Bye Bye Cellulite! Hellloooooo Body Brushing!!!

Options
Let me start off by saying every person has cellulite. It's really noticeable in some, and in others not at all. Now that I got that little fun fact out of the way, I want to share that I've tried this body brushing for only a week, and on one of my legs the cellulite is completely gone. As with any success, results for everyone are different. Now can I say that the absence of cellulite was because of body brushing and not the exercise I'm doing? Of course not but I believe even without cellulite loss from body brushing I've had many skin/mood improvements. Thanks for reading!:smile:

For those of you who like the shortened versions:
Body brushing is the act of using a medium-stiff shower brush and brushing your body in long, one-way strokes starting from your feet up toward your heart. You work on sections of your body at a time, and not all at once. You do this BEFORE you take a shower for about 5-10 min total so that you can wash all the dead skin cells off in the shower. This improves circulation (the reddening of your skin will be a hint that you are doing it right) and moves toxins that are in your fat cells out of the cells and into your lymph system, which then gets rid of them. I was very tired after the first time I did this, and I suspect it was because of the toxins that were released. It also tightens your skin and makes it more smooth.

Now the long, detailed version:
Body brushing is one of the most economical and efficient ways to bring out the best of your skin. It also brings out the best of your hard working skin care products. Body brushing is good for everyone, including those with sensitive skin. Even babies can enjoy body brushing, with specially made fine brushes for their gentle skin.

Dry brushing will boost circulation; it pushes the body’s ability to eliminate toxins through the lympathac system. This elimination process helps break down fatty pockets, responsible for cellulite.

BUYING A DRY BRUSH

By a body brush that is firm. Be sure it is not scratchy or too uncomfortable. Choosing a dry brushing product is a personal choice. Some of the types of body brushing products available are loofahs, sisal mitts, long handled brushes, and hand held bristle brushes. Available dry brushing products Use a loofah, sisal mitt, or long handled brush. Choose one that you feel most comfortable using or holding.

HOW TO USE A BODY BRUSH

Make upward, sweeping movements, starting at your feet. Work up to your legs, thighs, buttocks, stomach. Go gentle on the thighs and stomach area. Brushing too hard on your thighs may break tiny blood vessels and create broken veins or capillaries.

Then move onto your breasts, shoulders, and arms. Remember to work towards the heart. Concentrate on your elbows, and use gentle strokes on your breasts. Choose a long handle body brush for your back. Your back is one of the most neglected areas on our body. Your back needs skin care products just like the rest of your body.

If you have sensitive skin, wet the mitt and use it in the bath or shower with a natural soap or soap free cleanser. The water reduces the friction of the body brush so it will minimize any damage.

WHEN TO BODY BRUSH

Consider body brushing on a daily basis. Those who dry brush regularly do not have a problem with cellulite. Although we know that every woman has cellulite, whether they can see it or not, those who dry brush do not have middle or higher levels or “grades” of cellulite. Those who only occasionally dry brush do not see the benefits of a reduction in cellulite or overall radiant skin tone. Fit dry brushing into your daily routine and you will see a big difference on your skin, and feel the increase energy and vitality in your body.

SKIN CARE PRODUCTS TO ENHANCE BODY BRUSHING

After dry brushing, take a bath or shower to rinse off the dead skin cells that are lying like dust on the top of your skin. Some of the “dust” on the skin is obvious of the dead skin cells brushed off, but some of the skin cells and other debris cannot be seen with the naked eye. Use a mild soap or an awakening body wash like peppermint or any other mint. It is invigorating and intoxicating.

After a shower, try a cellulite body cream or oil. This is when the cellulite product works best. Since the skin is already invigorated after the body brush, your skin is working in overdrive right now. The blood is circulating and your dead skin cells have been brushed off. Any skin care product applied after a dry brushing regime will increase the potential benefits of your skin care product.

For dry brushing on a baby’s skin, try a baby hairbrush used only for the baby’s body. This way you control the spread of germs. A baby’s hairbrush is made of fine bristles, gentle enough for them, and it works very well on their bodies. You may get a few giggles from your baby doing a dry brush so they will have even more benefits!

Resource:
http://www.dailyskincare.net/skin-care/body-brushing-for-optimum-skin-care/49/

Replies

• kandyjo
    kandyjo Posts: 4,648 Member
    Options
    Ok.... I started reading and was like...REALLY... but then there were so many words that I just stopped...

But really! I'm "bumping" this because I'm interested and will come back and read more later.....

Cool!!!! I have always thought when people sale creams and such for this and it is so entailed with how to RUB IT IN, that it is really the 'rubbing' and circulation that is doing the "miracle" and not so much the cream.... Just like the "diet pills" that say it must be accompainied with diet and exercise... DUh!!!!!!!!!!!! :laugh:
    Anyway... awesome... I'm going to look in to this body brushing.... My cellulite isn't really that bad, but I do see a little on my upper thighs that I'm not digging.
  • 007DIVA
    Options
    My esthetician suggested dry brushing to me last year. It's great for cellulite, ingrown hairs, and just general exfoliating. I noticed a difference when I started doing it last year and I haven't stopped.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
    Options
    I actually used to do this and somehow had totally forgot about it. Thanks for the reminder, I will be picking up a new brush on the way home. I like the long handle ones that the brush comes off of, it's nice and versatile.
  • BeautifulScarsWECHANGED
    Options
    bump
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options
    i has lumps and bumps. and simply because you didn't say "eat 200 calories a day and put pregnant lady wee under your tongue" or "take pills loaded with dangerous chemicals" etc... i'll be doin this. kthanks.
  • Edestiny7
    Edestiny7 Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    One proposed treatment for cellulite is to use a dry body brush. The idea is to scrub the thighs and buttocks vigorously with the brush to promote nutrients and remove toxins from the skin. Even if the treatment could achieve that goal, the underlying problem is that cellulite is not caused by a buildup of toxins. It's also not the product of a lack of nutrients.

What dry brushing may do is promote the tissue to swell, which could hide the uneven dimpling effect of cellulite. While the underlying cause of cellulite remains unaffected, the temporary swelling may help the brusher achieve the appearance of smooth skin -- at least for a short time, anyway.

http://health.howstuffworks.com/skin-care/problems/beauty/body-brush-cellulite.htm
  • lizzybethclaire
    lizzybethclaire Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    *bump*
  • Happy0326
    Happy0326 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing!!!! I'm on my way to get a body brush NOW!!! LOL
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,566 Member
    Options
    One proposed treatment for cellulite is to use a dry body brush. The idea is to scrub the thighs and buttocks vigorously with the brush to promote nutrients and remove toxins from the skin. Even if the treatment could achieve that goal, the underlying problem is that cellulite is not caused by a buildup of toxins. It's also not the product of a lack of nutrients.

What dry brushing may do is promote the tissue to swell, which could hide the uneven dimpling effect of cellulite. While the underlying cause of cellulite remains unaffected, the temporary swelling may help the brusher achieve the appearance of smooth skin -- at least for a short time, anyway.

http://health.howstuffworks.com/skin-care/problems/beauty/body-brush-cellulite.htm
    This is true. You CANNOT rid yourself of cellulite (it's a cell in the body), but you can lessen the appearance of it.
  • FoodMage
    Options
    Bump for a reminder
  • starracer23
    starracer23 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I will definitely be trying this as well...thanks for posting! :D

I just did quite a bit of research on it...it's not permanent ladies. It has to be done daily or every other day. Basically the brushing helps to plump the skin around the cellulite to even out the texture (so to speak) so if it's shorts/bikini weather then you will most likely really want to do it and often. If it's winter and no one will see your legs, it's not necessary.

I will be buying a brush tonight!

**Oh and don't forget to moisturize :D
  • jessbennett1986
    Options

I've tried to open your resource webpage several times with no sucess? Maybe it's my web browser. Anyhow, I must agree with you that cellulite is NOT caused by a buildup of toxins. If anyone wanted to google cellulite they could find out that cellulite is a buildup of fatty pockets within the connective tissue. But toxins are in ALL cells of the body. The lymphatic system works to get rid of toxins in the body, and by body brushing, you are "pushing" your body to increase the circulation which in turn could increase the release of toxins by the cells and release them into the lymphatic system. I do not however agree that the appearance of cellulite is gone because the tissue around it was swollen. Of course the tissue will swell when you are brushing because you are increasing the circulation to that area, but later on in the day it is not still swollen. I've taken a tape measurer to that area and have not seen an increase in any amount due to body brushing. I do not want to mislead anyone so please do your research everyone! I'm sure with any claim there are a million sites that will disagree/agree so try it yourself and decide what you think!:smile:
  • airycha
    airycha Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I am going to have to read this later!
  • Banks01
    Banks01 Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    *bump*

They're saying the brush is good for that
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    BUMPPP
  • starracer23
    starracer23 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    *bump*

They're saying the brush is good for that

Well played, sir. Well played!
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • keiraev
    keiraev Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    Hmmm may have to dig out that body brush I've had for years and never used!
  • Tujitsu56
    Tujitsu56 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    First time I had to use the bump, but jeez this is a long read. Very interesting though, so BUMP:)
  • JustQue
    JustQue Posts: 157
    Options
    I've done this for years thanks to ttapp. I've always gotten compliments on my skin and I think it's because of brushing. I've posted several times that it's really affective for dry skin. I've also found it helps with elasticity of the breast. Q