Brainstorm veggie dips?

Options
Heya - what are good veggie dips? I thought of ranch dip and hummus... is there some way to involve pesto, maybe? What other ideas do you guys have?

Replies

• gaylelynnbell
    gaylelynnbell Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I like to mix 1/2 fat free ranch and 1/2 salsa. Makes a nice creamy and spicy dip.
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    For a ranch dip, try using the seasoning packet with plain fat free yogurt. Barely tastes any different, but much better when it comes to logging.
    I like using guacamole too.
  • heykatieben
    heykatieben Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Ooh, great ideas! Love the yogurt hack :)
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Sundried tomato and pesto dip

INGREDIENTS | SERVES 20

2 cloves garlic

1 tablespoon reduced-fat mayonnaise

¾ cup fresh basil

1 teaspoon toasted pine nuts

¼ teaspoon white pepper

¼ cup julienne-cut dry (not oil-packed) sun-dried tomatoes

8 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese or Neufchâtel, at room temperature
    Place the garlic, mayonnaise, basil, pine nuts, and pepper in a food processor. Pulse until a fairly smooth paste forms. Add the sun-dried tomatoes and pulse 4–5 times. Add the cream cheese and pulse until smooth.

Scrape into a 2-quart slow cooker. Cook on low for 1 hour. Stir before serving.

PER SERVING Calories: 35 | Fat: 3g | Sodium: 65mg | Carbohydrates: 1g | Fiber: 0g | Protein: 1g

How to Toast Pine Nuts

Preheat the oven to 350°F. Place the pine nuts on a cookie sheet or cake pan. Roast for 5–8 minutes in the oven. Pine nuts will be slightly browned and fragrant when fully toasted.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    White Bean and Pesto dip

2 15-ounce cans cannellini beans (white kidney beans), rinsed, drained
    1/2 cup purchased pesto
    2 to 3 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
    print a shopping list for this recipe

PreparationProcess beans in processor until smooth. Stir in pesto. Add lemon juice to taste. Season with salt and pepper. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead.) Stir dip before serving.

Read More http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/White-Bean-and-Pesto-Dip-1#ixzz1cmQrqw28
  • Maryee71
    Maryee71 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I take fat free Greek yogurt, add dill weed, a little garlic salt and a dash of splenda. Makes great veggie dip.
    You could add pesto to the yogurt. Bet it would be good.:drinker:
  • michelledruss
    michelledruss Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I have taken ranch seasoning packets and added it to low fat or fat free cottage cheese and then blended it in the blender. It taste like a nice rich ranch dip. Delicious.
  • BrewerGeorge
    BrewerGeorge Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Tapenade
    Pureed, roasted red peppers
    Marinara sauce
  • jojowack
    jojowack Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Fat free french onion dip is tasty with veggies. Athenos hummus is good too and lower calorie than some others.
  • ajanders21
    ajanders21 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    FF plain greek yogurt is the best with powered ranch dressing, or the Lipton onion soup mix, or with dill. Its super thick and because its sightly sour its a great alternative to sour cream (which is what a lot of dips call for).

Happy munching!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Tzatziki. (I strain the greek yogurt with a cheesecloth for a thicker sauce) Here is one recipe. There are tons of variations. I like the ones with mint and dill in it, but you can do with one or the other. You can also skip the salt on cukes and do it without.

1 cup grated seeded peeled cucumber
    1/8 teaspoon salt
    1 cup plain low fat greek yogurt
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
    2 teaspoons chopped fresh dill
    2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1-2 garlic cloves, minced

Preparation
    Place cucumber on several layers of paper towels; sprinkle with 1/8 teaspoon salt. Let stand 30 minutes.
    Combine cucumber, yogurt, and remaining ingredients, stirring until well blended. Refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving.
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    Tzatziki. (I strain the greek yogurt with a cheesecloth for a thicker sauce) Here is one recipe. There are tons of variations. I like the ones with mint and dill in it, but you can do with one or the other. You can also skip the salt on cukes and do it without.

1 cup grated seeded peeled cucumber
    1/8 teaspoon salt
    1 cup plain low fat greek yogurt
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
    2 teaspoons chopped fresh dill
    2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1-2 garlic cloves, minced

Preparation
    Place cucumber on several layers of paper towels; sprinkle with 1/8 teaspoon salt. Let stand 30 minutes.
    Combine cucumber, yogurt, and remaining ingredients, stirring until well blended. Refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving.

This sounds so yum!
  • heykatieben
    heykatieben Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Ooh, more great ideas! I definitely hadn't thought of pureed roasted red peppers, cool!

@jojowack - hehe, I'm asking because I loved Julie's idea of always having a veggie tray in the fridge. :D Totally took that tip!

Tried the ranch dip mix with greek yogurt - the calorie/protein differential is astounding (it's something like 1/3rd the calories, WAY more protein) - it does taste more sour, if anyone has ideas to counter the sour - but still good! I bet tzatziki would work well with greek yogurt!