Is walking a waste of time?

Options

Replies

• lmiller857
    lmiller857 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    walking is definately not a waste of time I walk 3-5 times a week and my pace has slo increased from 2.0 to 2.5 slow pace. Im not at a poinwwere I can jog either but I get a workout walking. If you feel you need moer just add something like a short exercise video or at I doo I use the Wii. But your on the right track
  • valeriebpdx
    valeriebpdx Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Not at all. It might not get the burn MMA does, but it's great for your heart (and your state of mind, and coming to view yourself as an exerciser, and other things). I saw one woman in my neighborhood go from fat to thin over time, just walking every morning. It was awesome. Do what you can do, and when you get bored or are capable of more, add more. But I have run four marathons and I still enjoy a good fast walk as exercise--it doesn't make me feel pressured the way running or weightlifting do. Best of luck!
  • GretchenReine
    GretchenReine Posts: 1,427 Member
    Options
    I have been a total couch potato for years and recently decided to join this site and start execising by walking. This is my second week and I have been under the calorie goals and walking at least 5 days each week. Well my next door neighborhood, the mixed martial arts fighter comes over and says that walking is a waste of time. He says that my heart rate has got to get up into a burn zone for cardio to be effective. I have heard a little about this but I am not at a point where I can jog. So am I wasting my time walking? I average anywhere from 30 to 45 minutes at a 3.5 pace.

Walking is GREAT exercise. Tell him to piss off! 30-45 minutes at that pace is great for you. He sucks and I would personally like to smack him for telling you you're wasting your time.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    No freakin' way!! Walking is great exercise! You're moving and if nothiing else, it's a good base to start at that you can build upon. You're not real fit right now so walking however fast and far you can is fantastic. Once you get stronger, you can walk faster and farther and maybe eventually incorporate some running intervals and maybe even run completely. That's how I started out two years ago...couldn't go too fast or too far but now I can run about 3 miles at 5mph. The concern to me would be more about thinking walking slowly around the block will be enough exercise going forward. Eventually you do have to step it up and challeng your body or it will stop responding.

I would suggest that you do some strength training too - it helps burn more calories and is good for you! There's plenty you can do at home using your own body weight (squats, lunges, tricep dips, pushups, situps, etc) and eventually you can invest in some free weights to do more.

Good for you for getting off the couch!!
  • ScarletFyre
    ScarletFyre Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Any movement is not a waste of time...think of it this way: If you would have been just watching TV or something but instead you are walking you are burning more calories than you would have been otherwise. I do go to the gym, and do cardio and weights, BUT the past maybe two weeks i have lost most of the weight you see posted on my ticker- and 99%of what i did those two weeks have been walking.

if you want something just a little more intense, but still walking, there are DVD's like Leslie Sansone - her whole platform is walking. She may have you do stuff with your arms, walk faster at times etc.

But if you are simply getting up and going for a walk every day, that is NOT a waste of time! :smile:
  • BuceesNana
    BuceesNana Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Not a waste of time! I have lost 35 lbs walking. I have done some other exercise, but my primary exercise is walking. Keep it up. You will lose the weight. Work on improving your speed and your endurance. It will help. I will walk a 1/2 marathon in just a few days. It is my present to myself and my reward to myself for my hard work losing this weight. Good luck!
  • TheCats_Meow
    TheCats_Meow Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I concur with what everyone else has said.

No type of movement is a waste of time.

A waste of time would be continuing to sit on the couch.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    No. Walking is actually great base building for beginning runners. In February - March, I started out walking about 3 miles a day on my lunch breaks. Increased gradually to about 9 miles a day of walking. Then started the C25K program.
    Just ran my first 1/2 Marathon last month.

Get out there and do it. You'll be glad you did.
  • tifftaffy
    tifftaffy Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Nope, walking is a great way to start your fitness journey. Perhaps your neighbor has a chip on his shoulder...

If you are interested, check out Leslie sansone walking DVDs or VHS .... Or for free samples a few of her DVDs are on YouTube.
  • WonderNoodle
    Options
    You start with walking. Walking trumps couch sitting. You eventually extend the time/distance. You eventually quicken the pace. YOU are awesome the WHOLE TIME because all movement trumps couch sitting! :drinker: Shame on that guy for not acknowledging your effort!
  • jlyddon
    Options
    Seriously? Think about it...couch potato=no calories burned; walking=100 calories per mile. It's a no brainer! And I know you FEEL better!

Walking is a fabulous form of exercise! Remember though...once those walks become easy for you...you'll either need to pick up the pace...or walk longer...or add intervals.

Keep up the good work!
  • Cakepiebeer
    Options
    the mixed martial arts fighter comes over and says that walking is a waste of time.

Proof that dumb people really do exist
  • Strive2BLean
    Strive2BLean Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Walking is ABSOLUTELY NOT a waste of time especially if you are a former couch potato. It's the best exercise you can do to start which is what you need to do. I did strictly walking for years before I bumped it up only because I refuse to jog on pavement. So bad for joints. I finally bought a treadmill and elliptical and do maximum heart rate workouts on them but only after years of walking which served me well and I still walk too at high intensity. Hope this helps.
  • NineInchGirl
    Options
    No not at all!
  • jodie0520
    jodie0520 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Of course not! Any movement you can add to your routine is a GREAT step toward your overall health. Most people I know start with walking as a way to ease into a new lifestyle. Walking is fun, free, and an excellent way to lose weight. I'm sure your friend/neighbor was just trying to help, but each person has to choose their own best path to success.

Best of luck!!
  • rosalee87
    rosalee87 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    *bump*

I want to show this to my dad - he was walking and doing so well but one of his friends told him he was wasting his time and he got discouraged and quit. He needs to see these responses.
  • Tonnina
    Tonnina Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    If walking is a waste of time then how in the world did I lose 35lbs in 2008 by only eating 1300 and walking every other day? :-P Walking is fine, it's better than sitting around all day!!
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Walking helps me get to places I want to go. I think trying to transport myself using only the power of my mind would be a waste of time, because really, who's kidding who?
  • alimac92
    alimac92 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Walking is not a waste of time, it's a great way to exercise.
    It gives you time to yourself to think and let the stress drain away.

It's a great way to get fit.:smile:

What is a waste of time is your self-important next door neighbour. :explode:

Stick a garden fork in him and let some of that hot air out. :devil: Pop! hisssssssssssssssssssss.

Sorry, I get annoyed very easily these days, hmm perhaps I should go for a walk to cool down lol!
    Yeah I'll go down to the garden centre I can't think where I've left my garden fork :laugh:

Wishing the very best with your journey to fitness! :flowerforyou:
  • Cathleenr
    Options
    I have been a total couch potato for years and recently decided to join this site and start execising by walking. This is my second week and I have been under the calorie goals and walking at least 5 days each week. Well my next door neighborhood, the mixed martial arts fighter comes over and says that walking is a waste of time. He says that my heart rate has got to get up into a burn zone for cardio to be effective. I have heard a little about this but I am not at a point where I can jog. So am I wasting my time walking? I average anywhere from 30 to 45 minutes at a 3.5 pace.

lol@ the MMA guy. :)
    there is no "fat burning zone". if you walk an hour @3 mph and run 30 minutes @ 6 mph, the distance covered is the same (all things like stride length being equal), but you spend less time doing it at the quicker pace. the calories used to move the mass is the same. Now, your VO2 (volume of oxygen) efficiency will improve as your heart rate becomes better at circulating oxygenated air and that's where his bit o' science with the efficiency comes in.
    anyway, walking is not a waste of time, generally speaking. and you have a good beginning, but do you have a plan?
    this week was a good start, so what's on for next week? longer distance at the same rate? the point is to use more calories than you take in, not remain static.
    Add some beginning strength exercises while you walk: try 15 walking lunges (thats 15 on EACH side) and then walk at your pace for 2 minutes. Go back to the lunges. Yeah, people might look at you on the street :). But do it. and then the next week do lunges for a whole minute and then walk for 2 minutes. The next week add some hand weights.
    Make sure your nutrition is in line with your goals: 1200 random calories won't let you do what you want to do.
    good luck !