1300 calories a day. Healthy?

Options
When I started up on MFP 3 weeks ago it had my daily calorie goal at 1400. I've since lost 3 pounds, and it has lowered my calorie goal to 1380. 20 calorie difference, not so bad. But now I'm a little concerned about how much lower that calorie goal is going to get. Is it really healthy?

I know this has probably been asked time and time again, and I apologize.

I understand that on days I work out, I get to eat more calories. But on days I am unable to work out, do I really need to eat 1380 to continue to lose weight?

It's kind of difficult as it is, fitting all the nutrition I need and eating foods that make me full, WHILE keeping little treats that I enjoy in the diet, all the while keeping it at 1400...Is MFP eventually going to have me down to 1200 calories a day?

It is my goal to exercise 60 minutes x 5 days a week. And to lose 1 pound a week.

I guess what I'm wondering now, is, once I reach my goal of successfully exercising that much a week, how many calories will I be able to consume day-to-day, theoretically, for the rest of my life? Because 1400 seemed like it was not easy, but it was achievable. And now I'm just flustered at how much I might have to trim back.

Replies

• shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    While it may technically be in the healthy range, the amount of calories you burn just by breathing and pumping blood through your body is probably more than that in itself. I would say 1400 is the lowest I would ever go personally. That's just my opinion though. If you're having success with that many calories a day, why change it?
  • Jarvis95
    Jarvis95 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    i found the MFP calculator really low, check out the calculator at livestrong.com
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    While you are losing weight, you eat less calories. So when you reach your goal, you shouldn't still be eating at the same deficit of you will continue to lose. You can't really compare the 2 because maintenance calories are more than weight loss calories.
  • jellybaby84
    jellybaby84 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I don't know, it really depends on you.

I'm on 1200 and it's ample food for me, as long as I make the right choices and don't blow it on high calorie, non filling foods.
  • Juleeroch
    Juleeroch Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I started using this site about 6 weeks ago. Ideally I wanted to lose 1 to 1.5 lbs a week. However MFP recommended that I only lose 0.5 lbs a week on 1200 calories a day. Not easy - tho it is achievable - i have lost 3lbs so far, however it is very hard work, and it doesnt make it easier when one reads on here that some people lose 3lbs in one week. !!!! MFP will not go below 1200 calories a day. Now I seem to have plateaued. I simply go up and then down a few ounces a day.
  • Juleeroch
    Juleeroch Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I don't know, it really depends on you.

I'm on 1200 and it's ample food for me, as long as I make the right choices and don't blow it on high calorie, non filling foods.

Maybe thats where i'm going wrong. I tend to eat a lot of "snacks" which although tasty are probably high in calories and not filling. Perhaps I need some help here.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    What is your weekly lose goal? That is why sets the deficit. There's nothing wrong with losing slower so you can eat more. It's probably even healthier / more sustainable. I never went below 1750.
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I don't know your height but, unless you're, quite short, 1300 calories won't cause you to gain weight.

Insofar as losing weight, 1300 calories will probably give you a slow weight loss.

You may well lose weight faster but cutting your calories. I used a low calorie diet and lost 95 pounds in 7 months.

My diet was modeled after the diet provided by Lindora, a company based here in Southern California that has helped hundreds of thousands of customers lose weight over its 40+ year history.

My diet was 800 to 1000 net cals/day and I exercised three times a week on the elliptical.

My diary is public and my results are posted here:

http://cbeinfo.net/weight.htm

Many folks don't want to drop their calorie levels to that low. MFP recommends 1200 calories and there are valid reasons to eat 1200 calories.

There are also valid reasons to eat 1300 or 1000 or 800 calories.

The great thing about weight loss and the exchange of ideas, is that we have many ways to accomplish our goal.

if you feel more comfortable at the 1200 level, that's all that matters.

Best of luck in your weight loss! :smile:
  • ParisArkw
    Options
    Thank you EVERYONE for your helpful replies!!! I reallyreally appreciate it. =)

Julee- When I'm in a snacky mood, I tend to have a big salad for dinner, because all those veggies equate to very little in calories and allow for some tasties. =b I add a boiled egg or some form of protein, too, so that it helps to feeling full for a longer period of time. =3 Good luck conquering your plateau, you can totally do it. =)

Rachel- I'm currently wanting to lose 1 pound a week, and I have been achieving this goal so far, for the past 3-4 weeks. I suppose if I meet a hard *kitten* plateau, maybe I'll cut back on calories then, haha. When you stuck to 1750+, what pace did your weight loss go at?

ATT- I'm 5'3", is that considered short? Haha. In relating it to 1300 calories, I'm guessing it is. Thank you for your reply. If you don't mind me asking, are you still trying to lose weight? Are you still sticking to a low calorie diet?
  • zoeeverett
    Options
    i started just over a month ago and my calorie goal is 1300 a day. i find it quite easy and am most days under my goal. i just have to make sure i check the calories on everything i eat and on days when i know i will be over, to do more exercise.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    I eat around 1200 to 1500 every day and burn anywhere from 400 to 800 in exercise that I don't eat back. I feel great, with good energy, and plenty of focus.

Really it just depends on the person. Some people plateau and don't lose weight if their caloric intake is too low.
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    A lot depends on your height and age. As you get older you need less calories.
  • eyeshuh
    eyeshuh Posts: 333
    Options
    Thank you EVERYONE for your helpful replies!!! I reallyreally appreciate it. =)

Julee- When I'm in a snacky mood, I tend to have a big salad for dinner, because all those veggies equate to very little in calories and allow for some tasties. =b I add a boiled egg or some form of protein, too, so that it helps to feeling full for a longer period of time. =3 Good luck conquering your plateau, you can totally do it. =)

Rachel- I'm currently wanting to lose 1 pound a week, and I have been achieving this goal so far, for the past 3-4 weeks. I suppose if I meet a hard *kitten* plateau, maybe I'll cut back on calories then, haha. When you stuck to 1750+, what pace did your weight loss go at?

ATT- I'm 5'3", is that considered short? Haha. In relating it to 1300 calories, I'm guessing it is. Thank you for your reply. If you don't mind me asking, are you still trying to lose weight? Are you still sticking to a low calorie diet?

I'm also 5'3". I found MFP to estimate TDEE super low, so I bumped my activity level up to "Lightly Active". Though now I let my Fitbit adjust my activity for me. I am within 10lbs to my goal, so I'm also only set to .5lb a week. My "no exercise" calories is 1450. To answer your question, yes, MFP expects you to only eat the 1380 if you do absolutely no exercise. However, I am guessing that you have your activity level set to Sedentary, which I think most people (even those with desk jobs!) are not. Try setting your activity level to "Lightly Active" and see what happens.
  • G30Grrl
    G30Grrl Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    i found the MFP calculator really low, check out the calculator at livestrong.com
    Actually, Livestrong set my calories at 1089 per day.
    I'm sticking with 1200. If I want to eat more, I just work out longer to "buy" more calories.
  • lilmissbamaqueen
    Options
    Find out your BMR, and try to not eat under that. :)
  • beautyisnotashape
    beautyisnotashape Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I didn't even read your entire question. That is NOT enough calories. Your body needs energy and nutrients. A calorie is simply a unit of energy. If you eat 1600 calories a day and a lot of them are fruits and veggies do you really think that will stop you from losing weight? Love your body. Fuel your body with what it needs. Eat nutrient rich foods and as much non processed food as you can. DON'T BE AFRAID TO EAT :)
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    You really should see what the calories are to maintain the weight you WANT to be. Makes it all a lot easier. Don't go below that.
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Hi from Issaquah. I've been eating 1300 for over a year now and losing slowly but steadily. However, I am 66 with multiple joint problems and not able to exercise much and also have a long history of yoyo dieting. I would think for someone as young as you are that you could be successful with more,
  • Aviendha_RJ
    Aviendha_RJ Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I try to stick to low-calorie meals for breakfast & dinner... usually waffles & corn syrup with fruit, or fat-free yogurt with berries and granola.

Lunches I alternate between sandwich wraps (usually tuna with ranch dressing instead of mayo), or chicken breast. Sometimes I'll have salads (caesar or garden) with fat free dressing & chicken, or a healthy soup with low sodium.

I budget about 100-150 calories for snacks... for which I usually pick a banana, or granola bar & some cucumber slices, or baby carrots, or light spreadable cheese with crackers... depending on if I'm hungry (& I'm usually not).

For dinner then, I end up with about 500-600 calories... so I fill half my plate with veggies, & then can have salmon, halibut, cod or other fish, chicken, pork chops, or beef (like tonight) and I don't feel guilty about having a full 5-oz meat portion because I have the extra calories available.

I try to keep some exercise calories available for evening snacks like air-popped popcorn, light spreadable cheese with crackers, piece of fruit, or a fat-free pudding cup.

DO NOT deprive yourself of TASTE. That's the KILLER. It'll getcha every time!
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    To be honest, most of my weight loss occurred while I was eating about 1350. I was starting around 145lbs, 5'4". I did a good job eating lots of fruits and vegetables and other foods that are low in calories but very filling. I was usually exercising about 30 minutes 4-6 times a week, mostly cardio with some moderate lifting. My runs felt fine, but I had a hard time putting on any muscle.

I think that was okay for a short time (around four months maybe?). Now I eat much more though. Don't really know how much, as I don't track anymore. Probably ranges from 1770-2500 depending on how active I am that day. I run 3 times a week, averaging between 15-20 miles a week and do heavy lifting 2-3 times a week. All that being said, weigh a little more, but I'm still the same size I was at my low weight, thanks to all the lean muscle I've built. It takes more calories to maintain that muscle, so I'm cool with eating more.