Do you buy new clothes as you're losing?

Options
I'm almost to 25 lbs lost and my clothes, pants especially, are literally falling off me. I want to lose more so I don't want to buy a lot of new clothes as I'll hopefully be out of them soon...but I look and feel terrible right now. Any suggestions?

Replies

• jenniferlynn12
    Options
    I meant feel terrible in my clothes... i feel great in my body... :)
  • SarabellPlus3
    SarabellPlus3 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same place... I'm not sure how much I want to lose yet, so I'm having a hard time deciding! In the meantime, I've bought just a few basics. Like I ALWAYS want a pair of jeans that look great, so I keep up with sizes on that. Otherwise, I can wear a pair that's too loose with a belt, and just make do. I don't find I'm as picky about tops, I can wear a loose-fitting medium that used to be a snug-fitting medium, etc.
    I am a mom, with no specific rules regarding dressing other than comfort, so I usually wear nice jeans, and fitted tops-- it's probably more difficult when dressing for work. I think I'd do the same, though, maybe buy a few cheap basics in the 'in between' sizes, but make do for the most part until you're where you want to be. I also can sew a little bit, so I have been known to take things in a bit as needed, if that's an option for you it works well.

And also, great job so far!!
  • katcod1522
    katcod1522 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Ive been shouting out to my friends and relatives for clothes! It helps!
  • Huskeryogi
    Huskeryogi Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I took a ton of stuff to my tailor around 20 lbs lost. I have bought a few new pieces this fall to supplement., but I won't go for a lot of new clothes until I hit a steady weight and stay there for a few months.
  • Ephena
    Ephena Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Thrift stores and clearance sales, it's all that's keeping from running around naked right now (and trust me nobody wants to see that!).

I'm buying just enough to get by, though needless to say it means I have to laundry more often so I have clean pants, and am saving up for a shopping spree at the end of all this.
  • Maryfullofgrace
    Maryfullofgrace Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I'm shopping the clearance racks for jeans, tee shirts... got some nice jeans for 10 bucks and 3 tee shirts for 5 bucks a piece. that should do for a bit for casuals...

I bought some skirts that should "hang around" for another 15 pounds... they have belt loops!!! I can wear them to work and church. Drawstrings on workout clothes are a MUST! they'll snug up like a bag of taters!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I'm almost to 25 lbs lost and my clothes, pants especially, are literally falling off me. I want to lose more so I don't want to buy a lot of new clothes as I'll hopefully be out of them soon...but I look and feel terrible right now. Any suggestions?

Buy a sewing machine and take them in. When you are at goal, treat yourself to a shopping spree.
  • wyldweazel
    wyldweazel Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I am in a similar situation too.

I just went to my local Salvation army. I bought 6 work shirts and 2 pairs of jeans for $26. I felt like a million bucks having "skinny cloths", and the moral boost I got was well worth the money. For the first time in my life, I understand why people like to shop for clothing.

I haven't retired my "fat clothes" yet. Where I work, I can trash clothes pretty fast. I am trying to make my new cloths last... at least until my next shopping spree. :)

Jen, keep up the good work!
  • leomentlines
    leomentlines Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    sales! old navy right now has 30% off of everything including clearance - i look for deals like this, and pick up some items. I also grab a piece or two in a smaller size, just so that I have something to wear once my clothes get loose again :)
  • monroe61
    monroe61 Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I would ask friend/family for their clothes if you can fit...or go to a thrift store sometimes you can find pretty good deals!

Congrats on needing a smaller size too :)
  • JustJessie
    JustJessie Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Definitely do something for your clothes. See how much it would cost for them to be tailored. I have never done this but could be a lot cheaper then buying new stuff. Buy some basics that fit great either on clearance, from a discount store, or just splurge on at least 1 great pair of jeans.

Losing 25 pds is a great accomplishment. When I lost about that much I had the same problem with my clothes. I started to feel ugly in my old clothes and depressed which demotivated me on some days and set me back a little. The confidence you will feel in some great fitting basics like 1 pair of jeans, 1 pair of black pants, some cheap t-shirts from Target or Walmart and a light jacket that you can mix-and-match with everything will give you the positive attitude to keep reaching for your goal!!

Feel great about how far you have come! It doesn't mean you have to break the bank. I say get rid of some of the old clothes that don't fit anymore. Make room in your closet for those new clothes you will buy when you reach your goal. It will give you more reason not to fall off the wagon. I did for a bit and I realized that I either needed to go out and buy new bigger clothes or start working out and eating healthy again.

Be proud of what you have accomplished. Show it off and feel great so that way you get a taste of how much better you will feel when you get to your goal.
  • woou
    woou Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Poor student. As long as I can hold up my clothes with a belt or there's a really good sale, no new clothes for me.
  • jenniferlynn12
    Options
    Thanks for all the great ideas everyone... I think you are right--I feel frumpy some days which is not a great motivator to keep going. I'd like to lose 5 more by Thanksgiving and then I think I'll buy a few new things (either used or new)-- we're having a big renunion with lots of family and I'd like to look nice. :)
  • nmerley
    nmerley Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    i went to a second hand store and bought just a few items as I want to lose more and dont want alot of money wrapped up in stuff I dont plan to wear long. I hear ya on feelin horrible in clothes that dont fit. I went from sz18 to a sz11. No wonder my clothes fell off or were horrible lookin on me. Just a few items will make u feel a ton better promise.
  • cbbarge
    cbbarge Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I will just go shopping in my closet. I'm currently a 24 but have sizes all the way down to 14 hiding in the back. If I get smaller than that I guess I'm going to have a problem.
  • neenaj33
    neenaj33 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Nope I just sport that saggy look since it seems to be the growing trend now lol jk yes after I've dropped 2 sizes tho
  • mscoco10
    mscoco10 Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I try to buy belts, also discount shopping, and i've also had my pants taken in.
  • DisneyMommy
    Options
    I have clothes in every size from 16 thru 4! I tried not to buy anything new but when you wear jeans or jean shorts most days, you have to buy smaller sizes eventually or they will fall straight off (had that happen, thankfully not in public!). I try to buy clothes on sale in general so this was no different. Also I live near an outlet mall that has a Levi's outlet. Sometimes they have jeans marked below 50% off which is a pretty good deal.

I highly recommend getting at least a few things that fit you better. It will make you feel so much better! I find now when I wear something baggy that I feel frumpy when in the past I LIVED in baggy clothes. Makes a big difference in your whole attitude.
  • jltother
    jltother Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I tried the belt thing for a while but I was getting to the point where I had so much bunched up, up under my belt that it was ridiculous. I've dropped from a 44" down to 36" as I figured out the other day. I was able to get a few hand me downs from my Dad that I gave him when I grew out of them. I also have a mother in law that just loves buying and giving clothes. She is stocking up for Christmas and we had to tell her three different sizes now. I hope she kept the receipts! The 38s I bought a month ago are getting big on me but I figure they will fit better than the 44s did when I needed to be in a 38. So buy for cheap what you can and they will fit better than what you have now when you get done.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    im buying cheap Target clothes until i hit my goal.