12k steps a day, any thoughts on how to count?

Options
I'm a floor nurse & wear a higher-priced pedometer each day for our wellness program. I average about 12k steps per day. Any thoughts on how to account for this movement? I've been counting 1 hr of 3.0mph walking. I know I'm stop & go a lot, with some longer stretches. I wanna be accurate but I wanna account as I need more food on those days. Any suggestions?

Replies

• trianaw
    trianaw Posts: 177
    Options
    Estimate how long it would take you not to stop. If that's 1 hour give yourself credit for walking @ a 3 mile pace for 1 hour. That way you'll get the calorie count.
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Have you ever considered a heart rate monitor. You wear it under your shirt and have a watch that is transmits to. What I would do, is change your activity level to and MFP will give you more cals.
  • gentsevetzak
    gentsevetzak Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    T
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Higher-priced pedometer should show you how far you went, that would be a good way to get a estimate. It's all going to depend on your stride.

Also, having said that, I'd probably change your lifestyle up a notch to lightly active and then stop accounting for the calories. In fact, it specifically mentions nurses:

"Lightly Active: Spend a good part of the day on your feet (e.g. nurse, salesman)"
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Change your activity setting to "active" then you don't have to worry about it. It's much easier than trying to count hours and gives you more cals to account for your active lifestyle.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Change your activity setting to "active" then you don't have to worry about it. It's much easier than trying to count hours and gives you more cals to account for your active lifestyle.

this
  • FoxyLeLe
    Options
    I'm a member of Virgin HealthMiles through my company. It's a pedometer based program and according to my uploads 12,000 steps is 5 miles. Walking at a pace of 3.0 that's a 20 minute mile so that would equate to 1 hour and 40 minutes.
  • fightingautism
    Options
    Thanks peeps. Yes my pedometer does account for distance and even calories burned...DUH! I should just go by what it says 'cause it only counts I think after 10 minute stretches. I do have my activity level somewhat accounted for but on my days off I'm lazier except for working out...still trying to get it all tweaked for optimal loss.