CHEAT DAYS?

Options
2»

Replies

• UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    I had better progress when I cut out cheat days.

Only time I don't count is when I go on vacation (I also gain ten pounds, mostly water weight, lol)
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    To piggyback on what another reply said, I was extremely strict during the rest of the week. I never went over allotted calories, was sometimes under (I'm not at 1200 before anyone screams at that ;P) and always eat lots of spinach and other veggies, usually 8-10 servings of veg a day, minimal fruit, a good amount of lean protein and, at most, one small "unhealthy" snack per day. My macros usually end up around 40-45 carbs with fat and protein evenly dividing whatever remains.

I also workout six days a week, cook all of my own meals everyday and keep my sodium levels typically around 1300-1700 each day. So my cheats were truly cheats in that respect and I stayed tried and true the rest of time, and they were still a negative effect on me.

All of that said, every single person is different. And just because it didn't work for me doesn't mean it wouldn't for you, as it's clearly worked for a fair number of folks. So really, the only way to know is to just try it for yourself. I just wanted to share my experiences as part of the whole tale, since those that it works for definitely have a great love for those cheats. :D
  • kiahpyr
    kiahpyr Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I don't have cheat days either. I just can't do it because I know it's not good for me and why I joined mfp. Once a month our mom's club has a mom's night out. That's my cheat meal and drinks. So far it hasn't had a negative effect on my weight loss. I do log it and make myself accountable for it.
  • spyork
    spyork Posts: 187
    Options
    Hi,

You can have cheat days as long as you dont eat a dozen cream cakes etc, i tend to have a veggie pizza as a cheat/treat day but i still take my protein etc.

Hope this helps
  • LJGmom
    LJGmom Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    No I don't, but do I get tempted to eat and give in? Yes. Like tonight. We had a church dinner, with a smorgasbord of desserts to choose from. I chose brownie trifle. It was awesome!, I would NEVER make this at home, so for a once a year dinner, I had a dessert. I will be super good the rest of the weekend!
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    I weigh in on Fridays, and I consider it to be my 'cheat day' It isn't a gorge yourself sick day -- it's where we will eat out for dinner, or if the girls are going out at lunch I will join them. I may have an extra treat at night I have been craving or a latte sometimes too. I have been doing this my whole journey and it hasn't seemed to hamper me too much, it's being able to get back on track the very next day! I am ok to do so, but I fear for the halloween candy - to have just one - so that I have stayed away from! lol!
    I know alot of people who have been successful with a zig zag diet.

I think you have to give yourself something once in awhile or you may not stick with the new lifestyle change - it's moderation and if you look at it more as a cheat meal than a cheat day, it may not seem so harsh!
    Good luck!!!
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to add to my comment... I think it's what you do with that cheat day or meal or whatever you want to call it.

I go out for a meal or have pizza with my kids. It may be a couple beer or a latte. I also watch portion sizes still! I am not sitting in front of my tv eating an entire bag of chips or a tub of icecream or 3 chocolate bars lol. It's living life and being able to stick to this new lifestyle FOREVER!! if you don't let yourself have stuff in moderation then I fear one will gorge when they do have it.

I am strick the other 6 days!
  • eddyca
    eddyca Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Ugh. I never planned on having a cheat day but they seem to pop up once every 2 weeks :( today was really bad. I probably consumed 3,000 calories total because of my late night domino's pizza binge. I honestly think these binges wouldn't happen if I allowed one light cheat day a week.
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I generally don't like to do a whole day, but sometimes will have a calorie-heavy meal. I try to compensate for this the remainder of the day in terms of calorie intake. If I know I'm going to have a lot of calories, I try to save up for it.
  • MzGrinch9250
    MzGrinch9250 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I don't have cheat days. I plan ahead and count the calories into my day. Once a month I get together with friends and we go out to dinner. If I feel that I may go over, then I increase my exercise for the day to give me a cushion. Do what you think works best for you.