Machines at the gym

This is going to sound completely uneducated but I just joined the gym last week. I had a free session with a personal trainer and he showed me exercises with dumbbells and the bar(not sure what it is called) with weights on the end. Okay so now that I sound like a complete idiot, lol.

My gym is split in half with the machines on one side and the free wights and the machines that you put the free weights on, on the other side. What machines are better to use? I see the super muscular people using the free weight side and even some really fit looking women on that side too. I'm only looking to lose about 20 lbs but I am very fat, lol. I have a high bf% (30%) from calorie restricitng and no strength training so the personal trainer recommended I focus on strength training and do minimal cardio.

Can anyone give me pointers on what machines are best and just some good tips for women trying to lift weight and lose body fat?

Replies

• ScarletFyre
    ScarletFyre Posts: 754 Member
    Personally, I think that the machines may be better for beginners (anyone else reading this correct me if you disagree). My thought is with free weights, you are much more likely to stand/sit incorrectly and could injure yourself. With the machines, most of them have a diagram and instructions, and they way the seats are, it makes it much easier to sit properly - of course you ALWAYS want to be careful and ask a trainer or employee of the gym if you are not certain how to use it.

Hope that helps!! :-)
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    First: Don't be embarassed that you don't know this stuff. We're not taught it in school so you have to learn it somewhere else, this is your time to learn. Good for you!!

Second: The bar is a barbell.

Third: I tend to prefer free weights. The movements on a machine are very restricted and therefore the exercises can often exclude certain muscle that are used as stabilizers when doing the same motion with a free weight. Free weights can obviously move in any direction so all those supporting muscles get worked as well which is a very good thing for improving strength and balance. The one draw back to free weights is that with some of the exercises, especially with a bar bell, you need to have a spotter so that when you life to fatigue, someone is there to help you complete that last rep and avoid injury.
  • Trust me it isn't stupid. Those machines are scary when you look at them! But I would ask the trainer to provide a program for you. I typically do strength training 2-3 times a week which consists of lots of different machines or free weights. But I have someone put it together for me. You can do a circuit training program which in cludes weights but has cardio as well..

For instance, 1 day i work upper body, (think push ups, bicep curls), then 1 day lower body (think squats and lunges) and 1 day full body.

Its best to speak with someone about your goals and get a program to ensure that you are also doing it right.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Free weights are best, but for absolute beginners without instruction I'd recommend machines to help prevent injury.

Your PT really should've spent that first session showing you a free tour of all of the equipment and how to use it.
    After paying to use any other rental equipment, you wouldn't expect to have to then pay to be shown how to use it, would you?
  • dannylives3
    dannylives3 Posts: 70 Member
    Don't be afraid to do squats, they're really good for you. Ask them what the Smith Machine is.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,905 Member
    This is going to sound completely uneducated but I just joined the gym last week. I had a free session with a personal trainer and he showed me exercises with dumbbells and the bar(not sure what it is called) with weights on the end. Okay so now that I sound like a complete idiot, lol.

My gym is split in half with the machines on one side and the free wights and the machines that you put the free weights on, on the other side. What machines are better to use? I see the super muscular people using the free weight side and even some really fit looking women on that side too. I'm only looking to lose about 20 lbs but I am very fat, lol. I have a high bf% (30%) from calorie restricitng and no strength training so the personal trainer recommended I focus on strength training and do minimal cardio.

Can anyone give me pointers on what machines are best and just some good tips for women trying to lift weight and lose body fat?
    As a beginner, use the machines to get a "feel" on how an exercise can be done. I usually have a client do at least one week on the machines if they are brand new.
  • alyssamiller77
    Personally, I think that the machines may be better for beginners (anyone else reading this correct me if you disagree). My thought is with free weights, you are much more likely to stand/sit incorrectly and could injure yourself. With the machines, most of them have a diagram and instructions, and they way the seats are, it makes it much easier to sit properly - of course you ALWAYS want to be careful and ask a trainer or employee of the gym if you are not certain how to use it.

Hope that helps!! :-)

I see the point your making but I look at it a little differently. Many machines allow you to cheat with your form. Some even force you into what I would consider bad form, especially if you don't fit quite perfect into the machine's movements. You are correct with free weights in order to avoid injury you have to use proper form. However, you can just as easily ask a trainer or staff about proper form on a free weight exercise as you can ask them how to use a machine. There are a lot of resources on the internet as well to get information about proper form for exercises, I would recommend that anyone considering a free-weight regimen do their research into that as well.
  • I use the machines. I'm not trained on how to do free weights, I don't know the proper way to stand and execute the skills for free weights. I always assumed the people on that side of the gym know how to use them without doing damage to their bodies. I like the machines because they have easy to understand instructions printed on them and if you follow them it's very hard to do the exercise wrong. You can also tone with out using weights by just using your own body. I like Joel Harpers fit in five videos, I just youtube them and choose which body areas I want to focus on that day.
  • hsnider29
    hsnider29 Posts: 394 Member

Second: The bar is a barbell.

Yes, of course. I remember now, lol.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    I have heard that free weights are better. I used to work out with a trainer who gave me a few programs using free weights. I probably never would have been able to figure out what to do with them on my own. So, if you have a program using them, then go for it! If you're intimidated by them (which I sometimes still am), then use the machines. I do both, depending on the day. Often I'll use the machines if I'm tired/super lazy.
  • taqefu
    taqefu Posts: 13 Member
    Free weights are way more efficient for strength training, but they are a little more difficult to use - for the same reason: While doing free weights, you workout a lot more muscles than with a machine because your body needs to stabilize the movement.

For example, when you're doing squats you don't only train your legs, it's a workout for your entire core (abs and back) and some parts of your arms as well. The leg press (machine) is a workout just for your legs. That's why the "fit" people use free weights ;-)

I would ask your trainer to show you the proper form for some basic workouts with free weights - think squats, deadlifts, bench press, crunches, push-ups... You can also look up proper form for many exercises here: http://exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html
  • hsnider29
    Unfortunatley to have a program at my gym I have to pay additional for a trainer and sign a contract for a year. Maybe I can buddy up with one of the guys on the other side so he can help me, lol. My husband goes with me some days but he is just as clueless as I am. We know how to use the machines but not the machines you manually add the weights.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    I had a similar query a while back, re: Squats vs Leg Press. Due to my knees not being wonderful i find i can leg press far more than i can squat. A dozen or so simply bodyweight squats and my knee is hurting, yet i can leg press 410lbs with no pain at all...
  • alyssamiller77
    I always assumed the people on that side of the gym know how to use them without doing damage to their bodies.

From what I've seen at most gyms, this is a pretty bold assumption. Many of those guys in the free weight cage are clueless as well. In fact I see some of the worst form from those folks.

If you're going to work with free weights, like I said, do your research. Look online, talk to trainers, etc. Also, start with lighter weights first. Focus on getting the form and motion correct then start to put on the challenging weights in future sessions. The biggest key is keeping your abs tight while lifting, especially doing over-head exercises as this will help support your back and prevent injury.
  • vanessaclarkgbr
    vanessaclarkgbr Posts: 731 Member
    You could try a Body Pump class or similar too - barbells etc with supervision in a class? I did one this week and definitely did more than if I hadn't had anyone with me. Good luck!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    There is a continuum of development when it comes to strength training. Contrary to what many people would have you believe, you are not legally required to stick with the exercise you chose on Day 1.

Exercises that have minimal setup, use isolated muscle groups, and guide you through the path of motion are the most basic. While not foolproof, they provide more guidance, safety, structure and thus are often recommended/preferred for beginners.

On the other end of the continuum are exercises that require a thorough knowledge of form and technique, that are made of more complex movements, and that require the user to define the path of motion.

As a beginner, it makes no difference from a training/improvement/weight loss standpoint what you do. You will improve by doing almost anything. This is not a time for ideology. So, my first recommendation is to choose exercises/modalities that you feel the most comfortable and confident doing. For most people that means starting with primarily machine exercises. That's because they are usually easier to master, safer, and more time-efficient. An important part of beginning an exercise program is positive reinforcement--feeling successful, feeling confident, feeling secure. In my experience, this is more likely to occur starting out, again, primarily using machines.

It doesn't mean that's all you can do. Depending on your knowledge or resources, you can do a mixture. Or, after a few days, weeks, whatever--when you feel more comfortable and start to develop a better sense of where your muscles are and how to use them--you can start to change things up.

Don't get locked into anyone's opinion about what is "best". There is no one answer. As I said, in the beginning you will improve pretty much the same no matter what you do.

I do this on average a dozen times a week and I have a pretty good sense of what works. At our center, every new member gets a fitness assessment, individual plan, and one-on-one orientation. My clients this month ranged from a 17 yr old lacrosse player to a 78 yr old with bilateral hip replacement. For beginners, I usually do a mixture--a core set of machines, but, depending on skill level, interest, and coordination--I try to include some functional exercises as well, like body weight squats, step ups, or exercises using our functional cable trainers (Kinesis, Free Motion, Life Fitness Dual Pulley) to work on core stability. The programs are designed so that the simpler machine exercises work to increase basic strength while they are learning body movement and muscle awareness with the more complex movements. At the beginner level, however, the "free weight" movements are more accessory exercises.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    I always assumed the people on that side of the gym know how to use them without doing damage to their bodies.

From what I've seen at most gyms, this is a pretty bold assumption. Many of those guys in the free weight cage are clueless as well. In fact I see some of the worst form from those folks.

If you're going to work with free weights, like I said, do your research. Look online, talk to trainers, etc. Also, start with lighter weights first. Focus on getting the form and motion correct then start to put on the challenging weights in future sessions. The biggest key is keeping your abs tight while lifting, especially doing over-head exercises as this will help support your back and prevent injury.

+1 The level of self-delusion in the free weight section of your average gym is off the charts.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    I lift alone and lift to failure, so I use the machines. (well, mostly one, universal machine cuz I prefer to do my strength nights in my apartment fitness center so I can have music playing w/o wearing headphones. lol)

But when I was younger and lifted with friends I preferred the free weights. To me they feel like they give a better overall workout to the body than the machines do. My strength is still improving and I feel good after my machine sets, but if I had an ultimate preference, I'd probably do free weights.

Oh yeah, and don't assume anyone at the gym knows any more or any better than you on anything, I admittedly people watch like mad while at the gym because I'm just easily distracted like that and people do some....ummm...interesting versions of working out sometimes. ;)
  • hsnider29
    Thanks Azdak,

I agree for now I think I will use the machines and some dumbbells when doing squats and lunges. I know how to use most of the machines but I think I will ask someone about a few that I am unsure of. I wish our trainer would have just shown us how to use the machines.