Vegetarian Woes

Options
I've been a vegetarian since I was 3, and it makes maintaining a healthy balance of calories challenging. I often wish my parents had never let me make such a life altering decision at such a young age (they are both meat eaters, so it wasn't like they encouraged it). I don't always get enough protein, but I'm usually right on target with my fat (below 25%). My struggle is carbs. Because my diet is so reliant on vegetables, fruit, and grains my %s on here are way out of whack.

I know I need the protein to stay healthy, and I'm usually only a couple of grams below my goal (sometimes even over). Any ideas on whether or not this will negatively impact my weight loss? I mean, my carbs are all healthy stuff (even the grains are all whole grains), but I worry about the balance.

Also, my sugars are always super high, but most of the sugars come from fruit and veggies. Should I worry about that? Or only focus on added sugars?

Lastly, and this one doesn't really belong in this forum- I've been losing weight since before I joined the site. Is there any way to go back and put in my actual start weight (for the day that I actually began focusing on losing weight)?

Thanks!

Replies

• lizsmith1976
    lizsmith1976 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I never worry about natural sugars, only processed added sugars. If it is coming from veggies/fruits/whole grains, unless you are worried about blood sugar level or diabetes, then don't worry about it.

I am not vegetarian, but I tend to eat vegetarian meals a lot, particularly when not with my boyfriend, but I add protein by eating Kashi cereals ~ 9g of protein in a cup and Oroweat Healthful sliced nutty grain bread - it's only 80 calories a slice and 5g of protein a slice. I also eat a lot of soups with beans and lentils.

As far as original start weight - I just gave myself credit for it by what I put in my signature line. I was losing weight for 6 months before the site so I wanted to show that :)

As long as you are losing weight, I wouldn't worry about the balance. There is an author named Selene Yeager who is a pro cyclist and contributor to Men's Health magazine, others, who was a vegetarian for a long time. Google her and see what she offers as far as advice on what to eat.

Hope this helps!
  • oceanrose78
    oceanrose78 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I started eating a plant based diet in March, and then cut out dairy/eggs in October.

Do you eat beans? Dark leafy green veggies? Any amount of Tofu? I certainly have started eating more carbs, but at the same they are healthy carbs and I have still been losing weight. I am also typically very high in sugar but most is fruit sugars. My plan is to address this in January after I am completely used to not eating dairy :)

Good luck!
  • manifestinghappiness
    Options
    I don't worry about the protein issue. There are many studies showing the protein we get from plant based foods are more beneficial than animal sources and that we don't require as much as the meat and dairy industry would like us to believe.

I also tend to have high carb intake, but I am still losing. If the carbs are coming mostly from your fruits and veggies, I wouldn't worry. I played with my %s to have a higher carb limit than suggested. I just try to make sure I'm staying with whole food carbs, and be careful with the processed carbs such as bread etc. I also had to cut down on my fruit intake b/c that was causing sugar spikes and candida problems. I was eating about 10 servings of fruit, now I shoot for 5. That keeps my sugars in a more reasonable range.

You can add your past weight by going to "check-in" and there's a place to add/edit previous dates.
  • anjukins
    anjukins Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I'm probably going to get razzed for this, but I think we don't need as much protein as most people (and mfp) think we need. That having been said, if you feel like you want to add an extra boost of protein to your diet, you could have a small protein smoothie in the morning- half a cup of milk (soy rice almond hemp hazelnut, whatever) and half a banana and one scoop of unsweetened & unflavored protein powder (i use plain brown rice protein powder, Nutribiotic brand, or plain hemp protein powder, Nutiva brand) . Every morning that I do this, I end up over my protein goals.
  • sunrise611
    sunrise611 Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    I think you should only focus on added sugars, not sugar from fruits like grapes.

However, you might want to cut down on high-sugar fruits:

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/whattoeat/a/whatfruit.htm

http://www.southbeach-diet-plan.com/glycemicfoodchart.htm

I'm not sure but I think you can modify the start date.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I have been a vegetarian my whole life, and I have the EXACT same micronutrient stats as you, lol. I've started adding plain Greek yogurt in the morning which actually puts me right at my protein goal by the end of the day. I take a branch chain amino acid drink after my workouts which has helped me tremendously with soreness. (which was awful I'm assuming due to my 7% protein diet)

I'm trying to cut down the sugar and carbs but like you said it's from nutrient rich foods. *shrug* I'm still seeing progress. :)
  • slenderagain
    Options
    I'm also a vegetarian. Protein is easy to get on a vegetarian diet, but you need to make good food choices. Eat lots of legumes, not only do you get protein, but you also get a lot of iron (also needed as a vegetarian) and dietary fiber. Some beans, like black beans and great northern beans, are also a good source of calcium.

You can also get a good amount of protein from whole grains, like oats, quinoa, even whole wheat. A serving of whole wheat pasta has 7 grams of protein for about 200 calories, that's almost as much protein as you get in a serving of peanut butter (8 grams/200 calories).

I think part of your problem might have come from you growing up as the only vegetarian in a meat-eating family. You probably subsisted on all the side dishes and just left out the meat from the meals that were served. I am raising my kids vegetarian but the whole family eats this way, so we are all getting meatless sources of protein at every meal, like beans, peanut butter, tofu, eggs, cheese, etc.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    Just increase your protein and lower your carbs......better anyway.
  • katatak1
    katatak1 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Couple of things. I really hate beans. Just can't make myself eat them. It's mostly a texture thing. And I do get a good amount of protein from pastas and grains. For instance, I LOVE quinoa. I also eat a good deal of tofu. I just kinda feel like the numbers mfp wants me to get are a bit too high. I occasionally eat greek yogurt, so I guess I could move to make that a daily thing. It's just so darn expensive!

Slenderagain- I wasn't the only vegetarian. My sister is one too. My parents were actually very supportive and did their best to make sure we got enough protein. They managed to fit tofu into so many things (like tofu pancakes, tofu stuffed pastas, etc.) and they bought cook books to fit our diet (like diet for a small planet, and lean and meatless). The problem I face is more in dealing with my work life. When I was in college, I had more time to cook and eat healthfully. I work tons of hours at my job as a researcher and when I get home it's usually 7 or 8 and I'm too tired to cook a full meal. Vegetarian lifestyles just seem to me to be more labor intensive. My sister agrees with me that a fully vegetarian lifestyle from childhood makes for some real challenges in adulthood, so both of my neices eat meat. They are still to very healthy girls though!

I think so anjukins! And thanks for the advice rainbowbow, more greek yogurt it is!

Thanks everyone
  • adamcrisis
    adamcrisis Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    If youre concerned with your protein just add some nuts to your daily diet. A few spoons of peanut butter will jump ya right back up there easy.
  • anelahm
    anelahm Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    cottage cheese?
  • meex
    meex Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Have you tried protein shakes? I eat alot of vegetarian food because it is so much more pure and healthy. Just see how you go