Which of these would be better for time and fat loss?

Options
Lyadeia
Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
I will be doing a split routine in the gym 3 days per week, but how to do that routine is up for debate right now.

I have considered just doing it straight out (there's 8 exercises (2 per body part) with 3 sets each per day) like do 1 set, rest, do another set, rest, do 3rd set. move on to exercise number 2, and so forth...

And I have considered doing it like a circuit training format where I do the first 4 exercises (which are all different body parts) without stopping, then rest, do that circuit 3 times...then rest and repeat with other 4 exercises.

I have a feeling that the second method would be faster because of the less rest. But, what does that necessarily mean for fat loss? And would I be sacrificing any strength doing it that way? This is NOT intended to be a "cardio" workout using lighter weights but a weight routine lifting at about 85% of my max for 8-12 reps per exercise.

Any thoughts? I had been doing the first thing listed for the past couple months, just wondering how changing it would work out. I certainly love the strength I am gaining and don't want to sacrifice it.

Replies

• BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Are you lifting to build or define....Define is not toning with light weights. What areas are you working? Speed is not always the best choice.

Muscle building, overall, will help with your metabolism, but that alone will not burn the fat. You need the cardio. Are you mixing it in?
  • Lyadeia
    Options
    Are you lifting to build or define....Define is not toning with light weights. What areas are you working? Speed is not always the best choice.

Muscle building, overall, will help with your metabolism, but that alone will not burn the fat. You need the cardio. Are you mixing it in?

I am lifting to gain strength and to preserve muscle while on a calorie deficit and doing cardio. I do cardio 5 days a week in the form of cardio kickboxing, running, and the step mill.

I just want to make sure that I will not sacrifice any strength gains by doing option 2 listed above doing the overall plan I have made out. What I am doing is straight from Tom Venuto's BFFM.

I am not trying to build muscle, I am on a mission to burn fat. When I get my body fat down I will perhaps try to build muscle and then cut some more fat afterwards, but right now I am sitting at 30ish percent body fat in a size 8/10 making me a prime example of skinny fat.
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options

You dont need cardio, just a calorie deficit, i dont do any cardio at all.
  • jackiemonx
    jackiemonx Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    u need the cardio just for ur health. if ur still using the same weights in option 2 then u shudnt b droppin ur strength any
  • Lyadeia
    Options
    I guess I will give it a try next week to see what happens. I still plan on using progressive overload, but I wasn't sure if the fewer rests would affect strength gains. I am still thinking that it would possibly help with fat loss by adding a cardio effect to my weight routines, even if it is very minimal.