Another Backhanded NSV

I know we’ve seen this a thousand times on here- but it happened to me and I had to share this.
As I was walking back from the break room (after refusing an unhealthy breakfast of bacon and French toast provided by the drug reps) I was stopped by one of the nurses. “Oh, Stephanie, you’re losing some weight aren’t you?”
“We’ll I’ve only lost a few pounds. But yeah, I’m working on it.” Directly after she said this another nurse walked by and said, ‘If you get any skinnier you’ll blow away.” The concept of her saying this to me was hilarious and I laughed. I weigh 175+ pounds at 5.3! The only thing that’s going to blow me away would be a hurricane! I know her statement was ludicrous but it’s still a little insulting!

Replies

• sunnyrunner23
    sunnyrunner23 Posts: 182 Member
    jerks!
  • mndamon
    mndamon Posts: 549 Member
    Kick the **** out of them and take their lunch money, then you can buy healthy food for breakfast. Wait, that wasn't the problem?

Seriously, don't let it get to you. She may have meant it in a totally innocent way. We construe what people say in our own way, it's possible it wasn't meant to be backhanded.
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    its the concept of you making them feel bad for their food choices..cause they know subconciously..they should walk away like you did.

Good for you for having the willpower..so they feel angry at themselves..and you were the target of the animosity..

But who the heck cares..you are doing awesome..keep on pushing!
  • horndave
    horndave Posts: 565
    yeah, I wouldnt have taken that as being backhanded. It might be she didnt know what to say and made the comment to give a compliment but didnt come out right.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Do you think they meant it as a compliment? My step-mom called me the "incredible shrinking woman" the other night. It has taken me 6 months to lose 35 pounds, so it's hardly incredible, but I know she meant it as a compliment...
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Seriously...I think people are just trying to be nice, but when they open their mouth, the stupidity comes rushing out!

Someone said to me today "you need to stop or you'll get too skinny", I was like "ummm...ok, whatever". I know I'm not "overweight" anymore, but trust me, I'm also not anywhere close to being "too skinny" !

Anyway...take it as a compliment. These days, I'm learning to just say "yes, I've lost weight...thanks".

BTW...way to go on refusing that bacon/french toast breakfast. That is an NSV by itself!
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Kick the **** out of them and take their lunch money, then you can buy healthy food for breakfast. Wait, that wasn't the problem?

^^ do this. :)
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    I didn't find that insulting either.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Light travels faster than sound
    That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak:laugh:
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    I don't know... I'm not thin yet and on very windy days I've come close to being knocked over. You could be closer than you think. :laugh: I'm actually very scared of wind because as a kid I was holding an umbrella on a windy, rainy day and it lifted me off my feet.
  • ReginasHorror
    ReginasHorror Posts: 423 Member

Seriously, don't let it get to you. She may have meant it in a totally innocent way. We construe what people say in our own way, it's possible it wasn't meant to be backhanded.

OMG! I laughed out loud when I read this. And Everyone, I understand you may not find it insulting, it may have just been the tone she used.
  • kristilovescake
    kristilovescake Posts: 669 Member
    It sounds like it could have been a genuine compliment, like telling you that you look like you're not overweight. I've heard people say it before, and it's always meant in a good way like "you don't need to lose weight".
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    You can CHOOSE to find it insulting *or* you can choose to think she was just engaging in hyperbole in order to bolster her compliment.

All this cynicism makes me sad.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    How was this insulting?
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    You can CHOOSE to find it insulting *or* you can choose to think she was just engaging in hyperbole in order to bolster her compliment.

All this cynicism makes me sad.
    She was clearly jealous of the weight she's lost.
  • CathiAnne
    CathiAnne Posts: 193 Member
    I wonder if they really are trying to pay you a compliment and just don't know how? My response to that would be a smile and keep walking. You know inside yourself what you're doing and why. :wink:
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Here's a backhanded compliment I got:

Lady I work with: "Patti, you look like you've lost weight".
    Me: "Yes, I have. About 25lbs".
    Her: "Well, that's a great start".

WTH???? How does she know I wasn't finished???!!!
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    I know her statement was ludicrous but it’s still a little insulting!

Since this is in writing, I can't say that wasn't meant as a real compliment. I read it as so. Wasnt there to actually hear if there was any sarcasm is the second nurse's voice...Could be that you miss took how she said it?

personally, I would've said...I hope I do.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Bacon and french toast is not unhealthy. I am offended by the suggestion.

You can pm the apology to me, if you choose not to go public.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    i would have stormed off and stole all the bacon
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!