Friends don't let friends eat out

Options
I love my friends, but whenever we get together it involves eating out and drinks. They are all happy with their weight, and I feel uncomfortable asking to do something besides eating out because I don't want to put a stop to their fun. I suggested trying some healthier options for dining out, but they want burgers and pizza. Any suggestions on how to address the issue or healthy eating options?

Replies

• taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Try to select something relatively "healthy" from the menu, or figure out a way to fit it into your daily calories or, if it fits your schedule, make that day a "free day" or "splurge day".
  • healthyliving_girl
    healthyliving_girl Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    This may sound stupid, but I usually do one of two things:

1. I eat beforehand and just get a drink, saying, "Sorry. I ate already. Just wanted to hang out...and now I have more time to chat (instead of eating). haha.

2. I order something from the sides menu - like a salad or a fruit bowl. I met a friend for breakfast at a diner type place and just ordered two hard boiled eggs and a cup of juice. HAHA. :)
  • MelHoneyRocks
    Options
    Why dont you initiate the conversation of going out and explain to them how important your new goals are. They should be supportive!
  • Cakepiebeer
    Options
    dont suggest anything,. No one likes a stick in the mud. Do your thing and let them do theirs
  • coullmom
    coullmom Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    If you still can handle watching them eat that stuff, just have your dinner at home and join them for the conversation. Nothing wrong with just enjoying being around them.......just be careful you don't fall into their trap!! It has happened to me that I end up eating something I shouldn't cause it looks sooo good. Good luck!
  • dez_yaoichan
    Options
    no clue about the pizza but maybe get the burger without the bun? or ask about a whole grain bun? i understand how its hard to be the "downer" when hanging out, but really your friends should indulge you once in a while and go somewhere healthier... subway has pizza for them and a sub or salad for you. maybe they would be ok with them?
  • Unwrapping_Candy
    Unwrapping_Candy Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I disagree. Anyone who tries to keep me from eating out is no friend of mine. :)

And now for an actual suggestion: If they want burgers and pizza then give them that. Invite them over and make turkey burgers or soy burgers or if it's pizza make cauli-crust pizza with veggie toppings. Or find a place in your area where you can go together and enjoy these things.
  • halfsizeheather
    halfsizeheather Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    i know how you feel, going out with the girls always involves eating and this Christmas there are two work parties and we are supposed to be going to an 'all you can eat buffet' restaurant. Not want I'd like to do at all.

one plate of salad then please and no i don't feel like a dessert I'm full lol
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Try to select something relatively "healthy" from the menu, or figure out a way to fit it into your daily calories or, if it fits your schedule, make that day a "free day" or "splurge day".

This. The world isn't going to change because you are changing.
  • sw33tn3ss07
    Options
    Get new friends :-0
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    no clue about the pizza but maybe get the burger without the bun? or ask about a whole grain bun? i understand how its hard to be the "downer" when hanging out, but really your friends should indulge you once in a while and go somewhere healthier... subway has pizza for them and a sub or salad for you. maybe they would be ok with them?
    Who goes for a night out with friends at Subway? :indifferent:
  • pink59eldo
    Options
    My friends are all the same way. We always go to happy hour. I've gotten pretty good at picking healthy options from any menu, even though it does take me forever to look up nutrition facts. I would try to pick the best option off of the menu. I know it's hard to want a salad over a pizza, but you'll be happy that you do. Our friends should be supportive, but we also have to know how to pick the best option off of ANY menu to keep this lifestyle going.
  • lovinlife71
    Options

^^I agree!^^
  • Mynue_Jeens
    Mynue_Jeens Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I check the menu online before hand so I can see nutrition info and decide before I even leave what I will order. Another idea is to eat before you go and just hang out and maybe have a drink or two.
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    Save up all your calories for your dining experience?
  • Just_Dot
    Just_Dot Posts: 2,289 Member
    Options
    Get a salad and a small app or something... I often say phuck it and just get what I want. If I know beforehand that we're going out to eat, I'll get an extra calorie burn in to offset the calories consumed later. Just because I'm trying to be healthier, it doesn't mean I'm going to stop going out or living.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Eat healthy before you meet with your friends, so when you get together you can enjoy each others company. Order something light or healthy if you get hungry. Now was that so hard?
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I love my friends, but whenever we get together it involves eating out and drinks. They are all happy with their weight, and I feel uncomfortable asking to do something besides eating out because I don't want to put a stop to their fun. I suggested trying some healthier options for dining out, but they want burgers and pizza. Any suggestions on how to address the issue or healthy eating options?

OMG I had to deal with that this week. My friend Beth and I had been planning on going out for 2 weeks. I suggested that she come over to my house and I will cook a nice healthy meal, and then we could go out shopping or whatever. She INSISTED that the point of going out so we didn't have to cook and we ended up going to Olive Garden. So frustrating...

I make sure that I plan for days like that, though. There's always at least one healthy thing on the menu, so you have to be mentally prepared before hand. You can also plan your whole day around going out so even if what you pick out isn't that healthy, it doesn't totally kill your calorie total. I also suggest that we do something more healthy afterwards, even if it is just a game of bowling. Something active, you know?

Maybe one day friends can get together WITHOUT having a bunch of food and drinks! Cause I am not friends with people just for that. I am not even sure why it is so important in our society to stuff our faces with food when we go out.
  • dez_yaoichan
    Options
    Who goes for a night out with friends at Subway? :indifferent:

just trying to give some choices. if its a night out at the mall and movies, subway isnt a big deal. op never said where they went lol.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    I disagree. Anyone who tries to keep me from eating out is no friend of mine. :)

:)