Any salad suggestions?

Options
I'm trying to find different ways to spruce up a salad? I'm a sucker for the whole lettuce, cucumbers and shredded carrots, but it gets kind of old when I continuously make the same kind of salad over and over.

How do you guys make a interesting, yet healthy salad?

Replies

• TakuraHunt
    Options
    I use 50/50 mix, cucumbers, tomato, avocado, sometimes a little feta, usually chicken breast or tuna, and every now and then a boiled egg...
  • horror_hamster
    Options
    i'm allergic to leafy greens, so i can't have lettuce, so i make up for it buy using chick peas (they're always delicious!) maybe try adding corn or peppers, i always love the added flavor and crunch of those. Also, raw broccoli is a staple in mine, it adds a whoooole new dimension.
  • Becky1971
    Becky1971 Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Me too, I try and have a salad every day that consists of 2 cups of romaine, and other things added to it, but it got old, and now for a week I have skipped. Needing something different.
  • mkatelyn4260
    Options
    TUNA TUNA TUNA! It tasted SOOO good on salad!!
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Baby spinach, honey roasted almonds, sliced strawberries (or mandarin oranges), chicken breast, and raspberry vinagrette. Nom.
  • mkatelyn4260
    Options
    I would like to start eating salad again..I have severe acid reflux..and the lettuce and cucumbers give me indegestion =(any suggestions?
  • mkatelyn4260
    Options
    that sounds SO good.
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options

Especially one of those Sweet and Spicy tuna pounches, then you don't need dressing either!

Oh, and wonton strips, bleu cheese, or tortilla strips. I like the have a little crunch.
  • sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Here is my salad I have just about everyday at lunch and LOVE it!

50/50 Spring/baby spinach mix- 2 cups
    6 baby carrots (cut in half)
    1 string cheese (cut in chuncks and shredded)
    4 oz chicken breast
    8-10 medium strawberries (cut up)
    fat free Raspberry vinagrette dressing 2 tbl spoons
  • aochoa123
    aochoa123 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I eat a salad most days for lunch. I have lettuce, cucumber, tomato, green peppers, hard boiled egg chopped and McCormick salad toppers(it has nuts and such for only 35 cals a serving). It's really good. I don't usually put any cheese and go lite on dressing.
  • kelpaint
    kelpaint Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I buy the broccoli slaw (julienned cuts of broccoli and cabbage) and add that to my greens. Also chick peas, pecans, and cranberries are great too - make sure you measure though.
  • Fitconfidence
    Options
    I use 50/50 mix, cucumbers, tomato, avocado, sometimes a little feta, usually chicken breast or tuna, and every now and then a boiled egg...

I'm going to have to try that.
  • rebeccask
    Options
    peanuts! sometimes i add garbanzo beans and sometimes i add cottage cheese as a dressing.
  • Fitconfidence
    Options

4 oz chicken breast

That sounds DELICIOUS! I'm definitely going to have to try this one.
  • Fitconfidence
    Options

Unfortunately, I'm not a fan of tuna, but maybe chicken breast instead????
  • monroe61
    monroe61 Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I put sunflower seeds in mine! Croutons too...save-a-lot has a cheese/garlic flavored one you get 12 for 30 cals :)
    I don't like it but I know some who put cottage cheese on theirs instead of dressing.

I also make a strawberry/kiwi salad in the summer for potlucks it's yummy too.
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options

4 oz chicken breast

I'd like to give you a prize for the string cheese... I LOVE cheese on my salad, but have issues with the portion control for it. This is BRILLIANT!
  • Emily_Katherine
    Options
    -Change up the greens - spinach or spring mix?
    -radishes, peppers (different colours!), celery, snap peas, alfalfa sprouts, green onion, red onion, mushrooms
    -Tomato if I'm eating the salad right away... otherwise I find it makes everything soggy
    -Fruit - apples (sliced and soaked in water w/lemon to prevent browning), berries, or craisins maybe?
    -I am in love with sliced boiled egg on my salad... makes it extra filling, too :)
  • tmichel7
    tmichel7 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I love my fruit salads and it mixes things up, here is a good one.

1 1/2 cups spinach (or any leafy green)
    1 apple cut into squares (strawberries and raspberries are good too)
    1/4 cup almonds or walnuts
    1 serving of feta ( usually 1/4 cup but you can add as little as youd like)
    1 tbs of strawberry poppyseed Vinaigrette dressing (or a balsamic would work too)
    Add chicken if you prefer.

Yum...:smile:
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    I make fruit salad and add it to my salads. Chicken salad is also good. I like to throw in nuts, dried cranberries, cottage cheese. I use spinach instead of lettuce.