Weight Loss During the Holidays?

Parties! Cookies! Alcohol! Oh my! :noway:

Alright folks! How about lets add our own MFP twist of advice, tips, and tricks to this? What is the best way to keep on track and lose during the holidays? :bigsmile: :wink: :drinker:

This is an article I thought would be nice to get us started:

holidayweightloss.jpg
by Leanne Ely, C.N.C

1-Burn More. You might want to consider adding a few more minutes to your cardio workout. Your body is smart and will step your metabolism up as a thank you, helping you become more efficient using calories.

2-Eat Less. No, I'm not talking radical diets here. Just being mindful to the fact that there will be more food everywhere I go and chances are, I will be trying some of it. Taking a little less food at mealtimes will help me out in the long run.

3-Just One. Let's face it: saying no to all the goodies out there is next to impossible. So I am giving myself permission to say yes to ONE (a small one, too). That doesn't mean one of each if there is a gi-normous spread in front of me! It means carefully choosing which goodie I am going to indulge in and then going for it, guilt-free.

4-Drink up. With water that is! When so much holiday cheer comes in a drinkable form, body clutter can creep on even if your eating habits haven't changed. Keeping in mind that almost everything that goes in your mouth counts, drinking lots of water instead of hot cocoa, spiced cider and mulled wine makes sense.

5-Don't Starve. That's right! A lot of people "save up" for a big holiday party, starving themselves so they can pig out at the buffet line. This is a big mistake and will undo all good intentions. Keeping your metabolism stoked (by eating several times a day) will help keep the body clutter at bay... even during holiday time!

Replies

• Dannypuck
    Dannypuck Posts: 1,067 Member
    Thanks for the awesome tips. I really appreciate it. I will try to put them all into practice.
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    awesome tips!
  • LeonaB17
    LeonaB17 Posts: 304
    Good info :) I love love love the Holidays - but I don't want them to ruin my efforts. I plan to eat whatever I want on Thanksgiving Day - Christmas Day - and New Years. But other than that I am going to try my best to stick to my guns! Last year I let the holidays get the best of me and I gained and gained and gained! I'm not letting that happen this year. I will own the holidays - and not let them own me!
  • Great info and thanks for sharing.
  • bump! I plan on losing weight for sure and will begin extra morning workouts after my marathon in 9 days!
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Good info :) I love love love the Holidays - but I don't want them to ruin my efforts. I plan to eat whatever I want on Thanksgiving Day - Christmas Day - and New Years. But other than that I am going to try my best to stick to my guns! Last year I let the holidays get the best of me and I gained and gained and gained! I'm not letting that happen this year. I will own the holidays - and not let them own me!

Good plan! :)
  • moonblu
    moonblu Posts: 19 Member
    thanks for the tips....as a "cookie exchange lover" this holiday will be difficult...I have decided to just say no....and do holiday crafts instead......so we will see:ohwell:
  • trishlambert
    trishlambert Posts: 213 Member
    Great article. Very practical and realistic. Thanks for sharing!!
  • loverstreet
    loverstreet Posts: 227 Member
    I think what is most difficult is not knowing how many calories you are eating. It's hard log stuff when you don't know how many calories are in that cookie, stuffing, appetizer, etc. So, even if you say YES to eating one of something, was that 50 calories, 250 calories, 1000 calories???? This is what makes me crazy.

On Thanksgiving morning, I am running a 5k. Not in my wildest dreams would I have ever considered doing this before MFP. Now, I'll burn a bunch of calories and will help me with my Thanksgiving festivities. Get some exercise in if you can!

Thanks for sharing!!!
  • mrnls
    mrnls Posts: 92 Member
    Great tips thanks for sharing. I will do good on Thanksgiving as we don't eat a traditional dinner - he hates turkey. Christmas is mostly snacks and cocktails - so I will have to workout a lot more that week. I think the 5K on Thanksgiving (or really just a run) the morning of any of the holidays is a great idea.