Sushi?

Options
2»

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with eating rice when eating sushi, since technically "sushi" is the rice, and not the fish. Mixing protein and rice together negates any blood sugar spikes the rice on its own may give. So don't worry about it, just enjoy it. And brown rice is not actually healthier.

brown rice is not healthier than white? got a link to that info? everything i have ever read says the exact opposite.

Comparison of the nutritional value between brown rice and white rice

Callegaro Mda D, Tirapegui J. Arq Gastroenterol. 1996 Oct-Dec;33(4):225-31.

Cereals are considered an important source of nutrients both in human and animal nourishment. In this paper nutritional value of brown rice is compared to that of white rice in relation to nutrients. Results show that despite higher nutrients contents of brown rice compared to white rice, experimental data does not provide evidence that the brown rice diet is better than the diet based on white rice. Possible antinutritional factors present in brown rice have adverse effects on bioavailability of this cereal nutrients.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9302338

Effects of brown rice on apparent digestibility and balance of nutrients in young men on low protein diets

J Nutr Sci Vitaminol (Tokyo). 1987 Jun;33(3):207-18. .Miyoshi H, Okuda T, Okuda K, Koishi H.

The effect of brown rice with low protein intake was studied in five healthy young men. Feces were weighed, the digestibility of nutrients was determined, and blood tests were made. Each subject followed a diet consisting mainly of polished rice for 14 days and one consisting mainly of brown rice for 8 days. Both diets contained 0.5 g protein per kg of body weight. The brown rice diet had 3 times as much dietary fiber as the polished rice diet. On the brown rice diet, fecal weight increased, and apparent digestibility of energy, protein, and fat decreased, as did the absorption rates of Na, K, and P. The nitrogen balance was negative on both diets, but more negative on the brown rice diet. The phosphorus balance on the brown rice diet was significantly negative, but other minerals were not affected by the diet. The levels of cholesterol and minerals in the plasma were not significantly different on the polished rice diet and the brown rice diet. Comparing these results with data on standard protein intake (Miyoshi, H. et al (1986) J. Nutr. Sci. Vitaminol., 32, 581-589.), we concluded that brown rice reduced protein digestibility and nitrogen balance.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2822877
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    thanks for the study. interesting indeed. on a side not i would hate to have a job where i have to measure feces.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I'd rather measure it, than...

job-sucks.jpg
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,011 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with eating rice when eating sushi, since technically "sushi" is the rice, and not the fish. Mixing protein and rice together negates any blood sugar spikes the rice on its own may give. So don't worry about it, just enjoy it. And brown rice is not actually healthier.
    Fish is pretty insulinogenic and I would suspect insulin would increase more so with the addition of fish. Much like whey is very insulinogenic where carbs aren't needed for maximum protein sythesis because of the effect why has on insulin. imo
  • taurie
    taurie Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Just be a picky eater. Only eat your favourite bits. You'll probably be full before you reach 900 calories.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    Toro sounds so good right about now.
  • KokomoJoe
    Options
    I love sushi and especially tempura. I tried making the clean eating tempura it was a sad selection compared to the real deal. Have fun, eat your sushi and worry about it all tomorrow. Prepare for the 2 lbs gain due to the sodium and it will be gone by Monday. Have your good times otherwise it all seems like work.