Dizzy

Options
Hi all. I'm just wondering if anyone else gets dizzy spells since starting MFP. I've think I have been getting what's called orthostatic hypotension. Or aka: my BP drops when I go to stand up and I get dizzy and almost fall down. I notice it's mostly on days where I am close to or under my calorie count. I have been drinking a minimum or 8C of water a day. I'm not sure why it's happening. I do have a Dr.'s appt. soon and I'll ask then, but it's a pretty generalized symptom. Does anyone else have this problem specifically since starting their weight loss journey? I'm not really looking for medical advice, I'm just wondering if anyone else has this issue too.

Replies

• RNMDFF
    RNMDFF Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I get dizzy a lot too. My doctor said it was probably because my body was adjusting to losing weight. I got dizzy before I started to lose weight but it did get worse when it was coming off. its gotten better now that my weight loss has slowed down a little.
    I have always drank close if not more then a gallon of water daily
  • mmocarr
    mmocarr Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Hello
    sorry to hear you have been dizzy. I get severe orthostatic hypotension (I have semi frequent fainting spells from this which is exasperated by thyroid issues) and have for a number of years. I have not found that is has gotten worse from loosing weight but it does become worse on days where I don't eat enough. I recently saw a new MD for the issue and his advice were very close to the things you are already doing;

drinking enough water will increase blood volume and make blood pressure more stable
    eat an adequate amount of salt
    avoid caffeine, smoking, alcohol
    get close to the ground when you feel episodes coming

hope that helps

meagan
  • peanut613
    peanut613 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I got dizzy spells when I wasn't taking in enough calories. If you have a dr appt coming up, be sure to talk about it. Make sure the calories you are eating are sufficient for your body. Hopefully it passes soon!
  • IMDABOMBthe0wife0DABEAST
    Options
    I have been getting dizzy spells more often since I have lost the weight. Just last week I had an episode that caused me to blackout and put me on the floor. I went to the ER, but did not get the right dianosis, so I had a follow up apt. with mey Dr. this past monday and he thins I have Hypotension as well. I wore a heart monitor for 24hrs and am waiting on the results. Make sure when you see your Dr. that you take your MFP diary of your food intake and water intake as well as any other symptoms you might be experiencing. Sometimes you have to push your Dr. to do the tests. I wish I had pushed more back in June when I had my physical and mentioned the dizzy spells then. Maybe I would not have had the fainting incident last week. Good luck with your Dr.
  • Kirsty_UK
    Kirsty_UK Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Bit of a necro-bump here but I just did a forum search because I have the same problem.

I've always had blood pressure on the low end of the normal range, and had dizziness when I stand up, but the last 2-3 weeks it's been worse than normal, so that I have to stand still for longer before it goes away.

I've been on mfp for around 7 months now, and actually the last 6 weeks or so I've not been so good with the diet and have plateaued, as well as not really exercising. I dont eat too few calories I'm sure. My target net cals are 1460 ish, and at most I'm only even 100 or so under that, but usually within 50 cals of target, or I'm quite a bit over (still getting back on the wagon!).

So I find it strange that I'm getting more dizzy now.

I've not fainted with it, but it is noticeably worse than I've had the rest of my life.
  • Nikki582
    Nikki582 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Wow, talk about reading my mind, twice in the last week I've felt like I'm about to faint, once after a really hot 5k race and again today, in the middle of the day for no reason - my co-workers were with me and noticed my face (colour drained, far-away stare) and had me sit down... If it keeps up I'll have to visit my doctor.
  • MrsODriscoll
    MrsODriscoll Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Dizziness may not be linked to diet or BP - it could also be a problem with your inner ear, which is what I have. More than two years since it first started I still don't have a full diagnosis. So it could be a wide range of things - also worth getting checked out for anemia, diabetes, thyroid problems etc - but my biggest advice is don't let the doctor fob you off! Keep pushing for tests etc until you get to the bottom of it. Dizziness of any kind is a horrid, scary feeling and I wouldn't wish it on anyone!