slow down, I don;t have anything to do afterwards except get ready for bed. Plus I cannot sleep if I am even slightly hungry. I eat anywhere from 7 pm - 10 pm depending on hunger and schedule. I usually eat a something between 4:30 and 6:30 also..a small meal.

I really think that when you eat dinner is a reflection of culture. In many parts of the world 8pm -10pm is the normal time for dinner.
  • Robin_
    Robin_ Posts: 105
    Options
    Everyone is so different, and what works for one may be disastrous for the next. I read someplace (wish I would have made note of where!), of the three hour rule, meaning that you should generally avoid eating three hours before going to bed. I am a night person (and love snacking!), so I have adopted this idea. A body typically needs food every few hours, which is why breakfast is recommended ~ your body has went extra long without food. It only makes sense!
    If you feel you are only eating out of boredom, the best advice I can offer is to find other things to do, or eat minimal calorie stuff like pickles, shredded angel hair cabbage (my personal fav), salad, veggies, etc. Good luck to everyone!
  • fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    A nutritionist once told me that the body's metabolism starts to slow down for rest about 12 hours after you wake up so if you have to eat after that - make it something light, not a full meal. For example, if you normally wake up at 7:00, try to get your dinner in before 7:00 at night.

Because I know I'm a snacker, I try to leave some calories towards the end of the evening. It satisfies my craving for food at that time and because I've planned it out, I'm less likely to head for something unhealthy. And I always have another glass or two of water with it

As a hard rule though, I don't eat anything after 9pm
  • helkat922
    helkat922 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I always try and eat dinner before 6pm and that is my last meal. :ohwell:
  • speckle
    speckle Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I eat until about 3 hours before I go to bed...which for me is about 1 or 2 am. So I usually have a snack or dessert type item around 9-11. I know thats late, but since my sleep schedule is late, I think that makes sense.
  • Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I am a night time eater. I normally save the majority of my calories for dinner and my after dinner snacks. After 9pm is when DH and I sit down and watch our favorite TV shows or a movie and I like to munch while I sit. I have TRIED stopping myself from eating after a certain time, but it just doesn't work.

So instead of fighting my body, I simply plan my calories out so that I can eat when I want. :flowerforyou:
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    I don't usually stress myself out about what time I eat.

That being said, I do try to eat my dinner between 6 and 7 and maybe have a light snack a little later. I just don't like going to bed with that "full stomach" feeling.

But, if I am out with friends or something happens and I end up eating late, it doesn't bother me.
  • mrhappy
    mrhappy Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    What about you guys?

Calories are calories whenever we get 'em, so, stop when you want, as long as you're counting your daily intake. I do eat within a half hour of waking up, and about every 3-4 hours after that with light meals -300 or 400 calories, and small snacks, 100-150 in between. I just watch the total and make sure I don't eat less than three years before hard exercising - its hard for me to do when I feel "full". Good luck!

:glasses:
  • porka29
    porka29 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I normally only have a milk or something at night, but BF has been waking up really hungry in the middle of the night, so I've told him, go to the snack shack (in the kitchen:laugh: ) and get something cause I think I often don't compensate for the fact that he needs more calories and a fruit cup and extra vegetables don't always do it.
  • nicolemac
    nicolemac Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    This is my biggest problem....nightime eating. Although I've been really making the effort to not eat after 7 or so, I am finding myself waking up in the middle of the night.....HUNGRY!! So far, Im making it, barely, but Im hoping my body will just adjust. Tonight I am chewing gum, and drinking water.:bigsmile:
  • Coach2010
    Coach2010 Posts: 209
    Options
    For grins, you may want to do a simple desert like yogurt with granola and fruit (strawberries, blueberries) before 7. It's very filling :tongue:

Also, I'm trying chammomile tea to mellow out. Also, I'm trying to stay clear of the kitchen, as I'm finding that one item is the cause of most of my problems...If I'm going to be honest :blushing:
  • nwfamilygal
    Options
    usually nothing after 7 in the eve. But if I'm hungry I eat popcorn 99% fat free. I pop a bag and share it with my husband. But other then that I don't eat most of the time. Very seldom do I get hungry:wink:
  • Chocolate99
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback
    I am going to try and stop eating after 7 (because I dont actually get *hungry* after that time). I go to bed around 11 most nights so it seems reasonable.
    For those of you who do evening workouts or get hungry in the evening, I would eat too :). I don't think we should ever be too hungry! I
  • eammarx
    eammarx Posts: 56
    Options
    I stop eating by 8pm.