Most effective method of burning fat?

Options
What have you found is the most effective method of lowering body fat? I recently put on 10 lbs, of which I am sure is all fat (I was previously very muscular/toned) that kind of just "hangs" off my inner thighs and love handles. I already weight train (40min/day, 6/wk) and run around 50 miles a week, but I haven't really seen the kind of results I'd like-- I'm losing, but I'm still "soft". Thoughts/ suggestions?

Replies

• gashinshotan
    gashinshotan Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    RUN FASTER!
  • aimeeturner
    aimeeturner Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    HIIT
  • tigertchr23
    tigertchr23 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Have you tried HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training)? or Tabata training?

Check this out: http://www.intervaltraining.net/hiit.html
  • ktfitzgerald
    ktfitzgerald Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    HIIT with kettlebells!!!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Lift heavier with lower reps (6) and you can increase you resting metabolic rate more. This will help to burn more fat since fat is burned during rest.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    eating at a moderate deficit and doing HIIT and strength training, not regular cardio as this tends to cause some muscle loss along with fat loss.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,023 Member
    Options
    keep within your calorie limits and combine cardio with strength training
  • dnsrmr
    dnsrmr Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Maybe cut down on your carbs for a week or two, like stay around 20 carbs per day (total carbs - dietary fiber & sugar alcohol = carb count).
    Gd luck. You can do it!!! Maybe you just need to trick your body by changing your diet for a week or two.
  • dnsrmr
    dnsrmr Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    :smile:
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Lift heavier with lower reps (6) and you can increase you resting metabolic rate more. This will help to burn more fat since fat is burned during rest.

This man speaks the ^^^Truth^^^
    If you're lifting and doing 12-15 reps/set no problem, you should up the weight.
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    try the sprint interval workouts I describe in my workout blog below. try them 2 or 3 times per week (but not on consecutive days) in lieu of your other cardio.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I find running works for me. If you are going to do weights, you need to do heavy ones. I've never felt there was much point in light ones.
  • bhoochy
    bhoochy Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    HIIT 15 secs intervals as hard as you can go!!!
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to suggest that HIIT wont work as I'm sure it will help, but the first place I would look would be your weight training program.

Lifting HEAVY with calorie deficit and adequate macronutrient intake will take you a long ways, IMO.
  • SonicaBE
    SonicaBE Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    do any of you have actuall HIIT training workouts that you can share. I am at 190 and need to lose 45 by May.
    Would appreciate treadmill workouts or elliiptical

thanks and TGIF!
  • Rynatat
    Rynatat Posts: 807 Member
    Options

If you're lifting and doing 12-15 reps/set no problem, you should up the weight.

Def what both above said, but also, if you go to a gym, the Smith Machine for squats & the Arc Trainer (not the elliptical) has made HUGE changes in my body in just 2 months. I haven't lost weight according to the scale, but I've gained and/or lost inches where it counts (biceps bigger, thighs more toned, hate-handles almost gone, chest, not breast, is smaller :wink: ). For squats, I do wide squats (15rep) , cross-legged squats & lunge squats (10-12ea.) - 3 sets - with 30lbs total (not including the weight bar) then add deadlifts with extra 40lbs. On the Arc Trainer I do at least 20-25mins on level 7. Oh - and bonus to both, butt is rounder, firmer & smaller :happy:
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Avoid the mother-in-law's attempt at cooking.....
  • Ral263
    Ral263 Posts: 318 Member
    Options

Yeah, that was exactly what I was thinking....

So lets use my workout from today as an example:
    15 reps of hammer curls, 3 sets, @ 15lbs
    15 reps of shoulder presses, 3 sets, 12 lbs
    15 reps of bent-over rowns, 3 sets, 40lb bar
    15 reps wide stance squats, 40 lbs
    And then I do an ab circuit as well. What would you change the above to in terms of lifting heavy/less reps?
  • damonmath
    damonmath Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    HIIT
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

Yeah, that was exactly what I was thinking....

So lets use my workout from today as an example:
    15 reps of hammer curls, 3 sets, @ 15lbs
    15 reps of shoulder presses, 3 sets, 12 lbs
    15 reps of bent-over rowns, 3 sets, 40lb bar
    15 reps wide stance squats, 40 lbs
    And then I do an ab circuit as well. What would you change the above to in terms of lifting heavy/less reps?

One way to approach this would be to increase all weight next week.
    Grab the 20's for hammers, grab 15s for DB shoulder press (probably could go right to 20)
    Add 2x5 to the bar for bent rows and squats.

See what happens to your rep range. If you can clear 10 reps, (or 8, or 12 and this is somewhat personal preference), up the weight next week. Repeat/etc.

Not the only way to do it, this is just one method you can apply to start upping the weight and getting into a more optimal rep range.

EDIT: On a personal note, I find better results in a lower rep range. I think setting 8 or 10 as a threshold at which you increase weight, is a reasonable place for now, but others may have a different opinion on this.